Release date?

Forum for the Loren Amazon Princess spin-off games
DarkWolf
Druid

Re: Release date?

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:57 am Yes but Bioware usually gets away by eliminating all the previous romanceable characters, or if they're still there, it's like if the romance never happened (or in any case, you can't romance them again in most cases). I'm doing something VERY different here (and it was a mistake) trying to allow players to go on with existing romances... :o
WTF are you talking about!? In ME trilogy you can continue romances true games, true some of those romances don't have as much impact if you do so as some characters simply aren't as much present around Shepard, for those that are you can continue romance normally. You sure you didn't mess up bringing in save from previous games when you played it?

That said yes, it's not fair to compare you to a multimillionaire company like Bioware, and even they are straying away from doing direct sequels.

That said you could still do expansions/DLCs like you did for Seasons of the Wolf, that way you can give fans more of what they want for popular titles without risking as much as with full sequel.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Has been a while since I played ME, I was referring mostly to Dragon Age :)
But are you sure about ME? I remember than in the second you could continue for example with Ashley (I think that was the name) and another couple characters but most of the team was different.

In any case I'd much prefer to do DLC to keep expanding romances than sequels for sure!
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

You were able to continue your romance with Ashley/Kaiden from ME1 in ME3. You were able to continue your romance with Liara from ME1 in DLC for ME2. There were several new romances in ME2. All earlier romances had some conclusion in ME3, even if some of them were really brief, and it also had a few new ones.

So yeah, the romances did continue, in fact the ME games were really good at bringing choices over from previous games. Not so with Dragon Age, but DA changed protagonists with each game, so it didn't matter as much.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 pm You were able to continue your romance with Ashley/Kaiden from ME1 in ME3. You were able to continue your romance with Liara from ME1 in DLC for ME2. There were several new romances in ME2. All earlier romances had some conclusion in ME3, even if some of them were really brief, and it also had a few new ones.
OK, so not like 8+ characters could have romance continued from a game to another! That's what I meant. In Loren 2 / PS 2 you can continue romances with ALL of them. If even multi-million companies don't do such big amounts (1-2 characters would be fine), there must be a reason :mrgreen:
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:21 pm
Franka wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:48 pm You were able to continue your romance with Ashley/Kaiden from ME1 in ME3. You were able to continue your romance with Liara from ME1 in DLC for ME2. There were several new romances in ME2. All earlier romances had some conclusion in ME3, even if some of them were really brief, and it also had a few new ones.
OK, so not like 8+ characters could have romance continued from a game to another! That's what I meant. In Loren 2 / PS 2 you can continue romances with ALL of them. If even multi-million companies don't do such big amounts (1-2 characters would be fine), there must be a reason :mrgreen:
The main reason direct sequels aren't made (so much) is simple math. To play direct sequel one must had play a prequel and you can't expect that all 100% of people who both a first game will also get a sequel, so while there are some exceptions where people who get interested in sequel before playing prequel will end up baying both games for most part selles only drop with each sequel. When making two separate games, while it remains that not all people who both one of them will both another (and chances are less will then with prequel/sequel situation), you will also get a lot more new people as well. So the only time you want to make a direct squeal is when a game was so popular that even 50%-75% of people who both that game far surpasses your average 100%.
With indirect sequel you get both, more people who both a previous game will come to this one as well as it is still a sequel but as it is not necessary to had played a prequel you will also make it friendly for newcomers. The same applies to spinoffs.
This is why in terms of sales indirect sequels and spinoffs are somewhat better then completely new titles (more for more popular titles) and both are far better then direct sequels with exception of massively popular titles and strange exceptions. When you also add a possibility that popularity of some title might be just a current boom and might fade before release of sequel it makes making of direct sequel a big risk (witch exception when a title is so popular that even your grandpa who doesn't know how to turn on a PC has heard about it :) ). This is also why even when direct sequels of games are made devs still try to make it as friendly to newcomers as possible and add as little things from prequel as possible (usually still trying to get little references that won't affect newcomers if they don't get it, to get that indirect squeal/spinoff effect). This is also why huge fans of particular title will never get what they want.
This affects other media as well but games are by far most affected by this of all the media.
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

DarkWolf wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:56 pm
jack1974 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:21 pm
---====SNIP===---
You can see this with Bioware, ME1-3 were direct sequels, then ME:A was a 'spinoff' of the success of the original trilogy. If you look at current Bioware trends with their current IPs DA has many sequels but spins-off the precursor with a new protagonist, drumming up interest with people new to the franchise while not completely ignoring their fanbase. (The story continues with a different narrator) It still acknowledges the prior playthrough as 'player cannon' but for new people, they can choose from a set of 'cannon' endings before they start off on their sojourn.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The hard thing is continuing romances. Continuing the story/starting new based on previous choices it's fine (that's what I did with SOTW DLC). But the romances are crazy. I mean, it's already very hard to write them "normally" in a new game. If we also need to add extra starting variables... is a bit too much.
Besides, I think sometimes you run out of ideas about things to write in a romance, and starting fresh with a new one could bring a better result.
**ODX**
Young scout

Post by **ODX** »

jack1974 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:00 am The hard thing is continuing romances. Continuing the story/starting new based on previous choices it's fine (that's what I did with SOTW DLC). But the romances are crazy. I mean, it's already very hard to write them "normally" in a new game. If we also need to add extra starting variables... is a bit too much.
Besides, I think sometimes you run out of ideas about things to write in a romance, and starting fresh with a new one could bring a better result.
I think you are missing Pace's point, DA, doesn't continue romances because there is a different protagonist for each game with a whole new set of romances, ie. what you did with Loren and SOTW. That is the way to go.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No I understand, indeed that's what I plan to do as well :)
Sallasar
Young scout

Post by Sallasar »

Oh, I can't wait for the second part to come out <3 I just have finished the first one, and it was incredible. I seriously wasn't expecting to find such an amazing indie rpg, when I was going through my steam recommendations. (Saren/Draco is amazing, I loved it so much <3 Romances with Amukiki and Mesphit were great too, in both writing and CGs). I've searched everywhere for the release date of Loren 2, and, I guess, I will have to wait a couple of years :) Just wanted to say that all the sneak peeks look wonderful, and I hope that the second part will be out someday, and I will be waiting. Especially since I found SotW and can play in this universe more :)