Progress Report

A supernatural-themed dating sim https://www.winterwolves.com/lovebites.htm
Franka
Elder Druid

Re: Progress Report

Post by Franka »

Why use a scheduler at all? If I destroy the romance by skipping a week, the scheduler just makes the game worse by inviting me to make a mistake.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I thought about not having it at all to be honest. I guess I could have the jobs fixed maybe and use it only to show the passage of time/worsening of the player's situation...
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I don't know what the most elegant way to choose your romance would be, but from what I read, you make it sound like a scheduler is total overkill.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well we wanted to have some ending variants if player manages to reach XXX money at end of the story, plus there's the stress level variable which could unlock some small bonus scenes and gameover if it gets too high. So the scheduler could make some sense under this regard.
I could see two solution to keep the scheduler:
1) put a warning message if player starts a week and could stop a romance or a very good tutorial. In general once you choose the morning jobs you'll rarely modify them
2) require only 1 day/week for each character or maybe even better just have the morning schedule fixed, allowing player to decide only the activities in the afternoon (and the possible weekend dates).
I need to think more about this :)
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

Callista wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 am Nice! I'm totally looking forward to this. Miakoda is a great writer. :D
Agreed, I really liked the PSCD story. Plus this game setting seems even more interesting !
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OK, I changed it again, this time I think it's fine. Quick explanation:
- the jobs are fixed
- if you end the romance during the story like happens in my other games, that character's relative job will be changed to the "generic one" (cafeteria clerk)
- the thing you can change is the work rate for each job. Work harder=more energy spent, but more money. If you have low energy at end of each day the Stress value will increase

I think it's much simple, but still allows a small freedom to enable different endings based on money, and some "cool scenes" if your stress level is too high, including an achievement related ending :wink:

Thanks for the feedback, I realize now that my previous idea was a bit dumb :?
Callista
Young scout

Post by Callista »

That set up is good. It's good to have feedback early on in case changes need to be made. :)
Looking for a high quality editor? Then check out my page here: https://callista.itch.io/
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

jack1974 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 amThanks for the feedback, I realize now that my previous idea was a bit dumb :?
Nah, you were just tweaking your usual scheduler to cut corners during development. :P Having just played through Roommates 6 times, I was getting rather sick of micro managing weekly schedulers, and it sounded like this game didn't need to go into so much detail, so I'm glad to see the scheduler being simplified.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes for sure, not having stat-raising, it was probably overkill. But the fun thing is that implementing this new solution still took me only half-morning (with the other half spent shoveling snow... grr!).
Anyways, it seems to work already, and Miakoda just sent me one romance ending. Maybe we'll manage to do the pre-order beta with Sabrina/Viktor routes at end of month :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Sorry for the lack of information, but for the curious, here is what needs to be finished:
1. 30 romance dialogues (Nadia's paths, Tyrone/Kaitlyn path, and romance CG scenes)
2. Single player route scenes (Maybe 6-7 dialogues)
3. Flavor text and epilogues
4. Couple scenes which take place in the middle of the game (Fourth of July comes to mind).

So if I was to estimate, I would say it is about 75-80% done from a writing standpoint.