leveling skills (idea)

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Re: leveling skills (idea)

Post by Lonestar51 »

Some attacks depends on what weapons you've equipped:
- Strikethrough = you need a two handed weapon
- Wide Slash = you need two swords equipped
- Barrage = AOE attack, you need to have a bow equipped
Now this sounds very interesting indeed. Give every class at least some limited AOE options, and the tactical options multiply. (And I can safely get rid of the coward Riley, but that is just me ;-) ) I wonder what the optimum party setup will be? (Don't answer this, I want to find out during playtesting.)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Am I getting this right? Out of twelve classes, the warrior niche is filled by one called ranger? Surely there will be a more "fightery" class than that? I like to think of a ranger as a marksman who can still handle himself in melee combat and more importantly, can handle himself in the wilderness. Not a metal monstrosity who can take and deal a savage beating.

Anyway, hehe, from a practical perspective. Strikethrough should require a two-handed weapon that isn't a hammer, staff or axe. And Wide Slash sounds fine with a two-handed weapon, probably better even. The extra reach should allow for a greater arc than the combined one of two shorter weapons.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Twelfe classes? I thought there will be three classes... for eight party members.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Entirely possible. I have Loren 2 and SotW scrambled in my head :) I don't know which game is supposed to have what anymore.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

In SOTW there are 3 classes for the PC: Ranger, Hunter and Druid
Then there are 6 characters that you can recruit in your party, each one has his/her own class. So the total is actually 9 :)
About the ranger, it depends, on several RPGs the Ranger beside using the arrows can also dual wield or use two hand weapons (you remember Baldur's Gate Minsc? he was a ranger very good with a 2H weapon if I remember correctly).
The classes were also picked to fit the initial game setup, a small village in a permafrost area, living mostly by hunting.

At least, differently from Loren, you can play as magic user this time (the Druid) :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Okay, so the classes are just for the siblings, gotcha. I like the lore behind it too.

I am a HUGE fan of Baldur's Gate so yes I know Minsc. But you gotta remember that rangers and paladins can't get as good with weapons as fighters can (max 2 proficiency points vs. max 5), and in third edition fighters just get way more feat points than everyone else, while getting pretty much no class features. Rangers do get some free dual-wielding feats albeit only on the condition that they use at most light (maybe medium? I think light) armor, and they have class features like limited access to druid spells. In my mind, rangers give up a bit of the tankiness and melee-awesomeness of the fighter for the druid and marksman skills. I don't really wanna see a ranger in full plate mail with a shield :) even if that was possible to do with Minsc.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

My games don't follow all the general rules/lore of the other games though. I mean for some obvious things yes, like dwarves aspect (ahem except Dora :mrgreen:) but is not like I must follow the armor rules. I can limit the Ranger to medium armor but then I'm sure players could complain that you can't equip heavy armor on any PC (since of course Hunter / Druid won't equip that!).
So I'm thinking to allow the Ranger to use it, or worse case I can change the name of the class to something else (is not essential to the story/lore). But seems weird to use "Warrior" when you have Hunter / Druid. Or I could make up a new class name myself :lol: like "Protector" or whatever, as long as they can use heavy armors :)
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

Guardian - not related to any RPG-tropes I'm aware of. And established in PS as bearer of heavy weapons and armors :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Wow I kept reading hunter as thief. I would say ranger and hunter would be very similar yeah. I do like protector better. When I test the beta I will think of a better name and a lore approach to motivate the class. If the region has a history of trouble you could always say the village always made sure to have a warrior to protect it :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

What about "Warden"? I like the sound of it, even in some RPGs if I remember correctly was more a spellcaster/bard type (thinking about GW2 or Everquest series).
Otherwise Guardian could work too :)