bard songs names

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

bard songs names

Post by jack1974 »

Today finished the Bard Class! I'm starting to see the light... :mrgreen:
I have put some song names. I like most of them but not sure about a few. If you have any suggestions (about the names) feel free to contribute:

Code: Select all

cName = "Rhythm of Speed"
        cDescription = "Increases all party members speed by 15% for 10 turns. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Chant Of Resurrection"
        cDescription = "Resurrects a knocked out character and restores 25% of total HPs. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Song Of Purity"
        cDescription = "All characters regenerate 5 SP each turn for 10 turns. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Ancient Warsong"
        cDescription = "Incites all party members, giving a 15% attack bonus for 10 turns. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Guardian Rhythms"
        cDescription = "Increases all party members defence by 15% for 10 turns. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Hymn of Restoration"
        cDescription = "Regenerate all party members HP by 15% of their totals for 3 turns. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Scarecrow Song"
        cDescription = "The Scarecrow Song causes Scared condition for 5 turns and does 25% Air damage each turn to all enemies. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Static Lullaby"
        cDescription = "Causes Slowed condition for 5 turns and does 25% Earth damage each turn to all enemies. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Oceans' Lament"
        cDescription = "Causes Weakened condition for 5 turns and does 25% Water damage each turn to all enemies. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Dragon's Lament"
        cDescription = "Causes Shattered condition for 5 turns and does 25% Fire damage each turn to all enemies. Only one song can be active at time."
        cName = "Chorus Of Ascension"
        cDescription = "Removes 1 turn of any negative condition from all allies each turn (paralyzed, weakened, scared, slowed, confused, burning, frozen, shattered, tired, poisoned)."
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Re: bard songs names

Post by DunKalar »

Scarecrow Song sounds weird. I'd suggest "Chant of Nightmares" or something like that ("Rythm of fear").

Chorus of Ascension seems unfittig for its effect. I'd suggest "Song of Defiance". You could also use the "Song of Purity" for it.

Guardian Rythms sounds weird, too :-) How about "Hymn of the Steadfast"? Is definately more epic I think :D

Ancient Warsong is too wide a term for it's effect imho. I would specialize it to its effects, like "Rythm of the fearless onslaught".

"Song of Purity" sounds more like a cleansing Skill, not a restoration one. Maybe you can adjust it like "Song of preserverance" or so.

rest is ok :)
Last edited by DunKalar on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

I think Song Of Purity is not the best title for a health restoring "spell" - you could name the song e.g. "Ode To Life" (c.f. Schiller's Ode To Joy :))

Argh! Misread it - the song restores SP and not HP. Sorry.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I would like every Of to be of but I've mentioned that a few times already :P

Okay a few things. Firstly let me give you some more words to play with so you don't have to use song and rhythm over and over: Ballad, anthem, serenade, tune, melody, tribute - like if there was a +magic song it could be called Tribute to Draco Firestarter, you could actually do some pretty epic song names if you were to involve famous characters (but not for EVERY song or it gets overdone). I remember reading Amukiki's Warsong somewhere, I thought that was a grand name, maybe it was for Loren 2? Anyway the names don't need to be of Loren characters or anyone we've been introduced to. Have a taste of... The Last Words of Sammyl Beretin: The tale of the Lich Hunter's resolve inspires the party, removing one turn of every status ailment.

Aaaanyway, moving on. I think speed and speed again (in the name and in the description) is a bit unimaginative, same with resurrection. Synonyms for speed for the title... celerity, alacrity, swiftness yada yada. For resurrection, rebirth, reincarnation, revivification, or just life.

But in truth I would like for more than just swapping in a few synonyms. This is music that has the power to affect you in the heat of battle, that's freaking epic and those songs need epic names.

So let me at last suggest new names. The alliterative suggestions (means you use words that begin with the same letter :P) aren't my favorites but they are easy to understand and pleasing to the eye.

Rhythm of Speed -> Teachings of the Arena Master (sadly this one does not imply what buff it gives as obviously as the others). Alliteration: Song of Swiftness, Anthem of Alacrity, Chant of Celerity.
Chant of Resurrection -> How Lirani Cheated Death. Alliteration: Breathgiving Ballad (admittedly a tricky one to alliterate)
Song of Purity -> Sauzer's Meditation (did his monastic order have a name? Could do something with that). Alliteration: Chant of Clarity.
Ancient Warsong -> Don't want to change this one. Unless to Amukiki's Warsong. Or maybe <civilization> War Drums.
Guardian Rhythms -> The Walls of Lothark. Alliteration: Anthem of Anticipation, Shieldwall Serenade.
Hymn of Restoration -> Myrth's Tribute to Life. Alliteration: Rhythm of Restoration.
Scarecrow Song -> Don't know what this song does HELLO! But at least it's alliterated.

On a balance note, it seems odd that the HP regen song is % but the SP regen is static.

And before anyone goes looking, Sammyl Beretin and Lirani were made up on the spot :P
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for the suggestions!
I initially named some songs from characters until I read the last scenes of the bard's romance (Jariel) where he says:
"The songs I know are ancient. They date back to a time from which no written documents remain today. For generations and generations, they were only taught by singing them to others."
"Then someone figured out a way to write down music, and only since then have they been recorded. But no one really knows who originally composed them, or why they have the effect they do."
so at least for this character I don't want to use existing heroes names :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

That's absolutely right. Make up some names of ancient heroes :) or villains.
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

I would not tie it to specific persons in general. 2-3 songs, ok, but not all of them.

Especially if their meaning and origin is lost to history, they would likely be described b the effect that they were used to. A healing song would be named after its healing effect and so on.

Thus, Amukiki, Sauzer (who could not clean himself in the game ;-) ), Loren etc. are not really fitting for it I think. Additionally, if you have to invent new heroes or villains, you have to integrate their background in the game somehow which means changing the script and delaying the game :-( So I strongly suggest to keep the names by the effects :-)
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

Though I was wrong with my comment above the titles could be a little bit more various - 3 songs, and 2 rhythms and laments. I mentioned ode above, other possabilities are aria, tune or melody.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I agree about not using contemporary characters. But you don't need to write a whole story about the made-up heroes. Look at my resolve-song. The fame of the hero is implied, the party members are inspired by his story and he gains importance through the characters' eyes. Furthermore all my suggestions (except the one for speed) very much imply their effect anyway, I had that in mind when I wrote them.

Hymn of Healing and the likes do not sound epic to me. In Icewind Dale 2 the bard songs have more creative names and they still (still as in "after having played the game for so long") succeed in giving me the chills to some extent. The Ballad of Three Heroes (minor combat buffs), The Tale of Curran Strongheart (fear immunity), Tymora's Melody (skill bonuses - Tymora is the goddess of luck), War Chant of Sith (defensive bonuses), some more I don't remember.

You can have the names imply the effect and still sound epic. Like a simple compromise is Bob's Healing Hymn, replace Bob with an epic hero's name.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I personally like the idea some of the songs would be named after the exploits of heroes from past generations.

For that matter, there is nothing wrong with using a metaphor or some other play on language if it strikes your fancy.

And confirming what yayswords said, there are a large number of song styles out there. If any particular word strikes your fancy, pick it.

Anyway, here are a few suggestion. I apologize if some of they seem a tad over the top.

Ancient Warsong -- I think this would be a great one if you felt creative to make a heroine (or hero, if so inclined) and have it as their 'final' song before they died in an epic battle.

Chant of Resurrection -- Symphony of the Restored Heart?

Scarecrow Song -- I always liked the thought of a scarecrows for enemies, but like the others it seems incongruous to have a song named after them. However, if you are going to do something with Scarecrows in game, then I'd keep it as it does give some personalized color. If one was to go over the top, there is the Shattered Heavens Requiem.

Static Lullaby -- I actually like the use of Lullaby (which hints at someone slowing down, falling asleep). I get that Static is meant to imply stillness, but some may think of Static Shock. For the life of me, I can't help but think of Mother Earth for something like Quiescent Earth's Lullaby.

Ocean's Lament -- When one thinks of song, and sea, the siren comes to mind. However, I do like the idea of rising waves wearing someone down. Maybe Crescendo of the Rising Tide?

Dragon's Lament -- A dragon is certainly a good choice, though maybe a different word than lament. I think Dirge would be a better term (unless one doesn't want to use alliteration).

Chorus of Ascension -- As a song which is meant to remove status conditions, if you wished to go more poetic, there is something like Hymn of the Tranquil Soul.

Possible pretentiousness aside, for the attack songs you might wish to use words like Requiem,Litany and Dirge in addition to Lament.