King of Dragon pass

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

King of Dragon pass

Post by jack1974 »

First of all I merged the other "generic subforum" here into a single one since wasn't making much sense to keep two separated ones :)

Then I wanted to talk about that game. I never played it but of course I heard about it. I finally got it in a Humble for Android and out of curiosity decided to try it. I must say I am impressed :)
It's a sort of war/strategy text game, there are pictures of course but the feeling is more like a visual novel or those old MS-DOS games. I haven't played a full game yet so I don't know all aspects but I guess there's no "romance" :mrgreen:

But I like the possibility to actually feel in charge of an empire/faction or something, doing decisions and moving troops/fighting on a map, still everything surrounded by choices/scenes.

Anyway, I think I'll do something like that in future (remote future obviously!). I've asked a coder friend to do a hex-grid wargame system and maybe will turn out useful when I try to do a game like this...
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: King of Dragon pass

Post by Franka »

I was never really able to get into this game. In this Age of Convenience, reading a manual is so outdated. :wink:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I admit it's not very intuitive indeed. What I liked/inspired me is the "lore", and the warfare aspect to it. If I ever make a game inspired to that will be much more user friendly/accessible and simplified. I believe in simple stuff now :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I wouldn't expect anything else from you. I just can't really discuss the game much, because I put it away pretty quickly.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Heh, weirdly I did have a thread on this game long ago here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3060

But yes, I loved the Lore and the Scene choice. Sometimes it could go right, or wrong, but it didn't necessarily spell the end of your game.

I finally got it on Steam. Now, if they update it with the iOS stuff, I might get to see my contest winning scene in the game ^_^
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah indeed I remembered someone already talked about it in forums but forgot it was you! (well it was 2 years ago...). Cool :)
canyonaz
Young scout

Post by canyonaz »

I loved that game - I played it a lot around the time it first came out (way before it was on Steam or mobile devices). The thing I liked most about it was something that very few games have ever attempted. Presented with various choices, all of them can be correct based on the current circumstances in the game. Almost all games with choices either have one choice that is inherently better or each choice represents a certain playing style (the lawful character, the loner, etc.). King of Dragon Pass is much more flexible/replay-able.

I also liked the art a lot and loved how it would save your story at the end. I think I still have the very long text files containing my two best playthroughs. They were vastly different from each other because of the great design of the game but I felt a great sense of accomplishment with how they both ended.