Amber development

A fantasy crafting/dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/ambersmagicshop.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Amber development

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the fixes, will add in the game now :)
Regarding this:
Troyen wrote:I think your guild names should be plural possessive because guilds by definition are more than one person.

Thus, Adventurers' Guild, Mages' Guild, etc. Or at least be consistent on usage, a few places were missing an apostrophe. Maybe in the rest of the game text too.
Yes I noticed too and was wondering if was correct or not. I am used to plurals too, though in the whole game Forsaken wrote them as singular, so "Mage's Guild, Adventurer's Guild, etc".
In the game texts is consistent (all singular), so I guess at this point I'll make sure that in my events text is the same too :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Yeah, this seems like one of those cases where the technically correct version is the plural, but so many other people use the singular that most people may not notice. I've even seen a split on published games where some use one type and others use the other.

The big thing is consistency. Make sure they all have a '

Boy, am I glad I don't have to learn English as a second language.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

You can learn italian as second language! :mrgreen:
Jokes apart, I'm having issues making this stupid tasks/quests thing using Class library. Anima can't work right now, and everything else is ready. I'll concentrate on finishing the beta demo and maybe do some of my usual spaghetti coding for the tasks :lol: just to make it work!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Incredible! I managed to put together a working Task system :lol:
It's horribly coded, but so far in my tests it seems to work. I need to expand it more for the adult age tasks where they could give you different rewards. I also am going to have only 1 recipe/item requirement, since while playing it I realized it's already hard enough to finish just one recipe.
So they could ask you to craft 5 iron ingot in 3 days, etc but not 3 iron ingots and 5 greenwood planks and 3 fertilizers. That was planned but honestly while playing it, was super hard to meet the requirements, so...
This afternoon I plan to tweak the tasks more and then code the "end of demo" stuff, and also up to the end of the young age. The story will end there in any case for now, but still are 5 scenes for each character, so should keep people busy while I finish coding :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Now beside XP/Reputation, the rewards include also new Recipes or Items, like the one above (a container with various ore items) 8)
I'm taking more time than I thought to do this, but I want to do a very polished demo. Of course, polished doesn't mean there can't be bugs! :twisted:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

See, I really needed to buy and play Horizons: Zero Dawn to inspire me to add reward chests to the game! :wink:
Jokes apart (it's definitely not a new thing) it's fun, since the chests are filled with randomized items quantities. In the images above I got various crafting items. There are chests full of wood,ore,gems items, which is an interesting reward :)

Today I took half-day off since in the last 3-4 days I've been working like crazy and I don't want to get burned out. I asked Anima to fix a vendor bug, once that is done the beta can surely start. Meanwhile I keep adding new features and stuff 8)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Hmm, the really long names like "Minor Crafting Items Chest That May Or May Not Contain Good Rewards" can get a little hard to read when they overlap the icon by several lines. E.g. the "Chest" in the above image.

If fixing the alignment is too difficult, you may be able to shorten it by removing the word "Items".
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hmm actually not, I think I can make an exception (I used the global item display function that needs tomake sure the text stays inside the icon, since there could be other icons displayed on the side, but this is a special case).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Now when you get a new task, you'll see a recipe prevew including how's the "ingredients situation". This way will be easier to decide if to accept or not (before you would just get the recipe/item name and quantity, and you couldn't know how much stuff you already had).
I also decided that I'm going to keep the XP reward lower for the tasks, since you can cheat and buy the items in one of the various vendors :mrgreen: Of course I could have the items magically disappear from all the vendors of the game but wouldn't feel right. It doesn't happen often, but many times I could buy 1-2 missing items and craft the rest. I think it's fine as it is - the people giving you a task don't care if you buy or make the items yourself, they just want the goods :)
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

jack1974 wrote:Well regarding that there's a simple trick though. ALL the "romance events" (they're not really romance, more like getting to know each character better in the early years) of young age need to be played. Then, the 5th scene of each character is a "tough choice", that affects the 6th scene, but if you save just before that, you can use that save as starting point to unlock ALL endings.
If you manage to stay neutral enough you could even save at the beginning of the adult age.
But maybe I'll just provide a way to skip to a good starting point after you beat the game once. If I can't do a full "VN Mode", at least some way to quick replay the game :)
Sounds like Loren just before the love triangle break-up scenes which you could arrange to all occur at the same time and thus save just before, except instead of irate RO's there's a different sort of "tough choice" that will lock you into a romance for the rest of the game.