Undead Lily gameplay reboot

Previously known simply as "Undead Lily" or "Undead Lily and The Elemental Avengers"
jack1974
Pack leader

Undead Lily gameplay reboot

Post by jack1974 »

I thought to make another thread since the old one could be confusing... :lol:
So, the game now it's a RPG, and has a "world map":
which is beautiful! 8)
In practice without spoiling anything of the story you'll have to fight battles in the 6 elemental "regions" (Life, Death, Fire, Water, Air, Nature/Earth).
Each region will of course have specific enemies (the original avatars designed for the card game).
Of course it's early design stage so ANYTHING can change, but the current idea is:
1) Even if it's a RPG, you'll be able to bring max 3 characters/heroes on each battle. They don't fight directly but can "cast spells" and summon creatures related to their alignment. We're thinking of course how to avoid "Lily/Ace must always be in party", since we want to give freedom. So an alternative could be that you can summon any unlocked creature, and the characters you choose will only influence the spells.
2) There are 72 creatures made in total, so we're thinking at first you start with 1-2 creatures for each character. Fighting battles will allow you to "collect" creatures. Sort of Pokemon :) You'll be able to collect resources for each element, and they can be used either to summon creatures in battles, or to level up the creatures. Each individual creature should gain XP and level up in battle :)
3) The central castle will be the "hub" where all the "camp talk" takes place. The main "flow" will be a round of talks, then you'll need to do some battles to free parts of the 6 regions, and then talk again. Repeat until the final boss/battle.

I am quite confident that this system, mixed with the very original setting, and the great art (and music/writing) will make this game one of my best games so far. We'll see if that's true :lol:
DarkWolf
Druid

Re: Undead Lily gameplay reboot

Post by DarkWolf »

While I liked the idea of a card game system I must admit that I like this one even more and from what I know of story I think that this gameplay system might be even more fitting for a story. You are also probably going to get lots of points from all monster colleting game fans.
That map looks really great, true is castle going to change depending on whatever you play as order or chaos? Looks a bit too dark now too be a base of forces of order.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The castle is "neutral" :) though maybe I can look into making it change based on alignment, might be a fun idea.
Callista
Young scout

Post by Callista »

I wanted to say as well how much I like that the gameplay is going to be a RPG. I love battling and that world map looks beautiful. I'll be keeping an eye out for this. ^^
Looking for a high quality editor? Then check out my page here: https://callista.itch.io/
Exizel
Woods ranger

Post by Exizel »

DarkWolf wrote:While I liked the idea of a card game system I must admit that I like this one even more and from what I know of story I think that this gameplay system might be even more fitting for a story. You are also probably going to get lots of points from all monster colleting game fans.
That map looks really great, true is castle going to change depending on whatever you play as order or chaos? Looks a bit too dark now too be a base of forces of order.
order=/=good and chaos=/=evil, Saying that the castle is too dark for the force the order makes no sense, I want to avoid the "force of order are good and the force of chaos are evil" thing.
Both order and chaos have good and bad side

exemple of the bad side of order:"killing or put in a jail someone because he/she has a different opinion/religion/etc.. that is against the country's law"
exemple of the good side of chaos:"freedom of expression and liberty to choose what you want to do with your life"

Those exemples are oversimplify and extreme but it justs to give an idea.

Edit:I forgot to comment ,on the news,I love the world and the idea for the batlle system,
I have to says it is that now with this battle system, the main character don't feel like heroes but god summoning their heroes
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes true, it was the writer who suggested to change from evil/good to order/chaos :) so I have to give him merit for this!
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

Exizel wrote:
DarkWolf wrote:While I liked the idea of a card game system I must admit that I like this one even more and from what I know of story I think that this gameplay system might be even more fitting for a story. You are also probably going to get lots of points from all monster colleting game fans.
order=/=good and chaos=/=evil, Saying that the castle is too dark for the force the order makes no sense, I want to avoid the "force of order are good and the force of chaos are evil" thing.
Both order and chaos have good and bad side

exemple of the bad side of order:"killing or put in a jail someone because he/she has a different opinion/religion/etc.. that is against the country's law"
exemple of the good side of chaos:"freedom of expression and liberty to choose what you want to do with your life"

Those exemples are oversimplify and extreme but it justs to give an idea.

Edit:I forgot to comment ,on the news,I love the world and the idea for the batlle system,
I have to says it is that now with this battle system, the main character don't feel like heroes but god summoning their heroes
I didn't say that castle looks too evil for force of order but that it looks too dark, dark and evil/bad are not the same thing and based on characters art I did get impression that chaos is more of a dark style while order is more of a light, but light =/=good and chaos =/=evil.
Exizel
Woods ranger

Post by Exizel »

The way you said it gives me the impression that you were talking about order and chaos in general and not the cast :mrgreen: .
Based on the cast, I imagine the force of chaos in castle with brigther color and the force of order in castle with light color,so in this case the current castle doesn't really fit the force of chaos.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

The map looks really cool and it'll be interesting to see the WW take on pokemon.

But this statement
jack1974 wrote:We're thinking of course how to avoid "Lily/Ace must always be in party", since we want to give freedom. So an alternative could be that you can summon any unlocked creature, and the characters you choose will only influence the spells.
seems to conflict with this one:
Each individual creature should gain XP and level up in battle :)
in that it sounds like only the battle participants gain XP. So like with Loren 1, unless you spend a huge amount of time grinding all 72 romanceable pokemon up, you're probably just going to settle on your star team and stick with them. And that probably means the last summons you unlock would be the least used, since they're starting from a disadvantage. Unless there was some kind of "catchup" mechanic (e.g. half the stats are based on individual level, but half the stats are based on summoner level).
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I have to think about this, but an idea was to spend those resources to power up your creatures. There would be limits to stats based on level and so on, so you can't overpower your creatures. But I need to figure this out yet. Or simply the creatures all level at same time, or don't have any level up (easier solution haha).