Mage Class Idea

Fantasy RPG game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm
Lady Tarrika
Young scout

Mage Class Idea

Post by Lady Tarrika »

I was curious, ive played as both warrior and thief in my different times through the game and was wondering why a mage class(spellcaster) wasnt added or if it was possible to add such a thing to the existing game?

I have a few ideas for spell names but given the "Healer" "Job" option when selecting the creation of your character i figured perhaps having a spellcaster could be fun, i tend to use certain characters in party and would quite enjoy having a spellcasting or "mage" option for Elenor / Saren. If i had a spellcaster option for elenor id probably use more of the other characters as a party switch up.
The Moonlight Glade supports Winter Wolves, a big thank you to the creative artists, songmakers, and story creators of Loren the Amazon Princess and Heileen Series.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: Mage Class Idea

Post by Miakoda »

I can't tell why it wasn't put in Loren 1, but they have confirmed that Loren 2 will allow Elenor/Saren to have a mage option
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Jack said part of it had to do with balance, since a mage would be really weak at beginning. Another problem was the generic mage abilities had no offensive abilities (all the mages must learn offensive spells from their specialization tree), and the hero skill tree was dedicated to healing and and support.

Anyways, the sequel will have a mage option and hopefully better skill tree to go along with it.
Lady Tarrika
Young scout

Post by Lady Tarrika »

Miakoda wrote:I can't tell why it wasn't put in Loren 1, but they have confirmed that Loren 2 will allow Elenor/Saren to have a mage option
Thats good to know, will be interesting and quite a challange.

Jaeger wrote:Jack said part of it had to do with balance, since a mage would be really weak at beginning. Another problem was the generic mage abilities had no offensive abilities (all the mages must learn offensive spells from their specialization tree), and the hero skill tree was dedicated to healing and and support.

Anyways, the sequel will have a mage option and hopefully better skill tree to go along with it.
I do enjoy a good challange so being a support "hero" wouldnt bother me in the slighest. Granted i do see your point about the general mage tree skills. Good to know the possibility exsists for the sequel, still would enjoy the prospect for the current Loren though. Perhaps an altering of the "hero" skills" if the mage class is chosen? which would include a "light" offensive attack of some sort? that would provide a sort of balance, making the "hero" a healer for the most part, but with at least one decent offensive attack.
The Moonlight Glade supports Winter Wolves, a big thank you to the creative artists, songmakers, and story creators of Loren the Amazon Princess and Heileen Series.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Jaeger wrote:Jack said part of it had to do with balance, since a mage would be really weak at beginning.
I wouldn't want to imagine doing Draco's quest on hard difficulty as a mage PC. The thing with the personal quests is that two warriors is fine, but zero warriors isn't.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Adding another class right now in the game is more complex than it seems, since as others said would require me/YOU (:mrgreen:) to retest the whole game! I decided not to use the Mage because either it was a sort of Battlemage, or in the early battles when you had only Loren or worse in the personal quests with two mages as yayswords suggests, could have been problematic.

I'm currently facing the same problem in SOTW, with Riley's personal quest (in that game they're all told like a sort of flashback). He is supposed to be running escaping from the Grand Mogul guards, but the only solution I found is to make him very overpowered, otherwise is basically impossible to balance it. I might even need to do some more tweaks :mrgreen:
Lady Tarrika
Young scout

Post by Lady Tarrika »

jack1974 wrote:Adding another class right now in the game is more complex than it seems, since as others said would require me/YOU (:mrgreen:) to retest the whole game! I decided not to use the Mage because either it was a sort of Battlemage, or in the early battles when you had only Loren or worse in the personal quests with two mages as yayswords suggests, could have been problematic.

I'm currently facing the same problem in SOTW, with Riley's personal quest (in that game they're all told like a sort of flashback). He is supposed to be running escaping from the Grand Mogul guards, but the only solution I found is to make him very overpowered, otherwise is basically impossible to balance it. I might even need to do some more tweaks :mrgreen:
=x Game testing used to be part of a volunteer job i once did a long time ago testing patch data for a larger multiplayer games. It can be a pain in the rear so i do understand how difficult it could be. but twas an idea i wanted to at least toss down. never know what can happen till you ask. Not that i wouldnt mind playing /testing the game all the way through again xD, I think my steam account has logged me at some 60 hours or so.

As far as two mages personal questing, perhaps you both are correct if its on HARD mode, but as an older game player /rpg follower i tend to grind up my characters before moving on :wink:. Draco seems fairly powerful spell wise by the time i hit the personal quest time. Been playing through it again for random fun and ideas for my fan stories, im only in chaper two at the moment and i have Loren Elenor and draco at lvl 23! *laughs and smirks*

Will be looking forward to mage class in Loren 2 since as you say could require quite abit of work to go back now and add such things to the first.
Last edited by Lady Tarrika on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Lady Tarrika wrote:As far as two mages persnal questing, perhaps you both are correct if its on HARD mode, but as an older game player /rpg follower i tend to grind up my characters before moving on :wink:. Draco seems fairly powerful spell wise by the time i hit the personal quest time. Been playing through it again for random fun and ideas for my fan stories, im only in chaper two at the moment and i have Loren Elenor and draco at lvl 23! *laughs and smirks*
I'd give you a high-five for this. I cut my teeth on some of the old SSI AD&D games, and those were a grindfest to get anywhere.

Going back to the Healer class, something to bear in mind is that you guys might also code in some offensive spells. At first this may seem at odds with a 'Healer' but it could work. One big area comes in status effects, and could be easily explained in game.

Sleep would help an injured person sleep, but could be used to put foes to sleep. Paralyze could prevent people from fidgeting...and naturally stop foes in their tracks.

Of course, there is the old idea that healing magics can also do damage to undead...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well I guess if one day have some free time might check and see what actually would be the work involved adding the Mage, but I am not promising anything for now :mgreen:
Lady Tarrika
Young scout

Post by Lady Tarrika »

Miakoda wrote:Going back to the Healer class, something to bear in mind is that you guys might also code in some offensive spells. At first this may seem at odds with a 'Healer' but it could work. One big area comes in status effects, and could be easily explained in game.

Sleep would help an injured person sleep, but could be used to put foes to sleep. Paralyze could prevent people from fidgeting...and naturally stop foes in their tracks.

Of course, there is the old idea that healing magics can also do damage to undead...
And i'd give you a hi five for this one, a "healer" or "mage" isnt always "weak" in some games ive played i tend to select the support or healing class, even warriors need healing from time to time. Take Ragnarok Online for example, the "priest" class is vital to the survival of a group especially in later lvls and areas, granted its a different kettle of fish, but even in the older rpgs you had a sort of "light mage". Considering the amount of undead adapting the healing spell to damage undead or demons sounds fun.