Happy endings!

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Maelora
Woods ranger

Re: Happy endings!

Post by Maelora »

Oh, I saved Mordin :) Luckily, I hate krogan...

Oh, and I got the 'happily ever after' ending for Isabella. Really sweet, reminded me of 'Love and Order', in fact.

The girls finally ride off into the sunset together!

Thanks for this great game, Jack - I'm seriously impressed. Now, off to play as Max...!
j20019
Young scout

Post by j20019 »

Sylrissa wrote:
Maelora wrote:
Sylrissa wrote: I agree the extended ending DLC for Mass Effect with full readiness and the Destroy ending, did make the ending not ideal but tolerable, while the original launch one was just a utterly disgusting way to end all the build up to the trilogy, had over 100k people in a single poll up in arms over it, so it certainly wasn't a minority.
Totally agree. Three games and literally days of playing, and we deserved better. I still can't believe that they did that (though to be fair, everything up until that abomination of an ending is great, and I cried at Anderson's 'You did good, child...' And Shepard's word to Liara just before they are parted are genuinely powerful, Jen Hale's voice is so full of emotion there!)

But Winter Wolves are better than Bioware! :)
Certainly better then what's become of today's Bioware at any rate!.

And yeah the rest of ME3 apart from the ending was good, Mordin's scene still makes me tear up, he's the best scientist salarian there will ever be!
I've always felt that Bioware lost touch with what made past games good... like interacting with fans and not making 'art' (their excuse for why they did the original ending).

Seriously... can you imagine Loren with the production of Bioware?

...I need to sit down. Too much awesome to think about. :p
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Put simply, Bioware lost faith in what made their early games good. They abandoned Space Opera for Mass Effect after Drew Karpyshin left, completely changed Dragon Age in tone, visuals and story, and forced a horrible 'canon' on Knights of the Old Republic, invalidating player choices. Then they deliberately declared war on their own fanbase, and didn't like the results.

Pretty much a 101 of how a company shouldn't behave towards its fans.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I do think some of the changes with BioWare can also be attributed to when EA bought them out. I know it gave them greater financial security, but you can trade security for freedom in such cases...and I have a feeling this was a large part of Dragon Age 2.

But I also see the changes (like with EA) as a problem with the greater games industry. There is a lot of money to be made if they can hit the right demographic...but this also leads to a sameness of product.

And it doesn't help that many players do expect top graphics, etc...which sends budgets sky-high. Of course, a lot of companies are to blame for this as well. They tout this feature and that, and then complain how much it costs.
MrEnvy8
Official writer

Post by MrEnvy8 »

Maelora wrote:
jack1974 wrote: Well, you didn't even say WHO you played as!!! :lol: there are some happy, some sad and some bittersweet endings, depending on who you play as.
Anne/Isabella. Yeah, I know she's an amoral floozy who was always likely to get bored and dump you, but it's frustrating that you can't get a happy ending for a gay character, because your only choice for a lesbian character is an unreliable maneater...
You can get a happily ever-after ending with Isabella...

Edit:

Okay, I see you've found it now. Awesome. I thought there was a bug, I was going to be upset. I really didn't want to make the gay relationships bittersweet. But there is an element of naïveté to Anne that I wanted to acknowledge with that ending.

Glad you found it! :)

Edit2:

Okay, now that I'm done freaking out that the good ending is broken for Isabella, I've read the thread... Last thing I'll say Rakesh definitely has a happy ending and that Jack's mostly right, it depends on you helping him out with his parent situation. The walkthrough in the beta thread gives tips on it. Rakesh actually has the most endings because of the variable interactions :) (Though I reused some text).
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

MrEnvy8 wrote:
Maelora wrote:
jack1974 wrote: Well, you didn't even say WHO you played as!!! :lol: there are some happy, some sad and some bittersweet endings, depending on who you play as.
Anne/Isabella. Yeah, I know she's an amoral floozy who was always likely to get bored and dump you, but it's frustrating that you can't get a happy ending for a gay character, because your only choice for a lesbian character is an unreliable maneater...
You can get a happily ever-after ending with Isabella...

Edit:

Okay, I see you've found it now. Awesome. I thought there was a bug, I was going to be upset. I really didn't want to make the gay relationships bittersweet. But there is an element of naïveté to Anne that I wanted to acknowledge with that ending.

Glad you found it! :)

Edit2:

Okay, now that I'm done freaking out that the good ending is broken for Isabella, I've read the thread... Last thing I'll say Rakesh definitely has a happy ending and that Jack's mostly right, it depends on you helping him out with his parent situation. The walkthrough in the beta thread gives tips on it. Rakesh actually has the most endings because of the variable interactions :) (Though I reused some text).
But you cant have a happy ending with isabella if you play with max :/
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

ValHallen wrote: But you cant have a happy ending with isabella if you play with max :/
Actually the best ending (600 stats) is not too bad. Ends with:
Spoiler:
"Our breakup was amicable, hell we even had a few... rendezvous when she was in-between lovers. She still writes from Mexico from time to time. Actually, her last letter said she was coming up soon, and wanted to get together..."
sort of "open ending", but sounds promising if you ask me! 8)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

I do appreciate the fact some of these endings are along the lines of "A few years later..." Nothing wrong with the characters doing some growing up apart either.
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Got perfect endings with both Anne/Izzy and Max/Rakesh.

Very, very happy with both. Rakesh felt like a 'keeper', and while Izzy seemed like a floozy, it was nice she matured and came around in the end.

Very nice writing, actually... I'm very impressed, thank you!