An idea I had for possible new episodes

A forum dedicated to my comic-styled games series called "Vera Blanc"
jack1974
Pack leader

An idea I had for possible new episodes

Post by jack1974 »

While I still want to make a "bigger" version of Vera game, that plays like a normal adventure, I was wondering about another idea I had today.
Would people be interested in playing a smaller version, with less texts, without minigames (maybe only the mind-reading one since is the most fun) playable online for much lower amount, like $5 each episode?
I was thinking that this way I probably could keep writing the stories (which I believe are the most interesting aspect of the games) and not spend too much time on each episode. Being online could help the virality of the game and the low price would be a no brainer to buy (I had some people complaining about the price, especially those coming from casual market).
I'm asking because I found a new comic artist, so I could make either a standard webcomic or a different kind of game like I explained.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know :)
fleetp
Druid

Re: An idea I had for possible new episodes

Post by fleetp »

Hi. First off let me say I really like the Vera Blanc games (you've inspired me to write some of my own games, not suitable for general release :air_kiss_2: ).

The reason I like the Vera Blanc games is because of the stories. I wish they were longer (the price is a bit much for a game that I can finish in a few hours; for $15-20 I've come to expect 8 hours or more of game play). The mind reading mini-game is a lot of fun, and not especially hard. Making the games on-line at a lower price (I would hope) should increase sales, and reduce piracy.

I'd recommend longer playing time per episode. In order to do this for on-line gaming, you'd have to figure out a way for the player to save his/her progress.
I'd also recommend making the demos shorter (the Full Moon demo should have ended when they reached town).

I will continue to support the Vera Blanc games not matter what direction you take.

Very respectfully,
fleetp
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the support. The problem is that to fill 8h of gameplay with the current system I should write a story of 100k words and it's really hard - book writer write such long stories but once a year, not every 2-3 months ;)
An alternative would be to have more adventure-like puzzles. You know, inventory and "use key on door". That's how even multi-million adventure games like Lucasfilm ones manage to keep the game long - because the length is an eternal problem of story-based games.
So was thinking that maybe would have been better to find an alternative way (online and much lower price) to keep everyone happy. Well, maybe I'll make an attempt at this online thing and see how it goes!
Xavim2000
Young scout

Post by Xavim2000 »

Why not ask for your readers to try to help submit writing things to you for stories and such for the game?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I have already some people who write for me but is hard to put together a game, especially of this kind (all clues, all possible path). Also unfortunately it seems that the problem with this specific game is that people didn't like to read much :) So if I make new episodes they'll need to have much less texts (more like a classic adventure game).
Riviera
Young scout

Post by Riviera »

I think this sounds great. However, one of the reasons I liked this game so much (and bought it when the point came up in the web version) is because of the great dialogue and story. Along with the fun minigames, to be sure, but I really liked the dialogue.

Please don't cut the text too much! If anything, I'd make a skip function available for folks who don't like to read. They can check the clues notebook to catch up on what they missed.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I plan to make something like man FPS do. Have a dialogue, but with a skip button that skips the WHOLE dialogue and then you just see in the notepad what you discovered/what is your next task (as you suggested).
This way both people should be happy (those who like to read and those who don't).
One thing is sure though, the next games will have much more puzzles similar to those adventure games, otherwise casual player won't even play it, and I need a big userbase to be able to produce more episodes.

P.S. if you liked the webgame share the link :) thanks
Riviera
Young scout

Post by Riviera »

Oh, I have! Sent it to two friends while I was playing it. :mrgreen:

Best of luck, I've enjoyed pretty much all your games I've tried!
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

When can we expect episode 3?
very respectfully,
fleet
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Unfortunately, the two Vera games sold really badly, less than any other game I've made :oops: so, while I really love writing more stories, I am considering what to do next. Clearly another game using the same system is out of discussion.
Either I find another way to keep writing Vera's stories, don't know maybe a webcomic or as I said something more interactive like an adventure, or I need to wait until I can afford to do it just as hobby.
A real pity, since I have already at least 3 more stories ready "in my mind" :mrgreen: