the polygamy thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: the polygamy thread (SPOILERS!!!!)

Post by jack1974 »

Sorry but I cannot really add another route right now. This game has close to 40 CGs, and it has been very expensive to make.
Regarding another yuri game, you probably don't follow my Patreon (no problem, I know not everyone can pay), and while I don't want to reveal the details because I don't want to announce games in public anymore (as I posted in a blog some time ago) there are actually 4 unannounced games in the works with yuri romances. One it's even yuri only.

If we look at the upcoming games, the following have yuri romances:
Loren 2/3
PS2
Thieves Of Dingirra (which has another poly ending but this time you can choose if to do it or not)
Roger Steel
Undead Lily
Love Bites
Unannounced game with nomads :wink:
Unannounced fantasy game with witches :)
Unannounced dark fantasy game

and below, are YURI ONLY games:
<cursed game>
Summer In Trigue
Unannounced dating sim which is almost finished writing. Treats yuri with more "adult themes". I think people should like it.

and probably I forgot something. So if your fear is to not have more yuri romances coming from me, that won't be the case for sure!!! :lol:
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

Ok, thanks for telling me, but please, in the future, if you want to add poly romances, do not count them as Yuri if they have a guy in it, and please, don't make them all to be poly, PLEASE.
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

jack1974 wrote: Thieves Of Dingirra (which has another poly ending but this time you can choose if to do it or not)
Sorry for gettin off-topic of AMS, but this name piqued my curiosity: in the game one plays as a thief? Or a party of such?

Also, when (approx.) will such be out? When I first heard Chalassa was gonna return I got eager to see this, since she was my fave female character in SOTW! :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Madance wrote:Ok, thanks for telling me, but please, in the future, if you want to add poly romances, do not count them as Yuri if they have a guy in it, and please, don't make them all to be poly, PLEASE.
Yes obviously. It wasn't even my own idea :lol: but that's a long story, suffice to say that all future poly romances will be optional.
BobTheMob wrote:Sorry for gettin off-topic of AMS, but this name piqued my curiosity: in the game one plays as a thief? Or a party of such?
Yes, you play as a kick-ass thief :)
I don't know when will be out but I don't think this year, even if it's quite advanced. Need to figure out the gameplay first.
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

I am a bit late to the party but let me share my opinion.

While I am a big fan of yuri and I tend to not play otome routes when yuri ones are available I also do like polygamy, and while I would definitely prefer poly relationship between 3 girls (hopefully we will see that too one day) and don't like guys crawling their way into my yuri kingdom :mrgreen: I actually liked
Spoiler:
Cosmina & Reed route quote a bit and I really liked how their 3 way relationship with Amber was working, and while I might argue that I would also like an option for Amber to be only with Cosa I actually don't think that relationship between only two of them would have the charm that they have now. On the other hand I hated Amber x Lynn x Lair triangle, to begin with I hated Lair since the the young age part of a game when he invited Amber on an unavoidable date then when his father showed up offended Amber and send her home he was only standing there not saying anything and then still had a guts to not only show in front of amber again but to even invite her to another unavoidable date. I also hated how Lynn has treated Amber there like a plaything and how she was always secondary to her.
Magnux7
Young scout

Post by Magnux7 »

Firstly, I want to say that I quite enjoyed the game overall :)

Sadly though, I was really disappointed with Lyn's light+ ending.. She was my favorite girl, but the whole harem thing(on Lyn's part) put me off greatly.
I mean, I was expecting it to be a Yuri route, and then I kinda don't want a guy to be involved. Wanted Lyn all for myself, you know? :roll:
Also feel the same as DarkWolf that I disliked how Lyn treated Amber sometimes. Really hurt me a bit inside..

Not much of a surprise at this point, but I feel Lyn's dark+ ending was a hell lot more satisfying lol ^^
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Madance wrote:Wow... It's pretty ... disapointing for me the way the "romances"(sorry to say it, but I don't see any polygamic relationship as romantic at all and now I'm really unconfortable with the game) were handled. Really, no one thought that thoses things wouldn't be nice to yuri players(specially female ones)? Because it wasn't cool at all.
I understand your sentiment, since Cosmina and Lynn are the only two characters I am interested in, and I agree even with the edit, the Lynn Light ending is still a polygamous relationship (just centered around Lynn instead of Amber). I'm still debating myself whether or not I want to get the game now. (I also wouldn't call this fanservice for male players, being a male player myself. Maybe if it was an FFF.)

But to step back and look at the development perspective, it's really late in the process to be adding routes to the story. If you tried at this point, you'd essentially be making a new game. The bulk of development with these games is the writing and artwork, especially in terms of the amount of time needed. Jack's options are to either delay the game for several months (which would be bad from a cash flow perspective, I don't think he has another game close to release and it's been half a year since his last release), release as-is and try to come up with a DLC to balance the relationships (eta 1-2 years - or more, see <cursed game>!), or release as-is and apply the lessons learned towards other upcoming games (which it sounds like he is doing).

Not all games will appeal to all players, and it sucks that this is the only crafting game we're likely to see from WW. However, I do think he'll take the lessons to heart and not repeat the same mistake in the future.

But that said, I do think the marketing is misleading (I wouldn't count the Cosmina ship in the male/female romances as is currently listed) and he should probably prepare for a lot of angry comments on steam about the yuri options.
Madance
Druid

Post by Madance »

WHAT! CHALASSA IS GOING TO RETURN?! WHERE CAN I THROW MY MONEY?! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE MY DEMON'S SPAWN! *____* She is like the top romance for me, along with Galina(but since I'm talking about aravorn's games, she doens't count) my goddess Chamby *________*
...Please tell me she isn't a romance option(since she is alive, that means she must be with Althea, I hope), but a character you interact with(I wouldn't mind to have the option to try to flirt with her but the player would be rejected, just for the players who want those options in games, like in Dragon Age 2 you character couldn't get with Aveline no matter how much you try, she simply wasn't into them XD)...
Now I'm excited for the game!
I understand your sentiment, since Cosmina and Lynn are the only two characters I am interested in, and I agree even with the edit, the Lynn Light ending is still a polygamous relationship (just centered around Lynn instead of Amber). I'm still debating myself whether or not I want to get the game now. (I also wouldn't call this fanservice for male players, being a male player myself. Maybe if it was an FFF.)
I liked Cosmina as well, I don't know why. Lynn is nice but I was more interested in her and Ruby(Specially Ruby, Vampires rules *___*). I was quite... Sad(not really pissed, just sad), since I have some issues with having a male in the middle(even if I like Reed as a character). I wouldn't be acting like that if was a FFF(even if it is by far one huge fanservice fest), since it would still be between three women, as I said before, I probably wouldn't do the romance(maybe only for obtain the achievement), but I would still consider a Yuri path.
In the developer point of view, I get that is practically impossible to change anything drastically. It was quite misleading, and I'm also sure there will be other players saying all kinds of stuff against it, but I want to make clear, that I'm not really bashing the game, I actually liked the setting, Amber as character and most things, I just wished it wasn't done like the way it was, since Yuri players actually have 2 just romances purely yuri. I would vote for an DLC with an additional yuri romance(and even pay for it if it was necessary), but I know the problems involved. First, the artist is gone to work in other kinds of things, the ending would need 4 cgs and most importantly: it would cost more money. So, is quite unlikely, even if I actually like the Idea of a DLC.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I never said that Chalassa would return!! At best will be a cameo :)
(I really should stop posting and focus on working on my games... :lol:)
Troyen wrote:Not all games will appeal to all players, and it sucks that this is the only crafting game we're likely to see from WW. However, I do think he'll take the lessons to heart and not repeat the same mistake in the future.
Yes, in such a situation next time I'll only keep a single yuri option, the one I designed myself, and not ask someone else to add 2 extra yuri options, trusting him. I mean, I was too busy working so I couldn't do it myself, but from now on I need to pick carefully and not delegate to people who don't know my players as I do :)
It was still my fault of course since I approved everything, but it's hard to work with such constant pressure to ship games to survive and keep players happy. So next time, just 1 yuri option, at least it was designed by me and juding from players reaction it's also the best one (Ruby).
Troyen wrote:But that said, I do think the marketing is misleading (I wouldn't count the Cosmina ship in the male/female romances as is currently listed) and he should probably prepare for a lot of angry comments on steam about the yuri options.
In the status you mean? I put it below, since are two rows of 3, I couldn't put anywhere else. In the game I even added some extra text. Like when you choose if to be otome or yuri it tells you that Cosmina AND REED (I added that everywhere so it's obvious that it's about both) the text says that that route is always enabled since has both romances.
I'll make it very clear about the game content so at least on Steam people won't be so angry :)

From now on I'll stop replying since I think I've said everything (already in the first posts), and I need to keep working on the next games (with so many yuri options...!) :mrgreen:
anita
Young scout

Post by anita »

OK so first of all, let me say that overall liked the game.
I can understand some people are pissed. However for me, what mattered is the story. I play everything. I loved Heirs & Graces and was my first yaoi game.
I think honestly players are too obsessed over this "romance" thing. A love story, or a good story is good if is good, not if you're hetero, trans, homosexual, anything? right? so if you're lesbian, you'll never watch Brokebak Mountains, right? haha
(forgive my English)
Anyways, let's talk about the otome path then:
Spoiler:
At least Lynn never dies!! What about Lair's ending in which he is killed and Amber thrown in jail! Daniel where he becomes a demon-mage or something? Bernard! When he kills Amber??
I mean as otome player then I should be very angry at Jack too because many otome romances had bad endings.
If you want to be angry at someone you'll find any excuse. I think would have been much worse if the game had poor writing or stupid stories like the many you see on Steam nowadays.
There are some yuri only games on Steam that don't even last a SINGLE ROUTE of this game and cost $9.99. Just playing Ruby's path makes this game better than 90% of the fanservice crap I saw on Steam recently! (I speak of indie games only)
Also the pin up images are wonderful.

I respect opinions but seems like people are always expecting something more from you and I think mostly the negative ones post here. So just wanted to reassure you.