story/characters stuff (SPOILERS!)

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Player00013
Young scout

The character's strength development

Post by Player00013 »

I want to say that I like how slowly the character's power grows, I mean in other games the protagonist is a no one and then becomes a god over night, but it feels like characters actually progress over time in this game, just like in Queen of Thieves
Spoiler:
when they had goals which become harder and harder and that make them stronger over a longer period of time not just a week or two, and then their final boss isn't really a god or something like that but still very powerful, which is shown when they're defeated by their mother, and that shows how they developed and even if they didn't reach their mother's level of power they still became much greater
and in this game it feels like the character becomes from a simple human/elf/half-elf/dwarf not really the savior of the whole realm but a hero and someone deeply respected by Karen which is really an honour in this game's world.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: story/characters stuff (SPOILERS!)

Post by jack1974 »

Lol I wanted to move this post in the new thread I made but I don't know how. Anyway I made a new thread to discuss game story/characters and such :)
Lathtal
Young scout

Post by Lathtal »

Just hit the post-credit scene... damn! That's a brilliant little detail - of all the potential links to Loren (the game), I can't say I expected that.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Hehe thanks. I had that idea
Spoiler:
when I considered N'Mar / Mother Morte as adorator of the cult of the dead, so Czhulu seemed appropriate. There was this little "plot hole" left unexplained in Loren (I remember some posts when that game was in development, players asking why the lizardmen captured Karen, and how comes that she fell in love with a man) and I had this enlightening moment to fix it this way. Now everything in Loren should make more sense :mrgreen:
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Spoiler:
I must admit that I feel it takes something away from Loren's story, that Karen was fooled into falling in love with a man. I liked that Karen, the queen herself, kind of spurned her society's rules to be with the one she loved, but then we now find out it was only because she was magically coerced to do so. Pfeh, that's cheap.
But it's not something that bothers me a lot, I just don't think it was a good addition.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I knew that ending would be controversial (some like it, others not), however
Spoiler:
even if was by magic, she still was in love. What you said still stands. It's not like Karen knew it. So, for her, was true love, and she still challenged the amazons rules :)
Besides even if you don't consider that explanation valid, we have already Loren who can fall in love for a man (Saren)... unless we want all amazons suddenly to become all bisex, I think that ending was a good idea (I'm not saying it only because I wrote it :lol:)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

I can certainly live with it, but...
Spoiler:
I'm not very fond of "Magic/hypnotism/brain control made me do it" plots in the first place. It takes away choice and human agency, and is a cheap way of getting from A to B (and I think it's really bad writing :P).

And hey, if both Karen and Loren fell for men, it could be something that runs in the family. Or maybe it's the times, and a change is happening with the amazons? Well, only until we find out in your next game that a hidden villain used magic to turn Loren het. :lol:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well, originally
Spoiler:
I wrote it as Ryzom made Karen fall in love with him naturally, without magic. But then I thought would have been seen as weird, since Karen is amazon and is lesbian and I think could have hurt the gay community feeling? Not sure if is better or worse with magic.
And anyway it's just one person - it's not like in modern tv series when everything is solved through "hackers!" the new magic. Every tv show now has some hacker guy who can solve all situations instantly. Now that's what I call really bad writing, but that's done in top tv series, so what I know? :lol:
mastro
Young scout

Post by mastro »

Like Lathal I think the ending was brilliant.
Spoiler:
now I no more wonder wtf lizardmen were doing with Karen, or why she was in love with a man, and then I couldn't romance her with Saren (double WTF!). Totally satisfying 100%
Lathtal
Young scout

Post by Lathtal »

Considering
Spoiler:
the Lizardmen apparently killed Ryzom pre-game, I figured Karen regained her mind on and off, thus they murdered him for failing. So I didn't dwell on the implications.