skill ideas (was 'one skill, multiple abilities?')

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: one skill, multiple abilities?

Post by jack1974 »

Yes those are interesting. Well there are many possibilities of course. Once Act2 is done I'll get feedback about the new chars in case some skill sucks and can be replaced by some more creative/fun/interesting ones :)
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

I didn't even thought of SOTW, it was honestly meant as idea for future games ;)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah yes of course. The engine Anima made for Loren was very underused in that game, for example I could also do skills dependent on weapons types (extend the normal/ranged shot) and even have rings/necklaces that can cast spells/trigger power. Unfortunately the hardest part of RPG is filling in all the content (and testing it) :mrgreen:
renke_
Elder Druid

Re: skill ideas (was 'one skill, multiple abilities?')

Post by renke_ »

another ignored skill area are utility spells.

e.g. a healing spell that is effective not until winning a battle (something like "For 3 turns the caster collects energy and is slowed by 15 %. After at least 3 turns and if the caster survives the battle all party members restore 25 % HP and SP").
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Agree there could be more utility. Disagree about downtime countering abilities. I think the current downtime system is bad design, but too big to change :)
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

without turn constraints* utility skills would be too easy (=boring) to use
*) or some other obstacles
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Not complaining about that, I think the whole downtime system sucks. It encourages all this weird behavior about delaying a victory as long as possible to get max regen before the next fight. I did it with Invigorating Prayer. I would do it with your spell as well. I will do it again when I have SP regen gear.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

somewhere we discussed battles with a restricted turn count and the result was along the line "impossible to do, as the speed/delay system has no party-wide turns" - but maybe the general idea (time-restricted fights) can be resurrected. think about a condition applied to the whole battle field with, say, a countdown of 10 turns. when the first actor reaches 0 multiple things could happen: end of combat, the actor is crippled (exhausted and loses much of his/her fighting stats), negative HP regen, ...

not a nice system, but would discourage the dancing you demonstrated in the hunter video.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I'm less opposed to maximum battle duration ideas now, but they would work a lot better under the Loren 2 global timer combat system. And I'd rather see a maximum timer at your disposal (to be spread across however many battles you like) before you have to sleep or advance the plot.

Anyway my ideas for mana management in general are way too huge to be considered for SotW. They're not revolutionary but there's no way Jack will rebalance the game around them. It's pretty much a significant base regen, largely or entirely static mana pools and a game designed around using abilities more or less every turn. After that we can look at downtime. But this is for a Loren 2 megapost I will get around to after I've gotten tired of testing act 2.

As far as resource management goes, SotW is about as modern as Diablo 2 where low level necromancers smack monsters with their wands.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

yayswords wrote:Anyway my ideas for mana management in general are way too huge to be considered for SotW.
this thread is not related to sotw :)
yayswords wrote:But this is for a Loren 2 megapost I will get around to after I've gotten tired of testing act 2.
haha, in Jacks's place I wouldn't know if this is a promise or a threat :D