PSCD art restyle might be done

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: PSCD art restyle might be done

Post by jack1974 »

After basically 120 days (the manga version was relased towards 20-22 June) the PSCD Steam units are triplicated! So while I admit I was uncertain if was really worth it (spending again money to redo existing CGs) now I can say that it was DEFINITELY worth it.
And also that I'll never, absolutely never, do again a game with "realistic art" :lol:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Time to make another card game! You know you want to.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I know, but I'm not starting a new game until I finish at least a few of the various ones in the works since years (PS2, Loren2, UL)... :mrgreen:
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

Franka wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:25 pm Time to make another card game! You know you want to.
Oh you know he will, no matter what he says about his queue of games he has. :P
jack1974 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:44 pm Yes I know, but I'm not starting a new game until I finish at least a few of the various ones in the works since years (PS2, Loren2, UL)... :mrgreen:
Oh we know you are a sadist :shock: :lol: and more and likely have another super secret project going on in the background that you are holding quite close to your chest just waiting for the right moment to drop the bombshell on us! We know you like to tease us that way XD :wink: :twisted:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well wait a moment, now that I think about it, Undead Lily should be similar to a card game. I mean, using PSCD system but with some tweaks. I'm waiting for Anima to add "a few new features (tm)" and then I'll also resume the work on that game :wink:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

And in the Halloween Steam sale, PSCD is my 4th best selling game, used to be one of the last! This seems appropriate:
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I don't think it was the "realistic" style was the problem per se, but the original artist had some weaknesses (no artist is perfect) that people noticed and couldn't get over. I can't speak for everybody else, but for me, the facial expressions were hit or miss.

As for the artist who did manga version, the early art for Undead Lily looked rather rough, but the artist has grown since then.

Either way, I'm glad you got a return on your investment.
Last edited by Jaeger on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Perhaps it's simply more difficult to do good looking art that is not manga, but even when I tried with Vera Blanc I got bad results (though for that game maybe it was also the writing/characters/story the problem).
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

With stylized art in general, some bending of the rules is expected, so people tend to be a little more lenient. As you lean closer to realism, people will more easily notice your mistakes. Realism is often a good indicator of an artist's technical skills. Good manga artists can also draw solid realism. The problem is the really good artists are probably already busy and/or will demand more compensation for their work.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, also it's very different to draw a standard pin-up image/pose, and standard facial expression, versus a love CG with very uncommon poses. It requires a lot of anatomy skills to do it right.
Honestly I worked with a lot of artists, but probably the only ones which I can say have a very solid understanding of human anatomy are Loren's artist (obviously, he was the TOP), Rebecca (just wait to see some CG of Love Bites), Helen (UL/PSCD manga) and PS2 artist maybe.