Suggestion about achievements.

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Pakuska
Young scout

Suggestion about achievements.

Post by Pakuska »

I wasnt really sure where to put this, so I created this topic.

I looked at the achievements on planet stronghold, and saw that none of them were secret, which isnt really a big deal to me if its about defeating chapters and what not. But when I saw who you could date, and who they were attracted too.
Spoiler:
For example prince thingy and michelle, I was surprised to learn they were gay. I would have liked to have found that out myself. :)
In short, any achievement that could possible spoil plot things like that. (I include things like that as a plot thing. XD I might be wrong about that.)

I usually look through achievements to get a sense of what kind of achievements there are, and how to unlock them. Its happened before that I skipped something like killing low level monsters that you couldnt get to anymore in a later stage.

it doesnt have to be secret, the plot achievements could be masked till you click it, while non plot achievements are just available at first glance, if you get what I mean! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Suggestion about achievements.

Post by jack1974 »

Ah so you mean that I shouldn't have hinted in the achievement about
Spoiler:
the gay attitude of Cliff and Michelle
? yes I understand what you mean, but I had people complaining about the opposite, that they didn't know which characters could be dateable from beginning. But probably the best solution is to give a generic hint, like each achievement had a name, but without revealing the details. For Loren is a bit late now but will remember it for future games.

edit: added the spoiler :)
Pakuska
Young scout

Post by Pakuska »

Funny how you say it openly while I try to keep it in a spoiler. xD And yea.. like always its just a personal preference, you cant make everybody happy. xD So I can understand it if you leave it how it is, I just like the mystery. >.< Though, im curious how you would do that though, give a hint with the name, and not revealing details. o.o
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

Maybe something like romance Cliff but you don't know which character can??
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, could do that, though for bisexual characters, if you look at achievement screen at beginning it would be a bit funny, because you would see "Romance Mesphit" and then again "Romance Mesphit" (one for each gender!) :lol:
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

Hmm then what about (not sure if you can do this) have one "Romance Mesphit" but when you romance him as the other gender you get the other "Romance Mesphit" that you couldn't see until that point. so secret hidden achievement.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

It's mostly a matter on how I organize the achievement screen: right now I used pages because want the players to see/know how many there are. I could just use a list, that gets updated as they're unlocked, so in the beginning was empty and then fills up. But all the achievement screen I saw in games were made like the first way...
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

is there a way to choose which one you want? I don't mind either way because I like knowing which one I'm going to date but for others this way might be an option?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The achievement screen should show ALL the achievement you have unlocked, not just the one you want. I don't want to overcomplicate things so much. The simplest solution will be not to show what the romance is about and just use a generic name. Like in PS I had "Take a ride with me" which means nothing, then you discover that's Lisa-Tom romance :)
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

Yes that sounds like the best plan :)