Saraphine

General discussions not necessarily related to our games
Aleema
Official writer

Re: Saraphine

Post by Aleema »

Hmm, probably liked Ashton the best, I think because I liked the dragons. So, to be honest, I barely remember Opera since you can't have both! :mrgreen: But I always say I'm going to make new playthrough to get her and Ernest.

I played The Last Hope (what is that, star ocean 5? 6?) and it was actually better than I thought it would be. It's cinematics are silly tedious sometimes (we really don't need it explained in a 45 minute scene why the main guy uses a sword instead of a gun, this is standard RPG, we'll understand), but the gameplay was good. Haven't finished it, since I don't have the time, but I hear from other people that it's the one star ocean they liked after 2. Not as good as 2, but yeah. You get nostalgic just listening to the GUI sounds. =P Too much fanservice for my tastes, though.

This thread took a wrong turn at Albuquerque, huh?
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

Aha I love dragons too :) But that was my point I think I liked the game more because you couldn't get all the characters on one playthrough because you have to make many choices and even the main C changed who you got as well! So Cool!!

The Last Hope was 4 I like the story very much but like I said above you got all the character and that was that. The endings were good too and a change from the others in the series. This time the "character" endings were finishing the story and their romances (no choice from you, as the game was set before 1) I'm not sure if I liked this idea or not. Like for one, I saw all the endings in one playthrough and have never played in again, where as 2 I played over and over getting the different 80+ ending each time.

Yes sorry about that! My point I was making over all though is try to limit players, like you can't get B who is a better fighter if you get A but with A you get C and so on. Just so you HAVE to play again and again to get the different characters.

Sorry I will stop now or I never will lol
MarSel
Druid

Post by MarSel »

I just finished Loren completely and thought about Saraphine. Had any new thoughts? Or Time to have any new thoughts for that matter?
lexius87
Young scout

Post by lexius87 »

First of all, thanks for the link MarSel.
I browse lemma regularly but never saw this game..glad i tend to wander around here too!

Now then,

I went into this game not knowing what to expect (since i couldn't see any pics on the first page in the lemma thread) and i have to say....it blew me away.
I really liked the music and sound effect. they fit and enhance the mood of the demo and made what i was reading that much more engaging to read.
Voiceacting (in combat) fit well even though the heavy..grunt?...that went with Ëre's attack took me by surprise..nothing that didn't grow on me though.

The characters looked nice and, again, fit the mood of the game. It's also a nice change of pace from all the anime type stuff i see out there!
the CG did look a bit different though( different artist?) not in a bad way since, in my opinion, CG are there to enhance a certain scene and thus are allowed to stand out a bit.
The backgrounds....are not something i'm really enthusiastic about. Sure you did a pretty good job of making them fit but the 3d thing does make it feel "off" compared to the all the drawn stuff.
I did really like all the moving images and details though! especially during the travel and the rain really made me smile.

I feel i can't say too much about the characters yet since i think a lot hasn't been revealed about them yet. i would like to say that Ëre is one of the more interesting MC i've seen so far and while i did not really warmed up yet to Basil and Lander i did start to and the end of the demo.

All in all i think this game, while perhaps not as immidiately attracting as loren for instance, certainly has the potential to become something great and it would be a shame to let it rest as it is.
Still, i'd like to thank you for giving me a wonderfull 2 hours playing this demo.

Also, Jack why haven't you forced Aleema to finish this yet?! (j/k)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well it's her game, not mine :) when she <coughs> finishes writing the current RPGs in production (Planet Stronghold 2 and Loren 2) I would have no problems to help her finish this though.
abnaxus
Woods ranger

Post by abnaxus »

I downloaded the demo, it looks like an interesting game.

There's more interest in visual novels the past years, with both the amount of fan-translated Japanese VNs ànd indie developed western VNs gone up considerably.