future "other games" :D

Other older games including sports simulation, wargames, strategy
Pace675
Druid

Re: future "other games" :D

Post by Pace675 »

Well I am still hoping one day you do 3D art, though I will confess I'll stick around even if you never do 3D (I understand artist cost for 3d rendering is a lot pricier , and not having a mocap capabilities near you, animations would be a biatch, manually doing animations see what it did for femshep in Mas effect series.....)

I know you want to try out that unity engine there Wolf! XD come on you want to! :twisted:

Oh from that linked thread did you ever try out LiS? XD
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Nah I have done some tests and 3D is really crazy. It's too hard to have decent-looking characters. Landscapes, sure. But having a consistent style with the characters... that requires pro 3D artists and obviously are out of my reach :lol: if you noticed, many indie 3D games are indeed "survival" or first person with simple landscape exploration, and I suspect exactly because having realistic looking and moving 3d characters is really hard.

What is LiS ?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah you mean life is strange! Yes of course I played it, one of my favorite games ever (I think I posted about it in the Golden Lion Pub subforums a while ago!) :)
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:Nah I have done some tests and 3D is really crazy. It's too hard to have decent-looking characters. Landscapes, sure. But having a consistent style with the characters... that requires pro 3D artists and obviously are out of my reach :lol: if you noticed, many indie 3D games are indeed "survival" or first person with simple landscape exploration, and I suspect exactly because having realistic looking and moving 3d characters is really hard.

What is LiS ?
Maybe you could do something like many JRPGs do where you have characters and story in 2D but have battles in 3D in a chibi style, true personally I prefer 2d anyway when it comes to characters.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes though should be a cute RPG in general I think. Would be weird for example to have Loren/Planet Stronghold battles in chibi :lol:
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:Yes though should be a cute RPG in general I think. Would be weird for example to have Loren/Planet Stronghold battles in chibi :lol:
I think that depends on art style you use, not all chibi characters are super cute and silly. There are also many more serious JRPGs that do this, for example Agarest generations of war or old Final Fantasy Games.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah yes true. I need to play more JRPG actually, I know well the WRPG but haven't played many JRPG at all!
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

Played undertale recently, no romances (er not really), 8 bit, bullet hell, many things I am not fond of and I played that game and fell in love due to the characters and fun premise, so I am down with it, just be unique.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Made a post with more details about this: blog/2016/03/trying-something-different/
DarkWolf
Druid

Post by DarkWolf »

jack1974 wrote:Made a post with more details about this: blog/2016/03/trying-something-different/
I am a bit confused by this post as there is a part where you speak about "dead periods" problem and your ideas for slowing them but then while talking about possible solutions you jump to opposite problem when you burn out by too much coding in games that have too complex gameplay, but as I see it wouldn't adding more to gameplay actually slow your "dead periods" problem as you don't need to w8 for other assets to work on gameplay elements, so when you have a dead period you simply add more of gameplay elements to games already in work?