Happy endings!

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Maelora
Woods ranger

Re: Happy endings!

Post by Maelora »

Apologies if I'm being over-sensitive. But it's an old trope in films and books from a few years ago... Basically, to only include gay characters if they die, or split up, or are otherwise unhappy at the credits. It's still with us, see 'Blue Is The Warmest Colour'. In fact, the movies where the gals ride off into the sunset together are pretty rare: 'DEBS', 'But I'm A Cheerleader', 'Imagine Me & You' being the best)

But I'll add that Jack *ISN'T* doing this at all - Winter Wolves are great in offering an LBGT option, and it's just unfortunate coincidence here that the gay girls get mostly sad endings!

(Incidentally, my first choice for Loren was her mom, and I loved that ending. I went back and did Loren's and it was so bittersweet I cried for hours. Still a very appropriate ending, just so sad... As is Draco's if Saren dies...)
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Okay, if this is true, I'm so happy I'm gonna buy Max's storyline too and see if Rakesh can make an honest man of him! :)
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Maelora wrote:Okay, if this is true, I'm so happy I'm gonna buy Max's storyline too and see if Rakesh can make an honest man of him! :)
Haha, sounds good!, you go get him!. I haven't heard anything about the Rakesh endings yet.
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Thanks, Sylrissa, agree with everything you said.

As regards Mass Effect, as much as I hated that ending, choosing 'Destroy' with full war readiness shows Liara (or Sam) refusing to put Shepard's name on the Normandy memorial, then cutting to her taking a breath in the ruins of London. Not ideal, but it strongly implies she is still alive. But yeah, I think we all wanted to see 'little blue babies'!
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Sylrissa wrote:
Maelora wrote:Okay, if this is true, I'm so happy I'm gonna buy Max's storyline too and see if Rakesh can make an honest man of him! :)
Haha, sounds good!, you go get him!. I haven't heard anything about the Rakesh endings yet.
Haha! Nor me, but he's a very interesting character! I really felt for him, unable to tell his parents he wanted to be an artist, or that he's bisexual. Having a non-stereotyped Indian character shows just how good the writing at WW is.

(and I kinda wish Max x Dominic was on the table as a romance... I think that would have been hilarious!)
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Maelora wrote:Thanks, Sylrissa, agree with everything you said.

As regards Mass Effect, as much as I hated that ending, choosing 'Destroy' with full war readiness shows Liara (or Sam) refusing to put Shepard's name on the Normandy memorial, then cutting to her taking a breath in the ruins of London. Not ideal, but it strongly implies she is still alive. But yeah, I think we all wanted to see 'little blue babies'!
Thank you so much!, I'm glad someone reads my long ranting replies :oops:

I agree the extended ending DLC for Mass Effect with full readiness and the Destroy ending, did make the ending not ideal but tolerable, while the original launch one was just a utterly disgusting way to end all the build up to the trilogy, had over 100k people in a single poll up in arms over it, so it certainly wasn't a minority.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No problems Maelora, I forgot too and I did know about the ending (my official excuse is that was too busy with all the bugs!).
Glad you enjoy the writing! Personally I'm very happy by MrEnvy8 work (lol that nickname) and I'm eager to see the next stuff he'll write (he should do Undead Lily now).
And yes I know how it goes in other games/movies/writing in general, how the gay/lesbian are portrayed. While I don't want to limit the freedom of writers, I'll make sure to suggest at least an alternative (even if hard) ending where things go well :)

As for Rakesh ending: as posted elsewhere, is different from others since you need to help him with his situation with parents. So in his case, you don't get a bonus for the stats sum, but by how you played the storyline and how much you helped him. The score goes from 0 (bad ending) to 12 (happy ending). I can confirm that if you max the help with parents storyline, the Max/Rakesh ending is happy :)
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Really appreciate, it Jack!

I know you try hard to give us choices and include lots of different types of characters. We all appreciate your efforts!

Good to know the boys get a happy ending! :)
Maelora
Woods ranger

Post by Maelora »

Sylrissa wrote: I agree the extended ending DLC for Mass Effect with full readiness and the Destroy ending, did make the ending not ideal but tolerable, while the original launch one was just a utterly disgusting way to end all the build up to the trilogy, had over 100k people in a single poll up in arms over it, so it certainly wasn't a minority.
Totally agree. Three games and literally days of playing, and we deserved better. I still can't believe that they did that (though to be fair, everything up until that abomination of an ending is great, and I cried at Anderson's 'You did good, child...' And Shepard's word to Liara just before they are parted are genuinely powerful, Jen Hale's voice is so full of emotion there!)

But Winter Wolves are better than Bioware! :)
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Maelora wrote:
Sylrissa wrote: I agree the extended ending DLC for Mass Effect with full readiness and the Destroy ending, did make the ending not ideal but tolerable, while the original launch one was just a utterly disgusting way to end all the build up to the trilogy, had over 100k people in a single poll up in arms over it, so it certainly wasn't a minority.
Totally agree. Three games and literally days of playing, and we deserved better. I still can't believe that they did that (though to be fair, everything up until that abomination of an ending is great, and I cried at Anderson's 'You did good, child...' And Shepard's word to Liara just before they are parted are genuinely powerful, Jen Hale's voice is so full of emotion there!)

But Winter Wolves are better than Bioware! :)
Certainly better then what's become of today's Bioware at any rate!.

And yeah the rest of ME3 apart from the ending was good, Mordin's scene still makes me tear up, he's the best scientist salarian there will ever be!