development thread

Classic VN/RPG, all romance combos, social talent system https://www.winterwolves.com/cursedlands.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: development thread

Post by jack1974 »

and here I added a monster to Larik's personal quest since it didn't have any encounter and was bad (I think is good for the player to have the chance to test a character in battle to see how he/she fights).
I also fixed a bug where you could use some skills for enemies without personality. While I know it's a game and some mechanics are tied to the overall balance, trying to get an item out of that monster was a bit too much unrealistic! :lol:
BobTheMob
Druid

Post by BobTheMob »

Regenerate self?

What does that mean?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

That one of his skills is to regenerate HP (maybe I can just use Regenerate HP then?). I wrote self because it can't use the skill on other allies.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Started coding Kusho's personal quest today, even if probably will take me a couple more days :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

finished one ending of Kusho's personal quest. Some characters get different rewards based on the outcome of their personal quests. This item is quite cool since adds the "Holy Arrows" skill which deal good damage to undead. Sounds useful... :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

adding several "party banter" between the various missions (I really like those as player). Here Sylrissa just said that she's looking forward to "kill some dwarves". If you happen to have any in the group, a fun scene happens :mrgreen:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I've spent the whole afternoon testing, I'm honestly not very happy with the defense/armor system. The problem is that for some high level enemies it's cool that they have high defense, so you can use certain skill to bring it down. The problem is that if you don't have those skills, there can be some situations like above where you have clearly won the battle, but takes forever to kill that remaining enemy... and that's not good.

So I'm thinking about a solution, which could maybe be restoring the "staggered" system, in this case reducing the enemy armor if you hit him consecutively (would make sense I guess). Or some other solution so that the armor wears off over time even if you don't have those armor-destroying skills...
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well found an interesting solution:

Code: Select all

if pTarget.stagger>pTarget.hp*.2 and pTarget.ar>pTarget.getValue("Defense")/5:
                    pTarget.stagger=0;pTarget.ar-=1
                    self.notes.append(("Because of all the hits taken, %s has lost 1 Defense!" % pTarget.name))
in practice each character has a stagger counter, every time it gets damaged for 20% of its CURRENT HP, loses 1 defense (up to 1/5 of initial defense).
This way as you damage someone, it loses defense, and as it loses defense, gets damaged more :lol: I tried a few fights and seems fun, since this also applies to your party, so there's some more strategy involved. Also now I think the defense/speed tradeoff is good, since before if you had a super armored character was really hard to bring him/her down. Now it's still hard but possible :)

Also has some interesting applications like having enemies with a lot of HP but less defense, or few HP but very high defense, and the play is more different now.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

finishing Kusho's personal quest now (one of the possible paths). I must say that some people might find him a bit... unsettling, the way he talks about killing, but after all he's an assassin... :oops:
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

and this is one of the two items rewards for Kusho's sidemission. Meanwhile, I am coding another mission, this time a "party mission" (so you can choose who to bring with you).

I am adding various party banter like this scene:
in which player discovers that amazons don't have Gods but they worship Great-Mothers that in practice are past queens. This lead to a fun conversation about worshipping Karen.
Which is something completely normal that everyone in Aravorn should do!!!! /BOW TO KAREN THE AMAZON QUEEN 8)