deck building screen

A VN/CCG hybrid game with all romance combos https://www.winterwolves.com/pscd.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

deck building screen

Post by jack1974 »

I want to do an experiment, post various screenshot of the deck-building screen as it gets coded/perfected. This is where we start:
this is the "barebone" stuff, just using Ren'Py default buttons. I am going to do a mockup and ask Loren's artist to draw the GUI. The result should be GOOD :o
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: deck building screen

Post by Troyen »

So, beta next week?

More seriously, if we're building decks on this screen, we'll need to see the card stats in addition to everything else in our deck.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I plan to show them Hearthstone-style, with bigger cards with description, and stats on the borders.
Anima sent me a PDF guide to create the cards :lol: now comes the fun part, creating all the 100+ cards...!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Meanwhile, have a work in progress card:
the card border/frame seems good, but I'll show to the GUI artist to polish it even more :)
Anima_
Druid

Post by Anima_ »

jack1974 wrote:Anima sent me a PDF guide to create the cards :lol: now comes the fun part, creating all the 100+ cards...!
It's already at 11 pages. I'm not sure what's worse. That Jack has to read and understand that all or that I had to write it. There are only a handful of cards that need new stuff though.
RPG Programmer for Winterwolves, currently working on: Amber's Magic Shop
Part-time emotionless AI
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Anima_ wrote:
jack1974 wrote:Anima sent me a PDF guide to create the cards :lol: now comes the fun part, creating all the 100+ cards...!
It's already at 11 pages. I'm not sure what's worse. That Jack has to read and understand that all or that I had to write it.
Well, for me is not a problem. I can always bother you by email :twisted: :twisted:
Anima_ wrote:There are only a handful of cards that need new stuff though.
Yes, FOR THIS GAME... :mrgreen:
/insert evil laugh
MOUHAHAHA

Jokes apart, great job, I'm enjoying creating all the cards :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Sooo well, I made a lot of cards! 8)
However already from early testing it's clear that my ideas weren't that good. I didn't want to copy Hearthstone basics, but I should have.
I had an "armor" value that was decreasing by 1 every hit, but it was very complex to determine how much damage a unit would do, so asked Anima to remove it. Was only causing confusion, making harder to come up with decisions.

Now have another problem, since if a unit is killed by the attack, doesn't retaliate. Which means if I have a strong attack unit on the field, I could kill any summoned unit with low attack values... :lol: not an ideal situation for balancing.

Somehow I thought I could come up with better mechanics than a huge team like Blizzard. I was wrong :mrgreen:

Of course the game will only share some things, but I think the basic mechanics are good (besides, are similar to what happens in Magic:The Gathering, so it's not like they invented it).

So now will simply be Attack and HP. Attacking decreases HP on both sides. STOP. Simple and intuitive!! :wink:
OhHaiMe
Young scout

Post by OhHaiMe »

Do both players have Health value that's separate from Card/unit health?
If so can you choose to attack a player if they have cards active or do cards have to be attacked first?

Something interesting might be to allow the player to always attack the opponents health directly but give cards a set armor value that only reduces attacks done to the players health,not the cards,while they are in play.
This would give incentive to attack both the opponent directly and their cards.It would also let you make some interesting decision in what cards to play.Do you play this card with high defense or this one with high attack?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes, in this case is not players since you can have up to 3 hero in each battle, but the "Colony HP".
For the enemy, in some cases there is a "boss enemy", in other cases are just waves after waves of aliens to kill 8)
Using your system might work but it's a bit complicated, I wanted something very easy to learn/intuitive.
I've tried now with the new system and seems quite interesting, since there are "Wall" units that are like the Taunt card of Hearthstone, etc.
I'll need the computer AI to cheat badly to be a worthwhile opponent, but that's not a problem since even Blizzard does that for their "adventures". Otherwise beating human AI fairly in a card game would be almost impossible.
Franka
Elder Druid

Post by Franka »

Well, Hearthstone has been copied before, by Shadow Era.

I do hope you're able to make it a little different though, or at least come up with different kinds of abilities. Obviously Ranged cards can shoot over Walls. :wink: