"Magic" in a Steampunk game

Games with combat, inventory, crafting and more beside a story and dating/life sim gameplay
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: "Magic" in a Steampunk game

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, I know it's not easy to get a steampunk game right regarding the magic thing, but we're still in the beginning of the game design so any input is welcome :) I think there could be some magic in form of potions? I agree that "spells" would be weird, but potions, a bit like alchemy I think is fine and fits a Steampunk game. That's my opinion of course :) or some stuff like ninjitsu, smoke bomb, poison, and such. Of course it cannot be "completely realistic" because of the healing/buffing thing, but no "fireball" or "lightning strike" for sure :lol:.
We're going to include mechanical/robotic/weird devices, and have long range and melee weapon types.
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Arcanum of steamworks and magick obscura, has to be one of my favorite games in that genre, and a really good example of tech vs magic imo.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Why call them potions? Why not call it bandage, or medipack, or medicine? Get's rid of the magic connotation, and works more or less the same.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I meant potion as generic item thing :) but even in the far west for example they were selling those miraculous unguent or balsam to heal/become younger etc. I think such things are OK in this kind of game. Maybe even telekinesis and such things?
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

Have it injected through an big steam driven injection system and drugs / alchemical substances can work indeed (something like Dr. Jackyll/Mr. Hide can be interpreted as Steampunk, too). The effect should just not be too fantastic and it must wear off after some time. I would prefer small scale effects like better senses, greater stamina/strength or increased capability to remember information. It should not be a trojan horse for magic to enter the framework (my opinion).

Ninjutsu just do not fit ..... that Asian style stuff. Steampunk is too tightly connected to the UK in the beginning of the industrialization area. There is just no room for people doing ninjutsu stuff (imo)

I would just focus on bizarre clothing, strange devices that even the engineers do not fully understand (and who can randomly misfunction .... but hey it's not a feature, it's a bug)

Imo the real charm of steampunk is the total difference to common fantasy / sci-fi so that you can do complete different things. You can do totally crazy inventions. Fable III did a great job there (except for the magic stuff). Bowerstone and Reaver and his industry were awesome :-D. But especially those should not be mixed up with the other styles to create a "common mass". If you want magic you can play D&D until it flows out of your ears ;-).
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks some food for thoughts. Fen (the writer) is busy now but he said reads all the discussions in forums with interest and this one surely will be useful to him to craft the world/game mechanics :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I would not be opposed to some kind of "industrial" magic. Magic is just unexplained science. Steampunk ninjutsu does have a cool ring to it. Steam bombs and steam pressure-launched shurikens... that works for me. Just as long as it's not elves and goblins and wizards throwing fireballs in my steampunk game.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I was suggesting ninjitsu because there's an oriental female character... 8) though she is chinese and not japanese now that I think about it :(
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

kung-fu it is then :)
destiny_921
Young scout

Post by destiny_921 »

In that case, jack, I think you'll be interested in taking a look at this. The author did a great job in incorporating technology into a village setting. Pretty fascinating - I don't encounter this kind of writing much.

In my opinion, magic in a steampunk is more along the lines of alchemy (within reason) + inventions. That'd be intriguing to look at...and play. Perhaps an alchemist/inventor hybrid..
"Choose to be happy, not sad."