Roommates Tips and Tricks

A dating / life sim for all tastes set in college http://www.winterwolves.com/roommates.htm
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Roommates Tips and Tricks

Post by Lonestar51 »

I guess this needs an extra thread ... so I will start it.

Romance Paths
jack has provided them already, so I will just link to the post:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3264

General

Focus on your love interest early on. You may choose to skip over events which give you relationship points with the other roommates, but never do this where your love interest is invloved. You have been warned.

For a "good" ending you need 150 in one stat and 100 for a second during spring break, which is more than easy to reach. However, at the end (week 21) you need 300+200 to get the boy/girl, and to get the best ending you need 600 in the sum of the two stats.Which stats you need depends on which roommate you choose to romance.

Academic Year
I needed to get used to the layout of the academic year. It has three parts, which are called "quarters". Logical, right?

Week 1-7: First quarter (Week 1 is very short)
Week 8: Winter break
Week 9-15: Second quarter
Week 16: Spring break
Week 17-21 Third quarter
Week 22-24? Finals (no longer part of the game, but part of the end text.)

As you can see, the last quarter is shorter than the others. This may bite you, especially if you have the stats for the spring break romance but not more: You will not double the stats in a few weeks. Better be an overachiever with the stats in the first two quarters.

Week scheduling

You have three acitivities each day, to be assigned to either attend class/study (for grade points), do jobs/recreational stuff for stats and sleeping to increase energy. You will need aout one sleeping period for two days, but this varies - a lot! Try to keep your energy at about 80 all the time, to get the best result for studiing or doing jobs. However, events will cancel your scheduled activity: If you have an event in the morning, the whole day will be skipped! An evening event would cause only skipping the evening activity. This is regardless if you play the event or not. So either learn the event schedule by heart, or keep a bit of buffer. Anyway, if you start the week with low energy, schedule a few extra naps. Also, you can skip events for extra energy, if you don't need the relationship points.

You need to increase some stats for the romance interest. Start in week 1 to increase just the stats you need for your love interest. As your money is limited, you need to do some jobs. With 3 jobs and 4 leisure activities you should be fine: Good increase of the stats, and not too much of a money drain. (As barcrawling etc. happens mostly in the evening, they get canceled by events more often than work.) You will actually have reached the necessary 600 at start of Q3, at which point you may switch to learning exclusivly.

You will also need to do learning: In my experience all class sessions and some learning sessions would give you enough grade points to reach 999 at the end of the year. One variant which I have not tried but which should work better is to cancel class, sleep in (you need a nap anyway), and schedule more learning sessions. They give you better stats, but this would lead to more skipped sessions. Maybe this will be necessary on hard difficulty.

Stats for each Roommate

During an event, the Stats button appears in the bottom left corner.

If you are scheduling your week, the Stats button is a little more in the middle, right below the column for Thursday.

However, for easy reference:
Anne requires Organized (the open book and pencil), and Rational (the math symbols)
Max requires Creative (the painter's palette), and Reflective (the peace Symbol)
Isabella requires Spontaneous (the exclamation mark), and Active (the upraised fist).
Dominic requires Rational (the math symbols), and Organized (the open book and pencil)
Rakesh requires Reflective (the peace symbol), and Creative (the painter's palette)
Sally requires Active (the upraised fist), and Spontaneous (the exclamation mark)
Last edited by Lonestar51 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: Roommates Tips and Tricks

Post by Miakoda »

Good points Lonestar 51.

A few other things to consider, if you wish to become 'friends' with your other Roommates (other than your love interest), try to reach a 20 with each one.

To expand further on something mentioned above, you may have to skip a few events if you want to max out some of the scores necessary, such as for grades, or 600 Stat points to get the best ending with your love interest. And to repeat what Lonestar51 said, be sure to be well rested. It seems there were some extra bonuses the more sleep you had. On the Easy setting, it is possible to participate in all the events, and get the good ending with your romance of choice.

Additionally, if you decide to get a love interest, find the job which is paramount for your love interest. For example, Isabella prizes Spontaneous most, so try to work mostly in the cafeteria. This is especially useful once you get a promotion. The extra money, and the slight stat boost in the job definitely are useful; if you switch jobs then you lose this bonus.

Of course, you still need to raise a secondary stat, but the extra-curricular activities seem to be best (though are a tad costly). Another reason to keep the job with the promotion...
Last edited by Miakoda on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Ah yes, good points, Miakoda.

Especially the point about the energy: It seems as if the stat increase depends on:
- a huge random factor
- energy level
- difficulty (obviously, but might be the least significant influence)
If an activity gives you a stat, you will seldom get exactly what the scheduler says, you may get more or less, depending on the above factors. Which leads to my second additional point:

You need to monitor your progress each week. Put additional activities into stats you need to raise, reduce activities where you are already beyond fine. Keep an eye on money, and always keep the energy up.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK some "behind the scenes" info: stat increase depends on Energy with a small mix of random. In practice:
- energy <25% = bad result
- energy >75% = good result
- otherwise, normal result
to the energy value is added a randomness of +/-5%. So for example you could have 26% but have bad luck and get -5% = 21% (bad). Or you could have 74% and have good luck and get +4% = 78% (good).
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:OK some "behind the scenes" info: stat increase depends on Energy with a small mix of random. In practice:
- energy <25% = bad result
- energy >75% = good result
- otherwise, normal result
to the energy value is added a randomness of +/-5%. So for example you could have 26% but have bad luck and get -5% = 21% (bad). Or you could have 74% and have good luck and get +4% = 78% (good).
And those bonuses due to having enough sleep certainly add up in the long haul.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

I edited the first post to include "keep energy higher than 80" and "events skip activity", as well as some other info I did not know when I originally wrote it. If you have any more ideas, I will be happy to add them.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Updated the link to a new thread I just made that has ony the walkthrough (the other one was all mixed with the beta posts).
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Thanks for making the thread "sticky". I feel honored. :-)

Added a paragraph detailing the stats you need, as there was a question in the romance path thread.
OtterFace
Young scout

Post by OtterFace »

How do your grades influence things?
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

OtterFace wrote:How do your grades influence things?
Some people require you to keep your grades up if you are romancing them. If you play as Max, then you need to keep your grades up for Anne. I believe if you play as Anne, you need to keep your grades up for Dominic.