Party Based Rpgs Other than WW

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Re: Party Based Rpgs Other than WW

Post by deathknight1728 »

Wow, someone mentioned Icewind Dale, that game just sucks. I took the time to roll up a good party and it completely backfired in my face in Chapter 2. This game unlike Planescape and Baldurs Gate is improperly balanced. There's just litters of enemies in each lvl some of which are impossible to defeat. No wonder black isle went bankrupt, hehe.
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

My problem with it (don't remember if was the first or the second game) is that was stuck in one poiint and there was no way to go on. Probably they fixed it in a later patch but in practice wasn't able to finish it :(
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Icewind Dale is just hack 'n slash, boring game.
Jaeger
Druid

Post by Jaeger »

Planescape: Torment's strong points were copious options when it came to interacting with world, especially with other characters. Combat serviceable at best, but that was hardly the focus of the game anyways.
deathknight1728 wrote: My biggest gripe with rpgs is when they make a good game exceedingly long to the point where your playing 2 games-1 game that is awesome, and 1 that is just never gonna get finished.
I get the impression that much of today's video game audience like longer games, especially when it comes RPGs. I heard some people say a game should be 100 hours to justify the price of a game. Personally, I would rather play a game that is on short side with the possibility of replaying it rather than being burned out by an excessively long game.
candesco
Young scout

Post by candesco »

deathknight1728 wrote:Well, I find that my favorite genre in gaming is party based rpgs, both real time (BG, PS:Torment and Icewind Dale) and Turnbased-Loren and Planet Stronghold.

Theres got to be more out there but I find that Im very picky with regards to what I like.

My favorite games are party based where you create a character and then the party you can join who you want. I do like games where you make a party but there is more roleplaying in create/character approach.

I find real time are good but only bioware does them, heh. Im still in the process of finding more turnbased rpgs out there. Most of them I cant say that I like as Im a VERY VERY picky Gamer. Does the rest of the forum play any party based games and if so what do you play? Ill be more than glad to give something else a shot.

I play some partybased games yes. Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights 2, Icewind Dale, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura and also Drakensang: The Dark Eye and Drakensang: The River of Time.
The Drakensang games are made by now defunct german developer Radon Labs AG and use the rules of Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye). The Dark Eye is the german answer to D&D.
I guess the drakensang games are still sold somewhere. Have seen that it's also on Steam. There is now also an online game of it, but that one doesn't look like the both mentioned games.
The official site to it is now turned to the online thing, since bigpoint took over the IP, but here is the wikipedia page for the first game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakensang:_The_Dark_Eye
I happen also to play some of the newer partybased games, like Mass Effect, although the first one is the best and also the most rpg one.