my conclusions :)

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

my conclusions :)

Post by jack1974 »

Thanks for all the feedback. I will keep reading the other thread but since need to work on the new games, probably won't answer so much often as before :lol:
My conclusions about PSCD are:
- art was much more important than I thought. I wish I had changed it BEFORE release offering an alternate version (like Hanako did with her latest game), but now it's too late
- talking with other indies, the problem is also the mix-up. I probably was much better off doing either a CARD GAME, OR a VN. Mixing VN with RPG works, because both are based on story (unless you play pure hack'n'slash RPGs). Also, the RPG+romances a tested formula (Bioware, Fire Emblem, etc).
- the competition or "bad moment" could have some impact, but I don't think very big. The main problem was the wrong mixup and art. If I made it a card game only, I could have added some more gameplay features, like a map to conquest, regions giving bonuses, etc etc (just some random ideas I got now). I could have sold it for less and could have been more competitive. And if I made a sci-fi VN only, I could have planned it more better so Miakoda could have done a better job: it's not easy to write a story when someone tells you "short sentences, the game will be a fully voiced TD". Then after a few months "oops sorry the coder quit, will be a card game instead, oh add a lot of descriptions, make scenes longer". Honestly, I'm surprised by the good result :lol: and that's why I am SUPER confident on Love Bites :)

As said the game still sold so it's not like it was a failure. I will of course do the DLC since has some of the most interesting romances :wink: but in future games I'll remember the lesson I learned here!
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: my conclusions :)

Post by Troyen »

What does this mean for Undead Lily? :(
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well the story is being written independently from the gameplay. So even if I decide to not use the card game system (which at this point is quite likely since the VN+card game combo is not really good) but another (RPG or pokemon style) won't matter much :)
This doesn't mean I won't make more card games. But probably they will be just that: card games, without a story (so I can also sell them cheaper).
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

If you strip the cards out, perhaps you could sell a UL-theme card game as an addon? Like the base Undead Lily game is the VN, and for an additional price you can add card gameplay? Seems like a waste of all that card art.
rooke30
Young scout

Post by rooke30 »

jack1974 wrote: - talking with other indies, the problem is also the mix-up. I probably was much better off doing either a CARD GAME, OR a VN. Mixing VN with RPG works, because both are based on story (unless you play pure hack'n'slash RPGs). Also, the RPG+romances a tested formula (Bioware, Fire Emblem, etc).
That's the reason I didn't pick this game up - the card style gameplay. Sorry :(

I'm not sure but I think card battle VNs tend to be 'looked down on' in the translated VN community also.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Troyen wrote:If you strip the cards out, perhaps you could sell a UL-theme card game as an addon? Like the base Undead Lily game is the VN, and for an additional price you can add card gameplay? Seems like a waste of all that card art.
No that card art won't be wasted! They can be avatars that fight battles and level up, or something. I need to figure it out yet :) Your solution would also be good though, even if probably I would do two completely SEPARATE thing. VN and card games doesn't seem to work together.
IotaOne
Young scout

Post by IotaOne »

Sad, i really like the game, especially because of the mix. I still hope it will perform well on the long run.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people f*cking hate poetry."
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I hope too! a big mistake I did was to invest so much time/money (even if PERSONALLY I didn't invest a lof of time, luckily) on something new like this. It's always wise to try something new with a SMALL game, and no an epic 200k+ word long game :lol: I remember I was similarly scared with Loren, but that one ended well, even if was not a big surprise, as said the RPG+story/romance is a well established formula (also Loren's artist was perfect).