Art thread

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
Post Reply
User avatar
DarkWolf
Druid
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: Art thread

Post by DarkWolf » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:34 pm

I was a bit worried with how will customized characters look as I haven't seen many (more like none) games in witch 2d character customization turned up very good. Now my worries are gone.

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14464
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Art thread

Post by jack1974 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:39 pm

Haha, indeed! :)

User avatar
mastro
Young scout
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Art thread

Post by mastro » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Jack, what you're doing is unique in indies. I may be wrong but, I don't see many Others who not only offer boy or girl protagonist, but even so many romances. The "more bisex romance" is a good choice. Not realistic? what matters? better if game was "realistic" so then you get complaint like with SOTW because of few romances? No, you're on the right way.

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14464
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Art thread

Post by jack1974 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks, and yes I think it's the only way. I'd rather someone think "it's not realistic" than someone like a recent Steam review who played SOTW for 48h and then basically put a negative rating just because didn't like to romance Jariel. I bet if I made all the SOTW characters bisex, I would have got a much higher rating :)

Anyway back on Cursed Lands I'll start coding the "main hub" screen today, it's not hard on itself but must plan carefully since basically all game events happens in it:
Image

User avatar
Exizel
Woods ranger
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Art thread

Post by Exizel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:06 am

I don't think everyone should be bi just because of SOTW review, It should depend on how many romance option they are in the game(SOTW should but game with a lot of romance option shouldn't) and honestly SOTW's romances were just bad(after Loren) , no choice, romance only in a few scene in the main game and the hardest boss was lock behind one romance, even if everyone was bisex they would still be complain

People are complaining because they aren't satisfied but after Loren even if everyone in SOTW were bi, I think people would still complaine about it, just because it is so much inferior to Loren's(be it in number of romance or scene)

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14464
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Art thread

Post by jack1974 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:18 am

That was an example I made because I think explained it well. And it wasn't just one review: in a lot of them and comments in my forums I read stuff like "if I could have romanced Krimm as Althea" or "why Chalassa was yuri only" etc etc.
But of course it's not because ONE game, but because I think overall is a good compromise. In Cursed Lands for example, I'm thinking if to have also Nuala and Vaeril being bisex. I'm not sure yet if I'll do that, but I think would only please players, without much (any) negative feedback. Of course I wouldn't do stuff like making an Amazon bisex and so on :)

User avatar
DarkWolf
Druid
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: Art thread

Post by DarkWolf » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:24 pm

Exizel wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:06 am
I don't think everyone should be bi just because of SOTW review, It should depend on how many romance option they are in the game(SOTW should but game with a lot of romance option shouldn't) and honestly SOTW's romances were just bad(after Loren) , no choice, romance only in a few scene in the main game and the hardest boss was lock behind one romance, even if everyone was bisex they would still be complain

People are complaining because they aren't satisfied but after Loren even if everyone in SOTW were bi, I think people would still complaine about it, just because it is so much inferior to Loren's(be it in number of romance or scene)
I would actually say that romance in SOTW was way superior then in Loren. Nobody is complaining on quality of romance in SOTW, The reason people complain is simply because character that they like isn't available for a character they played with. The less romance options, more likely it is for this to happen. On one hand people want the character they like the most to be romancable by gender they play as, on the other they like that some characters are specifically gay/strait and not all are bi.

User avatar
BobTheMob
Druid
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Re: Art thread

Post by BobTheMob » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:09 pm

jack1974 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:18 am
Of course I wouldn't do stuff like making an Amazon bisex and so on :)
Loren was. :) Just felt like putting that out there. :)
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14464
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Art thread

Post by jack1974 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:34 am

DarkWolf wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:24 pm
I would actually say that romance in SOTW was way superior then in Loren. Nobody is complaining on quality of romance in SOTW, The reason people complain is simply because character that they like isn't available for a character they played with. The less romance options, more likely it is for this to happen. On one hand people want the character they like the most to be romancable by gender they play as, on the other they like that some characters are specifically gay/strait and not all are bi.
Haha I'm not saying anything since I think depends on people's tastes. Really I have some people saying "Clearly SOTW is superior in every way to Loren" while others "Loren is clearly better than SOTW" :lol:
What I got reading a lot of comments, but of course could be just my impression, it's what you said - with more variety of romances SOTW would have been on par with Loren (while gameplay for some is superior, others prefer the simpler RPG system of Loren).
It's hard to make everyone happy :?
BobTheMob wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:09 pm
jack1974 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:18 am
Of course I wouldn't do stuff like making an Amazon bisex and so on :)
Loren was. :) Just felt like putting that out there. :)
HOW DARE YOU SAY THIS!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Haha yes I know, but she was a sort of exception, the forbidden fruit! In my future games it will be very uncommon for an Amazon to love men :)

User avatar
jack1974
Pack leader
Posts: 14464
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Art thread

Post by jack1974 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:27 am

Image
scripting the Amazon's path, which includes the new amazon character of Leena. She makes quite an entrance!
Well, after all, she is Loren's trainer... oops I'm speaking too much already :o Haha I missed those amazons in my games :)

Post Reply