New player - some questions

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
aeroprism
Young scout

New player - some questions

Post by aeroprism »

First things first: thank you for making such an amazing game! It's been a long, long while since I felt taken away by such simple yet effective storytelling. I'm at the beginning of chapter two and I can't wait to see where the story goes!!

Few simple questions: The HELP button on the party screen mentions the ability to use two sets of weapons and swap between them during battle. I've noticed that using the right element against a certain for makes a HUGE difference so I'd like to have my two options for weapons users. So, how do you go about that? I searched a long time and I can't find how to select/equip a second set of weapon.

What's the difference between attack and damage? Is "attack" a simple "to hit/accuracy" rating?

And even simpler: is there a game manual available somewhere? That would help tons!

I really, sincerely hope that you make a sequel or more games of the same genre. I really love your style. I also write music, you may check my Youtube channel and my personal site, I'd be thrilled to see my music end up in one of your projects, should you ever need it.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: New player - some questions

Post by Troyen »

I'll take the last question: check out Seasons of the Wolf, coming out for release this month. It's set in the same story world (but across the ocean) and plays fairly similar.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I never had the time to make a manual :oops:

Damage is calculated using the weapon dmg value, and then comparing the attacker's attack with defender's defend values. Two characters with same weapon will do more (or less) damage depending on their stats (and the target's relative stats).
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

Thank you, both of you!

I just checked Seasons of the Wolf out, it's a no brainer to me, it will be a purchase! I laughed when I saw "Althea" and immediately thought of the old Lunar games. It looks very fun, I'd say I loved most of what I saw. The character design didn't seduce me as much and as fast as Loren and her crew did. Still, If the storytelling is anything like Loren, I'll be a happy customer.

The damage formula makes sense. Thanks for that. I really, really love playing with game mechanics, i made quite a few myself for my tabletop systems and I tend to be a Math enthusiast. Actually, to be honest, after two hours playing Loren the Amazon princess, I reached the only possible conclusion: "Had I decided to follow my dream of making a game, so many years ago, that is the game I would have made,". I love story writing, I write music and I love game systems so a game like this stimulates just about every part of my brain. What a find!!

I found my answer, concerning weapon swapping: it is not even needed. You can access your equipment and re-equip whoever you like, however you like without losing a turn. Heck, when you target an enemy, the game predicts the damage output so you can try all compatible weapons before you find the best one. Not entirely realistic but oh so fun to use!

Edit: I just checked the promo video for Seasons of the Wolf. I'm sold. And hyped.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Cool, I recommend you play first Loren and then SOTW, since SOTW is more "RPG" so more difficult (to be fair is Loren that's much easier than an average RPG :))
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

If you ever plan to update that game again, one tiny little thing that would make the game so much more enjoyable would be a modification to the camp screen: a visual clue to indicate when a party member has something new to say. I'm the type of player who checks the camp at every possible step, character interaction has been by far this game's strongest point for me. By the end of chapter 2, it gets a bit annoying to have to circulate through 12-13 occurrences of "I have nothing new to say" every time I camp.

Also: I have heard people calling this game too easy. This is basically an interactive novel with a fun little combat system added to it. I think it's just fine.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes other people have suggested that change, but the way the game was coded I was unable to do that (I should look into it again).
Those calling it too easy are probably "normal" RPG players. For them there's SOTW :wink:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

If nothing else, please do that for Loren 2. With 24 camp followers (or however many there are), it'll be a pain to constantly check each one!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes for Loren 2 for sure!
aeroprism
Young scout

Post by aeroprism »

24 followers? Wow. I'm gonna love this game.

Just started Loren's chapter 3 now. Still hooked.