PSCD 0.7.3 - Alpha preview demo!

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: PSCD 0.7.1 - Alpha preview demo!

Post by jack1974 »

Franka wrote: Redraw doesn't work, is that because I'm in the tutorial?
Yes, if you click on it there's a messagebox that explains the "rules" (one of them is that you're not in in tutorial/fixed draw mode).
Franka wrote: Mission 1:
I'm supposed to kill all enemy units. I do so easily enough. Now the AI keeps either summoning invisible units I can't attack or simply doesn't play any cards, and the game just drags on and on. Let me attack the enemy leader or something, I've already won but I have to sit through 10 more turns waiting for units I can attack, until I've killed them all. Resources were completely irrelevant in this mission.
Well, it's the FIRST tutorial mission, so I didn't want to make it too hard, so the enemy is slower at summoning units. But yes adding enemy leader to attack would work too.
Franka wrote: Mission 2:
I die in round 2. :lol: Round 0: Enemy kills my unit, damages me. Round 1: I play a Mine, enemy destroys both my mines, hits me. Round 2: I play a sharpshooter, enemy kills me.
Tried again, made it to round 3 before being killed. I don't think Bloodlust should trigger when the player is damaged, it's overpowered. The fight seems to be unwinnable on hard (but easy enough on normal). On hard, you can't kill a unit in time, so it's impossible to play the wall because it costs credits. Not that I think you can make it even if you can put the wall down early.
Yes I messed up a bit that one. I had tested them all in Hard, but I made several changes, so probably screwed up. Since another user complained, I think will change Bloodlust to work only when enemy KILLS a unit (so much harder to trigger than just do damage). I'll keep that for some more powerful enemies later in the game.
Franka wrote: Mission 3:
Won with 4 health left. If the enemy had taken more care of attack order and more consistently targeted the player, I would have lost. Resources were not an issue.
OK good :)
Franka wrote: Side Missions:
Getting into an unwinnable game is too easy (playing on hard), there aren't enough offensive units to kill all opponent cards. Again, you should be able to attack the opponent directly instead of having to kill all units.
Yes in the beginning probably the offensive units are too limited. I'll allow attack on enemy hero too, to make it easier.
Franka wrote: Deck Builder:
Very confusing layout. Can switch to multiple pages that have no cards in them. Explanations of buttons and the various abilities needed.
Ah true the maximum page limit doesn't work :lol: should go in an empty page :)
Franka wrote: In general: I don't play either buildings or resource generating cards, they're not worth the deck space.

Diana's deck: Take Cover is a waste of deck space, since targeting is so random anyway.

Charlotte's Deck: Spiked Iron-Vines is the best card in any starting deck, and probably the only way to win Side missions in Hard mode.

Xavier's deck: Assault Biker is very good, especially for the cost (doesn't require credits).

Galina's deck: Bounty looks like a really bad card.

Christophe's deck: Matrick Mercenary is very good.

Graciela's deck: Recon Unit is too situational, and not good enough to cost credits.

Mario's deck: Only good for survive X turns fights.
Regarding buildings, probably will remove them or use them in another way. Maybe if they counted as Wall (so at least enemies have to destroy them) would be better?
About the other cards, will wait until the full decks are revealed since like happens in all card games, some hero/classes have stronger cards in later, some earlier, and what matters is the overall balance.
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: PSCD 0.7.1 - Alpha preview demo!

Post by jack1974 »

Fixed the crash on side missions, and nerfed down Bloodlust a lot. Now I think second mission on hard should be beatable :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: PSCD 0.7.3 - Alpha preview demo!

Post by jack1974 »

Lol because of the resources cap, the second mission couldn't have been won anymore (hard to reach 15 materials when the cap is 10!). So I updated it to 0.7.3, which has also an AI fix, should make the computer tougher overall (will target healing units more aggressively).
Alex81
Woods ranger

Post by Alex81 »

Mmmh, I might try this again later, I'm a -complete- analphabet when comes to games such as these, I don't even know where to start, I click the cards ..a few times, then clicked end turn when I thought I had managed to pick attacks. *shakes head* I'm really that clueless

The tutorial's probably good, and I'll certainly need one to even start understanding where to begin here :p I was completely clueless during the first fight, I think I'm going to need a Youtube video tutorial on this one, I've never really played card-games such as these, so guess my learning curve's a bit steeper.

Love the presentation and the characters so far, I'll definitely try force myself to learn how to play it. Sorry I can't give any real feedback
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

A few things I noticed playing on hard.

1- destroying all enemy's monster in the main mission against the Matrick with Graziela is impossible. I don't have that many creatures to kill them all, and my upgraded units weren't avaliable because I couldn't use Galina's cards.

2- first turn without any monster is a waste, the player is in disavantage without doing anything in the first turn.

3- main missions should give stars, our offensive cards are to weak, our only advantage is the wall cards.

4- resources s generation cards are a waste, resources aren't a problem, but units that cant attack or aren't walls doesn't contribute to the deck.

5- its better to have less good cards than having a lot of cards, many times I had to redraw a lot because the cards I draw werent useful. Quality > Quantity.
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

Two things I forgot:

First: Christophe mission still say the player needs 15 materials to win.

Second: is there a way to show the resources symbol alongside their names? At first I didn't know with resources I needed for cast my cards.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Alex81 wrote:Mmmh, I might try this again later, I'm a -complete- analphabet when comes to games such as these, I don't even know where to start, I click the cards ..a few times, then clicked end turn when I thought I had managed to pick attacks. *shakes head* I'm really that clueless
All the animations are missing, and probably I need to highlight better the cards that can move :)
That said I still plan to add a "VN mode" in the final game, so people who want can play the game without any battle.
ValHallen wrote:1- destroying all enemy's monster in the main mission against the Matrick with Graziela is impossible. I don't have that many creatures to kill them all, and my upgraded units weren't avaliable because I couldn't use Galina's cards.
Which difficulty did you play? I tested all battles on hard so it should be possible. Besides with the Matrick you don't need to kill all monsters, but reduce the opponent's HP to zero, and that's possible I think. The other choice is to resist 10 turns, which should be possible too (the mission has two variants depending on choices).
ValHallen wrote:2- first turn without any monster is a waste, the player is in disavantage without doing anything in the first turn.
That is just the tutorial, in the game with custom decks (how it will work after mission 10 or the side missions) it's random, so depends on luck (like all those cards games).
ValHallen wrote:3- main missions should give stars, our offensive cards are to weak, our only advantage is the wall cards.
Yes I've been thinking about this. Give some stars at fixed points. I think will add that. Maybe not one star each mission, but every two missions or something yes.
ValHallen wrote:4- resources s generation cards are a waste, resources aren't a problem, but units that cant attack or aren't walls doesn't contribute to the deck.
Yes I started another thread to trying to find a better use to those cards :)
ValHallen wrote:5- its better to have less good cards than having a lot of cards, many times I had to redraw a lot because the cards I draw werent useful. Quality > Quantity.
Well that's how it works with cards games. However, remember that later in the game you'll have more powerful cards.
ValHallen wrote:First: Christophe mission still say the player needs 15 materials to win.
Yes I need to change the tutorial after I put the resources cap to 10. Will tweak that mission a bit too on next update.
ValHallen wrote:Second: is there a way to show the resources symbol alongside their names? At first I didn't know with resources I needed for cast my cards.
Yes it's planned, I was waiting to get the final layout, but I guess I can add the resources icons already (waiting for the final GUI might take too long).
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

jack1974 wrote: Which difficulty did you play? I tested all battles on hard so it should be possible. Besides with the Matrick you don't need to kill all monsters, but reduce the opponent's HP to zero, and that's possible I think. The other choice is to resist 10 turns, which should be possible too (the mission has two variants depending on choices).

That is just the tutorial, in the game with custom decks (how it will work after mission 10 or the side missions) it's random, so depends on luck (like all those cards games).
Played on hard, choose to kill the imprisioned Matrick (its not the Galina's mission, its the next main mission, sorry if it wasnt clear). I couldn't attack the enemy hero and the only way I could achieve victory is if I killed all the enemies (there was no other way written on the mission information).

But in the side mission you cant do anything in the first turn because you don't have any resources, the only thing the player can do is pass the turn.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

ValHallen wrote: Played on hard, choose to kill the imprisioned Matrick (its not the Galina's mission, its the next main mission, sorry if it wasnt clear). I couldn't attack the enemy hero and the only way I could achieve victory is if I killed all the enemies (there was no other way written on the mission information).
Ah yes true, I didn't test that one on Hard a lot. Will need to try again tomorrow :)
ValHallen wrote: But in the side mission you cant do anything in the first turn because you don't have any resources, the only thing the player can do is pass the turn.
I see, will have at least 1 in all resources on first round, that should change things quite a bit !
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

Another thing I remembered:

I clicked in the Quick Fix card and then I clicked in the other Quick Fix card, the second one vanished and only one Quick Fix effect was applied on my wall.