Dragon Age inquisition early reviews

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Dragon Age inquisition early reviews

Post by jack1974 »

Haha nice. A thing they should add though is some fast-forward system like in Ren'Py games to skip already seen text/dialogues! :)
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

jack1974 wrote:Haha nice. A thing they should add though is some fast-forward system like in Ren'Py games to skip already seen text/dialogues! :)
if you spam space/escape you can conversation bits :) .
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

But how is the RPG part? I've heard good things about the story/characters/romance, but not much about the RPG. Seems that is less important than in previous titles, or am I wrong?
I'll play it myself too of course, but not now, too busy :lol:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I played it exclusively as an action RPG, which I don't care much for, but the tactical system is... slow, simplistic and boring. So, you unlock abilities and pound monsters with them in real time, but with the option to pause stuff and plan one move ahead if you feel like it. You can switch to your other party members though, which is nice if you want to change things up a bit, or need them to do something specific.

It's pretty much simplified almost to Mass Effect level.
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

The RPG stuff is great, very well made, I don't use the tactical view except for in major fights but its pretty good, a little buggy at times, but very good for boss type enemies, like that goddamn dragon.
One of these days Fereldan Frostback, one of these days, I will kill you...
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

And after you've killed it, prepare for the "oh snap!" moment when you see
Spoiler:
1/10
iWeasle
Woods ranger

Post by iWeasle »

Franka wrote:And after you've killed it, prepare for the "oh snap!" moment when you see
Spoiler:
1/10
meep!
rooke30
Young scout

Post by rooke30 »

jack1974 wrote:But how is the RPG part? I've heard good things about the story/characters/romance, but not much about the RPG. Seems that is less important than in previous titles, or am I wrong?
RPG systems tend to be fiddly. Often people would spend hours fiddling with stats and numbers instead of playing the game itself, and most AAA RPGs are trying to step away from that aspect of RPGs to appeal to a wider audience. How are the RPG aspects of the game? Depends on how you define RPG, really.

There's no manipulation of attributes/stats involved, there's only 8 usable skills at a time, combat relies just as much on player input than how your character is built, inventory system is simplified. That being said exploration is awesome (now that they've fixed the search radar,) and there's "choice and consequence" in the game, although consequences affect your environment (ala the Walking Dead) rather than the story (like a lot of VNs.) That's a style option though and more a reflection that the technology isn't at a place where games can include satisfying choice and consequence without sacrifices. Hardcore RPGs will be upset that character customisation is diminished and you can't choose how you complete quests, most new players won't care though.

Bioware still don't know weapons and armour but we'll forgive them for that, considering Bethesda's no better categorising axes as "blunt weapons"...

Overall traditional RPG systems are being diluted but that's continuing a trend rather than starting one.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah thanks, very detailed info, exactly what I wanted to know :) is interesting for me as game developer. As player I don't know yet... I mean at first thought I think I would be disappointed since I was raised with AD&D games with lots of stats, but on the other hand recently I have so few time to play, that I don't mind RPG (and "games" more in general) with less things to take care/remember, but still interesting mechanics (for example I love Heartstone and it has really FEW stats!).
Personally I plan to keep making a mix of the two... in some cases like SOTW more complex/traditional RPG gameplay, in others (like probably Loren 2) more "casual" gameplay :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

So finally I got the game, since this year I NEED to take it easier (having some health problem work/stress related).
I must say that now I understand completely how the players feels... I was in the early stages of the game with Cassandra and Leliana and I wanted to romance both!! but then discovered that I can't romance Leliana and I was like "AWWWWWWW" :lol: