Kickstarter

Anything not related to one of my specific games, like general polls or promo/sale announcements. For general talk about games, go to the Golden Lion subforum
Luksis
Young scout

Kickstarter

Post by Luksis »

atm i'm looking through the vast see of projects on kickstarter.com and while doing this an idea popped up in my head.
Jack, have you ever thought about trying a project on kickstarter? I believe many of us fans would contribute and pledge to you project or projects.
Also it could be interesting to see the reactions of the kickstarter community to a mold of VN and RPG or an Otome Game or whatever you come up with^^
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Kickstarter

Post by jack1974 »

Kickstarter works only for people in US, so I can't use it :) I could use indiegogo but is much less popular. Anyway I'm not a big fan of that way to get funding, but I don't exclude that I could try it in future (using some indie developer friend from US to form a partnership).
Luksis
Young scout

Post by Luksis »

oh, didn't know it works only in US^^
Why don't you like this kind of funding? (just curious)
And i didn't even know indiegogo :D
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Because I prefer to be paid after I finish a project. Lots of those Kickstarter projects are scams (as you can read around) and beside that, in general, I don't like to ask money showing just a few mockup screenshots or crappy concept art. If I ever decide to do something, I'll have a fully playable concept demo of the game, since I would feel uncomfortable to ask for money with anything less.
Also, if I ask for funding would be a small amount compared to those "get $150,000 to make a zombie game" project that pops up every second on Kickstarter :lol:
Luksis
Young scout

Post by Luksis »

Yeah those Zombie Games xD im astonished at how much money some of those can get^^
And it was just an Idea for a little "funding" to polish a game maybe already half or almost developed. I dont know why people just giving ideas can receive that much money... well just do your thing and make good games :D
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

I didn't realize kickstarter was U.S only either, since I've seen several non US projects on there, seen a UK one, a Sweden one, even an Aussie one from a dev here in Brisbane.

Must be people with US partners or something that started it.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The problem is that they use Amazon payment to deliver the funds and so far you can't have an account outside US. I know they are supposed to change it but not sure when. Anyway right now, that's not the main reason why I'm not using it. There's also to consider that I have so many games in progress that I would be crazy to do a Kickstarter now :lol: I need first to finish all of them and then could think about it!
Luksis
Young scout

Post by Luksis »

As long as we fans get satisfying games i dont mind at all^^
abnaxus
Woods ranger

Post by abnaxus »

So I saw this today: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/698 ... ient-india

It ticks me off when I see how many crappy projects (who mostly don't even need to be on Kickstarter to begin with) get funded on Kickstarter while other honest indie developers whose games are so much better have to trudge along on their own.

I also greatly dislike the "us vs them" tactics some/a lot of people are using in their pitch videos.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

A bit of confession first: I have backed games on kickstarter. Even more than I bought from WW.

However, I did not and would not back unrest. This kind of game gets made quite a lot by other teams, on their own dime. I try to pick projects which not only look like a fun game, but also like a kind of game which is not made very often today - or not at all. Ideally something pushing some boundaries. In short: something which cannot be had any other way.