A thought about Chalassa

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Harbinger1975
Young scout

A thought about Chalassa

Post by Harbinger1975 »

So, I remember reading somewhere in one of the threads in this forum that, Jack, you weren't sure about Chalassa's cannon ending. This is just a thought and I think it could make for a GREAT tie in. Let me explain.

If you decide to let the canon ending be that Chalassa is saved by Althea, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. And I'm looking at this from a writer's perspective. I completely adored the happy ending with Chalassa because as I see it, yes, her mission is to help the other Bloodskins see freedom with Althea at her side all the time. But also, I see Chalassa not just as the Bloodskins' champion, but the Shapeshifters champion and protector as well. Her skills and devotion to Althea and her family raised the bar in that. Also, consider the connection with Jariel, the shapeshifter girl he saved and her brother. That all connects to Grandtree and Loren's world. These tie ins can make for an AWESOME combination of the two lands. And I completely understand that undertaking would be immense. I do not deny that at all. But the set up between the two is just too delicious to pass up with the Chalassa being saved happy ending as canon.

Now if people decided not saving Chalassa was their cup of tea, nothing lost, nothing gained, the world would go on...in a manner of speaking.

God dammit. Now I have to do a write up for the happy ending connections.

-goes off to spend time writing-
"Direct intervention is necessary. Assuming direct control."
Exizel
Woods ranger

Re: A thought about Chalassa

Post by Exizel »

the DLC is already written and it has a version with chalassa alive and one without
kadakithis
Druid

Post by kadakithis »

I like there are 2 versions since you can't save her as a friend, and thus it is strange to retcon that she lived in all the other playthroughs in which she didn't. I am glad she did have a happy ending though. It is often the go to that a lesbian or bisexual woman (if that is the only f/f romance in a given media) is almost always sad to the point that many lesbians have a hard time quoting almost any media where it ends well. Suicide, death, embitterment to the end of days, rampant cheating, drugs, f/f romances are often the first ones to be championed to show darker or less optimal endings.

I like that there is a nice ending where the 2 of them can overcome those obstacles. It means a lot more than another sad ending which stands out in the lot of happier endings. Happy sweet f/f stories are pretty rare, and it means so much to have one where it doesn't end in gloom and doom.
Harbinger1975
Young scout

Post by Harbinger1975 »

Exizel wrote:the DLC is already written and it has a version with chalassa alive and one without
No, I know it does. I'm just talking about writing a fanfic :)
Exizel
Woods ranger

Post by Exizel »

well you were talking about canon so I assumed you were talking about.....canon
Taleweaver
Official writer

Post by Taleweaver »

As far as I am concerned, there is no "canon", and I don't think there will be further games featuring the twins. If there should be any, the canon would be that neither of the twins found a love interest and remained friends with the others - in that ending, Chalassa will be presumed dead. (Note that her body disappeared, though...)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

More games about the twins in specific I doubt too, since because of the multiple ending/canon stuff is always hard to do such games (no matter what you do, people are unhappy, so is better to start fresh). The twins and other characters from SOTW could make appearances in other games and for all I would assume a "canon ending", or simply before SOTW events (like Vaelis might show up in a game when he was a mercenary for example).
Exizel
Woods ranger

Post by Exizel »

Taleweaver wrote: Chalassa will be presumed dead. (Note that her body disappeared, though...)
... deceive until the end, It fits the game's theme. For the canon you can make character appear without hinting a specifique ending or you can ask at the begining of the game which ending the player had and make one cameo scene for each ending.
Harbinger1975
Young scout

Post by Harbinger1975 »

All I can say is: Jack, I blame you and the team because your games are so awesome (yes, I know, I can't say it enough)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Thank you :)