pre order bonus

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
renke_
Elder Druid

Re: pre order bonus

Post by renke_ »

You could allow for beta-customers to set the name of the PC - absolutely not game-changing* but a simple way to personalize the game

*) if the text boxes are auto-resizing ;) [if not: restrict the character count]
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hm yes but... there are chances that Shea/Althea might appear in other games in future :mrgreen:
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote: there are chances that Shea/Althea might appear in other games in future :mrgreen:
And now there is an image in my head of a Shea/Althea amalgamation/Frankenstein scurrying about for a cure because of a druidic spell that went awry ;)
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

I want a (pin up?) photo of Aleema as pre-order bonus xD
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I don't think that will happen. Also she isn't even working on this game! (not that she would do it otherwise).
Instead here's a free pin up image of my cat Gilda for you:
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

jack1974 wrote:Hm yes but... there are chances that Shea/Althea might appear in other games in future :mrgreen:
so what? The pre-release bonus should be a gimmick for early customers with an IMHO important constraint: No disadvantage for your other customers (i.e. not game changing). Defining the own player name is fun, and will never be part of the lore - for me some random junk (I use the word loosely) at the beginning of a game feels lazy and not as a small token of your appreciation (probably the base of your idea to give early customers a little bit more).
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I like the idea, or you could actually give Shea a male name and I might care less. Shea does not sound male to my ears.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Letting the player customize the names would mean that I should browse through all the text replacing explicit references to it. Also, the big golden font that shows up in inventory and vendor is not software but hand made. And I'm sure I'm missing something else :) Is doable but is definitely not a small change, and can lead to extra bugs, so for now I'm not sure if I'll add that.
Shea in OUR WORLD is used more for females indeed (but also for males). Is a bit like the name Andrea, that in Italy is used 90% for males but I've also known a few females. While in France is used more for females. Depends on cultures I guess :)
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

yay that's my epic battle cat. Can I summon it ingame to crunch all enemies? :D
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

jack1974 wrote:Shea in OUR WORLD is used more for females indeed
Okay, so you want to let us know that in Aravorn, it's a more acceptable name for men, and impress upon us that it's normal. I think we should do it for a male name too then. How about we rename Althea to Jack? :))
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.