About the DLC

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

About the DLC

Post by jack1974 »

It's not a rush decisions, I've waited 45 days after the game release, and about a week after Steam release (usually it's enough to understand how will go).
I'm not going to do the PSCD DLC. It's simply not worth it for me to spend 1 month (or more!) on designing the new cards, balancing, all the 10 new missions, etc. Especially for a DLC, something that only people who bought the base game will play.

HOWEVER, it's a pity to let the extra romances go waste, since they are already written. So, I'm going to include them in the base game without any extra charge. Hopefully this will increase a bit the base game sales, since in practice there are A LOT of romances included :)

I'm sorry for those who liked the card game but the main mistake in this specific case was planning a DLC without knowing first how the base game would do! Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking... or maybe, simply last year I was doing too many things at once that I made a lot of planning mistakes (at least I want to think that's the reason haha).

That's it, I thought about this a lot and I think is the best thing to do for me right now. Together with sticking to manga artists for all my future games, I've learned my lesson now :mrgreen:

I will post here and on twitter when the extra romances are added (but will be easy to notice since will also change the version number).
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: About the DLC

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:It's not a rush decisions, I've waited 45 days after the game release, and about a week after Steam release (usually it's enough to understand how will go).
I'm not going to do the PSCD DLC. It's simply not worth it for me to spend 1 month (or more!) on designing the new cards, balancing, all the 10 new missions, etc. Especially for a DLC, something that only people who bought the base game will play.
That is the proper decision to make in this case. You need to focus your time and energy on the games that are doing well.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, otherwise I would do the same mistake I did 6 years ago with Vera Blanc - finish the second episode just because I already had the art/writing. Result, wasted 2 months and it's my worst selling game ever :lol:
PSCD is NOT selling terribly, is doing OK (on Steam is bad but could be due to other things too). But working on a DLC for it right now... seems a wrong move :)
By the way I want to publicly thank Miakoda for her support and hard work, because without her PSCD would have been much worse. If I don't mark this project as "failure" but only as "average" is only thanks to her :)
OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe »

That's fine with me,As long as I get the option to romance Galina I'm happy.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, all the planned romance will come into the base game for free on next update. I only need to get them scripted, add the CG, etc. (I'm also going to ask artist to redo a CG since it turned out a bit bad).
But that shouldn't take long once "the scripter" sends me the new files :)
pahldus
Woods ranger

Post by pahldus »

I am really sorry this game didn't do better for you. Sometimes things just conspire against you, and this was just the perfect storm of issues. At least you have a proven formula to fall back on, and learned to experiment with some smaller projects, instead of going balls to the walls. Just don't let it get you too down, I think your audience for these games is still there, we just need to get the word out better and we need to help you garner support with word of mouth.
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about cancelling of the DLC :( , yet I'm obviously happy for the extra content added to the base game. :)
I seriously hope this game will gain move love in time, as it does deserve it.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks to both. And I definitely want to do more card games in future. Just not with a story :wink: They can be those games I'll do during the moments of "calm" between a dating sim and a RPG :)
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Well, sad as it is, it's a decision you had to make. I don't think it was possible to predict it would do as poorly as it does. If you never take any chances, we just end up with the same regurgitated games over and over.

I'll take more card games with less story though.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes sure, indeed I don't regret making this game, was worth trying something different. I regret only making it so big haha. But I've learned a good lesson for the future! :)