Episode 2?

A forum dedicated to my comic-styled games series called "Vera Blanc"
Stareater
Young scout

Episode 2?

Post by Stareater »

Just finished playing Vera Blanc - Episode 1 and really liked the game. You did a good job in making this game. Even though it has pretty good replayability it still leaves one hungry for more. I know it will probably not be in the immidiate future but what are the odds of an episode 2? If there is an episode 2 planned when can we start expecting it+
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Episode 2?

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks :) You'll be happy to know that episode 2 is already finished, but is under proofreading/editing (I am not native english speaker so need to have my texts checked).
As for the future, I have to see. Doing a fullgame like that (with all the various possible paths) is a lot of work, I am wondering if would be possible to make a more linear plot, so that effectively the game would be even longer, but faster for me to write.
I really like the character/story/setting I've made and I really want to make more games after 2nd episode (which will be identic to the first for gameplay system). But I am not sure what is the right direction to take (more adventure game maybe?) to get a better return of time/money spent (the game is doing OK, but to make it worthwhile should do a bit better).
Stareater
Young scout

Post by Stareater »

Great news! Will keep an eye out for episode two and will buy it as soon as it is announced.

Sad to hear that the game should be going better to be worthwhile. Will try and do my part by spreading the word. There is probably at least one good reason for not doing it, but I think your games would sell even better if you managed to get at least the PC version distributed via steam. I know many people use steam to browse for new games and it would probably eliminate most illegal redistribution of the donwloaded files.

I agree with that the characters and setting is really good and an original twist to the adventure game genre. The only game I really can compare it to is the really old "bureau 13" game. Which is also a great game with high path branching factor and replayability.

The large number of paths is obviously one of the reasons to why the game really stands out from the heap of other mystery adventure games. Since I work as a senior software developer I really understand that it is time consuming to make many distinct paths and not very cost effective. I really hope that you find some clever way of keeping the number of paths fairly high and still make a decent profit. A completely linear game would kill some of the enjoyment for the gamer. If you have to cut back on it I think that just having an illusion of there being a choice will probably go a long way for many gamers.

Keep up the good work. Will eagerly be waiting for an episode 3, 4 and 5 as well. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

haha you know, your post made me very angry, not at you of course, but at Steam :mrgreen:
I would really LIKE to be on Steam. But they don't want my games. I have made quite many games (and while I complain, I know that many of them sells more than other similar games made by indies) but of 20+ games, steam doesn't want ANY :(
Well, I don't know what to say...I also know how some colleagues developers got into it, and has nothing to do with quality of games (basically, phoning them, emailing, asking a friend who knows someone that work there, etc. some really creative ways to get into Steam!).
Anyway, I really will try to make more episodes. Maybe I'll have to pause and make a more "commercial game" to raise some funds to pay for another episode. I had even the idea of making it a webcomic, but I am not sure really could be a good idea :o
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_fPrt0PVhk&hd=1
one of the first videos of the 2nd episode. The atmosphere is quite relaxed but soon it will change :)
Hesquidor
Young scout

Post by Hesquidor »

I just completed my first good ending for Vera Blanc and I have to say I really like this game. I like the both the setting you've created and the characters of Vera and Brandon (especially their snarky dialouge and the touch of UST).

If I do have one complaint about the game though; it is the spot the difference minigame. I just seems to be of poorer quality than the rest of the game - mainly because the "differences" are just simply symbols transposed onto the original image. I would prefer it there was real changes in the picture, or perhaps replace that minigame entirely with some sort of pixel hunt (looking for clues)?

I'm sorry to hear the game isn't selling too good. I'm eagerly looking forward to Ep2 (and really wishing for three, four and five). Personally, I wouldn't mind a cutback on the game's branches. Aslong as there was an appearence of choice (like how you deal with Eva flirting with Bradon on the train) I'd still be pretty happy. One of my favorite games of all time is Famicom Tantei Club Part II, a detective/mystery/horror VN for the SNES. It's nearly entirely linear, but I always play it once a year because I enjoy it's story so much.
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

Jack,
I watched the video. You sold me, provided the screens in episode 2 is as easy to mod as episode 1.
:P
very respectfully,
fleet
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hesquidor: thanks for the feedback and glad you liked the game :) well I agree on you with that one, a good suggestion I had was to add real object to hunt (like you see on the left 1 vase, and on the right 2 aligned vases, something like that). For the 2nd episode I probably will keep it that way (with bigger differences so is easier/less frustrating), since I have already done all the art.
I am having fun writing the story, more than my other games, so if was just for me, I would write 10 more episodes! Well, word of mouth counts, so if you liked the game talk about it in forums/blogs/facebook and reccommend it to friends.

fleetp: yes the "modding" system is identic to the first one ;) tomorrow will upload a new video that I'm sure you'll like :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc2npagOOjc&hd=1
new video, some more funny dialogues between Vera and Brandon, but then finally the ghost makes his appearance in the game. You also see Vera's best profile in the video :lol:
fleetp
Druid

Post by fleetp »

She looks nice from the rear, too!
:oops:
I'll post the link for the upcoming game at my favorite web site.
best regards,
fleetp