Saraphine

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
MarSel
Druid

Saraphine

Post by MarSel »

I have just finished Aleema's Game (Demo) Saraphine. I loved the story and was hooked right from the start and would play for five minutes at every chance I got, despite being really busy.
The characters were interesting and I felt a bond with all of them. The battles (that you didn't have to play if you didn't want to) were an interesting twist then the normal battles that you see in most games. Ere (the MC) was strange and I wanted to know all about her and am saddened that the demo is over now.
I would recommend that people give this demo a go and encourage Aleema to finish this wonderful game.

Link
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=4799
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Saraphine

Post by jack1974 »

Fun fact, playing that game is one of the things that convinced me to hire Aleema to write for Spirited Heart Girl's Love first and then Loren. Even if I didn't had time to play it all, I remember was quite cool 8)
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

I'm not surprised at all! I was gripped from start to finish and would love to play the whole thing!
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

Oh! Thank you! That was very kind. :) With the amount of work and money I've invested into the game, it will definitely need to be completed someday. I think working for Jack has taught me a lot about work ethic, and I've learned ways to get over writer's block, and I know how beneficial pre-planning can be. So what I'm saying is that, I think I'm a more efficient writer so Seraphine should be something I can get going again. Hopefully, of course. Very hopefully. :D
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

Well Let me know as soon as you do because I want to be first in line to buy :)
I just loved every minute! I loved the battles too, I do love an when people try new things! I think you are an amazing writing and if you think you have improved since you started writing Saraphine I can't wait to see what you can do to it now :)
One thing I was wondering though. On the forum you show party members, is this a set group or will there more more (or even better) Will your actions determine who joins and who don't. I only ask because I don't see Isolde and was wondering if you can recruit her and if so that would make more then the six shown and now i'm all excited!!!! :mrgreen: :) :P :o
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

Isolde is the most optional party member. She requires an up-front fee before she'll join you. I also wanted to keep her a bit secret for some reason. There are branches that decide when you will get party members, similar to Loren RPG now that I think about it. I actually want to create a branch there in the caravans where you get to leave Basil and Lander, and you'll meet other characters and join up later. But I can definitely say with a straight face that there will be more party members than I listed ... maybe not in the way you expect, though.

Also, the game is currently planned to be free.
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

O.M.G I think I am in love with you!! An awesome game AND it's free!! Wow wow wow.
Ahem!
I think that is a great idea and I like the fact that you can get her if you want. I always love Star Ocean 2, A wide range of characters and you couldn't have them all and it was a nice surprise when you came across a character who turns out to be amazing (Opera!) because you didn't want the same party again. I am even more excited now you have told me this!! :) :) :) :)
Themobboss
Young scout

Post by Themobboss »

After completing the demo I must say I'm impressed. The writing is strong especially with the main character, there's a nice job of giving the player enough to go on while keeping plenty of mystery over what all is going on. There are some impressive production values on the visuals and sound. The "shadow" CG's really grew on me over the course of the demo and did a nice job of conveying action. I also really liked the linking of places in description and conversation to the diary/codex, it was smartly done and fresh. The combat system took some getting used to. I found myself wondering if the one action for the group vs each foe getting an action each "round" was intentional. I really hope you do decide to move this project across the finish line, it looks well worth the effort.
Aleema
Official writer

Post by Aleema »

Haha, yes, that's a response I hear a lot in regards to the battle system. The enemies each get to attack once, but the party only gets to attack once. It's true, we're very used to considering each person in our group rather than as a whole. What my original idea was that your party members were like options, or like a hand of cards you drew from a deck (the more abilities you get for each of them, they'll show up randomly in each battle). You'd play a card that you were dealt with on your turn, and then everyone else around the table would play a card as well, like a card or board game. Now that analogy falls through when you consider that the other "players" (enemies) never attack each other, so I'll consider a tit-for-tat arrangement where each side gets to fight once. :)

I'm really glad the silhouettes have not received any negative feedback. Honestly, I can't draw well so this is my best option to have the amount of CGs I want, especially for a free game.

Thank you for trying ... and better yet, not saying it was total crap! :)

@MarSel: OMG, STAR OCEAN 2! I love that game so, so much.
I started as a hobbyist game maker. I never considered making money off of this stuff, and don't want to rope off my creations when they're done. I'm poor, I've always been poor, so I know how it feels.
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

Being rich is overrated I'm sure I wouldn't know though. I think it's great your doing what you love it like my book. When I got the body of the story down I wanted to see if it was any good and not a load of crap. It is so nice to get good feedback you feel all warm and fuzzy :)
Star Ocean 2 was the only game I would ever play! I think it lost what I loved about it after number 2. Who was your fav character? My was Opera as a fighter and I just loved how hot she! But Leon as a story (Poor Kid)
P.s I love the shadow Silhouettes I thought it added something. and the NPC's didn't get samey.