this is why I don't like 3d games

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Mariko
Young scout

Re: this is why I don't like 3d games

Post by Mariko »

Okay so how are these for sexy 3D?

Those are a just a handful of the characters I have in Aion. They have a pretty impressive shader for the skin tones in my opinion. Best one I've seen anyway.
"umm... They were like this when we found them."--- Dora
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Aion is good, but I actually like the way Tera online looks.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Aside from doll faces and plastic hair, they're not the worst 3D models out there.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Those have still the problem of plastic hair and all-identical-perfect-faces which is totally unrealistic. But here are some very good examples IMHO, is 3d but is a sort of "painted 3d" so it's more art than a simple 3d anatomic models:
BULLETSTORM has some of the nicest ones I've seen (also nicest art in general I've seen in a game)

THE WITCHER 2 is also good:

Resident Evil 5:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Age of Conan had very good looking 3D models for a MMORPG, sadly my old screenshots of that were in low resolutions and not so good looking.
candesco
Young scout

Post by candesco »

I rather have this one any time:

Best vampire all time. Well, actually Rayne is a half vampire. So no, i don't agree about the vampire comparison.
Also, Skyrim ain't the best comparison material. As for vampires in The Elder Scrolls i like those of Morrowind more. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines also has better ones.
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Kain from the Legacy of Kain series is the top Vampire in my books, however Rayne is a close second.
habe55
Young scout

Post by habe55 »

i kinda think the same - Loren is so much more sexy...
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

I generally find 2D ages better than 3D. However 3D has improved a lot over the years, and some games that have low-polygon models can made up for it with style and good animation.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

A lot depends on what you do and what you try... Loren with 3D-graphics would be plain silly. However, in other games 3D is the way to go.

3D can be really great, but it needs to be in some way realistic. You won't get away with a lot. The "comics" style (eastern or western), or a lot other attempts do just not work. Also, the eye expects some realistic movement from 3D which it does not from 2D.

However, it does not need a lot of poly counts. What it needs are good artists: There has never been a game like Morrowind where I felt cold and wet in a thunderstorm, or where the blown sand felt threatening. And this holds up, when I replayed Morrowind last year I felt like this again. I do not know why noone did reproduce this despite more than a decade of better HW and SW, but there you go.

With 2D you have a lot more leeway: The viewer expects a lot more symbolized depiction, and is prepared to fill the picture with imagination. So a good artist may add her/his style to the pics, or wild elements which make sense despite they do not - because the viewer adds his imagination. Which gives the resulting game flavor.