Windows8

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
jack1974
Pack leader

Windows8

Post by jack1974 »

As you might have noticed if you follow me on twitter, like many other indie devs, I'm slightly worried about Windows 8.
Nothing is really clear yet - it might be just like Mac OS Mountain Lion, so that all I have to do is remember to run a small python script to "sign the app", otherwise gatekeeper prevents users from opening it at all, unless they change the preferences (but how many "average joe" customers knows how to do that?).

Anyway, while I plan to keep using Ren'Py to make the next batch of games, I am starting to contact people to port the existing games and future games to Monkeycoder so they should run on lots more platform (iOS, HTML5, etc). The problem is that won't be possible to port complex games like the RPGs, so for those the only hope is that Microsoft/Apple decides to allow us "small indie devs" the honor to keep selling games on their platforms. Otherwise, it might mean that I'll have to stop making the RPGs, or slow down the production of those kind of games a lot ... :(

Anyway, for now nothing is sure yet, so maybe it won't be so bad as it seems (I hope MS can see how unhappy people are about it and will decide to make some steps back). The only thing I can say now is that I don't recommend people to update from Windows 7 if you want to be sure to be able to play my games and those of many other indie who aren't so lucky to get on Steam.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Windows8

Post by jack1974 »

So today installed Win8 perview on Virtualbox and is not so bad as it seems. I'll just have to codesign the game installers (much like I do already on Mac) and it should run without problems 8)