Cursed Lands version 1.0.13 (full content)

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Post Reply
Troyen
Elder Druid
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by Troyen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:45 am

Is there supposed to be some benefit to successfully getting the cease-fire talent off?

First of all, it's pretty tough to use it since 95% of the fights have a success rate of 0% until the last enemy is almost dead (or sometimes even then). I did manage one time to negotiate a treaty after slaughtering most of an army, but it looks like you get no experience (not even for the monsters you killed) or loot from it. So what's the benefit then? If you can only use it when you've nearly won the battle, but it deprives you of all rewards, it seems like a trap talent.

This is from 1.0.3. Hard in case that matters.

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14391
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by jack1974 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:52 am

You mean "Compromise"?
Well the success chance is not related to a specific talent, it's obtained comparing your level, target level, enemy morale, enemy personality type (in this case the description says: Strong vs Supportive, weak vs Dominant enemies.). So you might had bad luck in that case.

But yes it's probably one of the less effective talents, could work if you're losing a battle (with game over) and you want to gamble and try to come out alive of it. Sadly I don't think I can change it now (it's referenced in many places of the story outside combat). I could tweak so gives the full encounter XP maybe (loot would be too complex).

Troyen
Elder Druid
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by Troyen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:09 am

Yeah, I think you should at least get experience for "beating" the encounter, since you essentially need to win or nearly win to pull it off. I've been fighting a lot of Supportive enemies and even then it's 0% for most of the battle, even with morale at half and under.

Troyen
Elder Druid
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by Troyen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:20 am

I think this is the first time I've bought from itch.io, so I'm not sure if I understand the procedure right. I purchased the game, it took me to a purchase page with a link to cursed-lands-full.zip, but when I downloaded it, apparently it doesn't recognize my registration? (Also, the folder says 1.0.4 but the menu says 1.0.3.) There doesn't seem to be any mechanism to enter a download code here either.

Troyen
Elder Druid
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by Troyen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 am

Well, after redownloading the entire thing three times and some weird trickery to get around a new error -10810, it's showing both registered and 1.0.4 at the bottom of the menu.

However I can't seem to continue my demo save. The auto-save screen on the "You have reached the end of the demo. You can save now if you want to resume later" page just takes me to the "buy now/maybe later" end of free trial screen. Is there a way to check registration there to continue the story, or auto-save right before that page for people going from the demo to the full version?

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14391
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by jack1974 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Yes I thought I added an auto-save at end of the demo, but maybe I forgot. Sometimes it works though (you can rollback) other times doesn't, I'm not sure why. But the safest way is to do an auto-save. In the auto folder though there should be old saves.
However, the right version is 1.0.4, so if the main menu says 1.0.3 you somehow downloaded an old version or are still playing the demo.
I think I might not have demos anymore in future since it's a total mess :( no indie does it anymore...

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14391
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by jack1974 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Troyen wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:09 am
Yeah, I think you should at least get experience for "beating" the encounter, since you essentially need to win or nearly win to pull it off. I've been fighting a lot of Supportive enemies and even then it's 0% for most of the battle, even with morale at half and under.
Ahh wait lol. Regarding this, if the battles were labeled as "battle to death", this talent (obviously) doesn't work. So that's why the percentage was always 0% it means the skill is disabled (some talents doesn't work if the enemies don't surrender). The battles to death are usually plot battles for which allowing that kind of talent would make them pointless. That's why you had that value, depends also on that.

Troyen
Elder Druid
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by Troyen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 pm

jack1974 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:36 pm
Yes I thought I added an auto-save at end of the demo, but maybe I forgot. Sometimes it works though (you can rollback) other times doesn't, I'm not sure why. But the safest way is to do an auto-save. In the auto folder though there should be old saves.
There is an auto-save, but it's on the "save now" screen, and loading it just goes on to the "buy the game" screen even on the full version (which I got working correctly). I think it should auto-save one page before - right before loading the end of the demo. Can't rollback at that point either.

And the demo got me to buy the game.

Troyen
Elder Druid
Posts: 926
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 am

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by Troyen » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 pm

jack1974 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm
Troyen wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:09 am
Yeah, I think you should at least get experience for "beating" the encounter, since you essentially need to win or nearly win to pull it off. I've been fighting a lot of Supportive enemies and even then it's 0% for most of the battle, even with morale at half and under.
Ahh wait lol. Regarding this, if the battles were labeled as "battle to death", this talent (obviously) doesn't work. So that's why the percentage was always 0% it means the skill is disabled (some talents doesn't work if the enemies don't surrender). The battles to death are usually plot battles for which allowing that kind of talent would make them pointless. That's why you had that value, depends also on that.
Is there something you can do on the battle screen to indicate it's disabled for the battle to distinguish it from "they aren't low enough on morale"? Maybe an X over the skill icon? Or altered description text like "Your enemies refuse to surrender in a battle to the death!"?

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14391
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Cursed Lands version 1.0.4 (full content)

Post by jack1974 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Troyen wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 pm
I think it should auto-save one page before - right before loading the end of the demo. Can't rollback at that point either.
Yes in the 1.0.5 now I save in that point, though I think I left also the other one, so I have now removed it and on next update it should work properly.
Troyen wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 pm
Is there something you can do on the battle screen to indicate it's disabled for the battle to distinguish it from "they aren't low enough on morale"? Maybe an X over the skill icon? Or altered description text like "Your enemies refuse to surrender in a battle to the death!"?
In the battle log there's that text "the enemies won't surrender". I tried before with disabling the skill but then people thought was a bug :mrgreen: altering a skill description on the fly is another hack which I'd rather avoid, but maybe I could make the skill appear, but not be clickable if the success chance is 0%. I'll think about it more but to be honest I didn't get much complaint about this (I suspect most players just enjoy the battles without using the talents or pick other talents maybe).

Post Reply