making a "good visual novel"

Games based mostly on classic VN gameplay without skills, statistics, etc to raise
ValHallen
Druid

Re: making a "good visual novel"

Post by ValHallen »

jack1974 wrote: I know, though all the future CCG/RPGs (like PSCD) will have all romances options (except QoT). The ideal for me would be do the same in dating sims and like Roomates offer all possibilities, though of course in that case the amount of romances available for each gender would be less :)
Dont worry Jack, I know the majority of yours customers are womans, and I think you are right in focusing on them.
It will be agonizing to wait a new game from you, I know the next games ( c14, yuri Nicole, QoT, Heirs and Grace, Amber Magic Shop, Summer in Trigue) will take a lot of time.
Hopefully the DLC Bad Blood will be realeased this year.
Last edited by ValHallen on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

ValHallen wrote: Dont worry Jack, I know the majority of yours customers are womans, and I think you are right in focusing on them.
Yeah, on Steam I think the percentage is more balanced though :)
ValHallen wrote: Hopefully the DLC Bad Blood will be realeased this year.
I believe so, I've already coded the big mini/meta game. Even if I'm burned out, so every time I need to design a new battle is a pain :lol: but still what is really missing now is the art, which probably will take until Summer (there are several new CGs and some characters).
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

ValHallen wrote:
Troyen wrote:
ValHallen wrote:Maybe a VN/Date-Sim with the possibility to play as a hetero male char :P
Like this one?
This one is yaoi only, isnt it?
Sorry, was tired and totally misread your statement.
SweetLove
Young scout

Post by SweetLove »

Troyen wrote:
kadakithis wrote:7) Don't have exactly, romantic choices, but have the characters talk to one another and after so many chats, the character comes on to the player (based on personality maybe? so Draco liked funny guys, but Loren "hated" them) and so they are pursuing the MC (which is what is being done anyway on a meta level anyway from your standpoint) and the MC can start something, deny them, or have a 3rd, I don't know option. Players aren't used to being pursued game mechanics wise-
Are there any games like that? That sounds like a refreshing change of pace if done well.
Considering that sounds like all games with invisible variables for its romance options, I'd say it's quite common myself.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm necro-resurrecting this thread from almost 2 years ago... :lol:
This because in the meanwhile I released a few games. The thing is that I have added the "VN Mode" to most new games I made (PSCD, Queen Of Thieves, Never Forget Me, etc) and I've noticed an interesting thing: a lot of people played the games in that mode, so as pure visual novels. I know this from several sources (and also because there was a bug in the scheduler mode in Never Forget Me that was found only a month after release!).
So perhaps my assumption that my first visual novels did badly because were written by me or had uninteresting story/premise/characters might be actually true.
I still plan to go on and offer whenever possible a VN Mode, but maybe also try to do some pure VN again in future :)
MKrone
Young scout

Post by MKrone »

Good Evening. What means PSCD again?
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

Planet Stronghold: Colonial Defence, the card game/VN prequel to Planet Stronghold.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI