how the heck to you beat deceit

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
edm181
Young scout

how the heck to you beat deceit

Post by edm181 »

i know a lot of people have said they have beat him easily so i must be doing something very wrong because i cannot even beat him on easy.i have tried multiple times and so far i have only managed to get him down to 450 hp and then eventually heals himself back up to 800 hp. i don't know what i am doing wrong all my characters are level 19, i have tried different character combination based off what others have posted on another discussion board similar to this one and nothing i do seems to work. i know he is an optional boss but i really want to beat him
(also i am using the 1.0.5 version, don't know if that makes a difference)
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: how the heck to you beat deceit

Post by jack1974 »

Check the forums, plenty of posts about this with tips. Most likely your party build is really bad. I say this because another user couldn't win in easy, and he basically picked all the Traits and no Skills. Yet he tried again after buying a lot of potions/bombs and he was able to beat the battle himself, even with that completely wrong built party, so... in Easy mode, is really impossible not to beat him!
(of course, is the hardest fight of the game, so... will need several attempts)
edm181
Young scout

Post by edm181 »

oh, yeah! i already read that so i got a ton of bombs of (a mixture of heavy, medium and light-i have about 80 in total) and basically bought out the stores of any potions they had, also my party isn't one sided when it comes to stats and traits or at least i think so i don't have to much experience with rpgs-this is only the 3rd one i have played (mostly play them for the story) . and i''ve been trying to beat him since Monday, with several attempts throughout the days and all i get is a very long drawn out battle where i get him to about 450 and he just heals himself until i have exhausted all my spells and bombs. as i said above i don't have a lot of experience with these types of game but everyone is saying that it should be easy so i don't understand what i am doing wrong.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah I see, you know that this battle is optional and only required to get the Chalassa's good ending right? Anyway maybe in next update I can remove Deceit autohealing skill if playing in Easy :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

If you upload your save file, maybe we can give you skill suggestions.
edm181
Young scout

Post by edm181 »

how do you upload a saved file on here because i would appreciate any advice i can get.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Depends on what OS you're on.

For mac users, the save games are located at /Users/you/Library/RenPy
For Windows, it's somewhere else. There's a thread with the info in one of these forums but I can never find it. (Maybe it should be stickied to the main forum instead?)

Use a file-sharing service like Dropbox or OneDrive to upload it and link here. I don't think you can add as an attachment.
edm181
Young scout

Post by edm181 »

Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Ah, this is a bit challenging. You don't have any dispel scrolls (shops don't always offer them) and many of your skills aren't great for boss fights because they require staggered, just don't work on bosses, or are more geared for AoE fights. You may want to pick up some single target spells for Act 4 and the Attacker trait on your physical damage dealers. At level 15+, it's a nice boost to damage/striking power. Plus, the AoE spells have a much lower chance to inflict debuffs than the single target ones, and Slowed, Shattered, Scared are all huge on this.

I'll be honest, with this party setup, it feels like fighting a boss on nightmare rather than easy.

With your party, I had the best luck with Shea, Krimm, and Rowinda back row, Riley, Jariel, Althea in the front row. (I went with Krimm because you don't have paralysis dispel and she has a huge amount of paralyze resistance so she can break out and keep up the bleed easier.) I didn't actually beat it; I got him to 80 HP but then he cleansed and then he healed up. I could probably do it if I tried for a bit more, but I'm limited on time.

My strategy:
Shea/Rowinda put scrolls of haste on Riley, Jariel, Althea. (Tip: if the character has at least 1 turn left on the 60% haste buff, you can give them a weak potion of haste and it'll give them +3 turns at the 60% level, so you can save your more expensive scrolls until Deceit dispels your party.) If everyone on the front row has at least 4 turns of haste, they switch to using mana/healing potions (even the cheap ones) just for the low delay. If they get unparalyzed and the front row is hasted, then I had Rowinda use Deadly Swamp (praying for Shattered) or Cyclone if Deceit already has shattered. Shea would use Earthquake to inflict Shattered or Fireball if Shattered was up for the extra dot damage. The healing spells aren't needed because you'll have plenty of turns tossing around your million healing potions.

Krimm tosses out minor healing/mana potions until she's unparalyzed (she gets 0-2 turns). I'll use Spinning Strike to inflict bleed if he's not bleeding, normal attack if Deceit is high on HP and/or the turn predictor says she'll go again before he does. Mighty Blow if he's at half health or lower. Normal only hits for 12, Mighty Blow for 40, but the delay on Mighty Blow is kinda nasty, so using it when Deceit is high doesn't seem to help much.

Riley puts up Magic Chains if the boss isn't Slowed, otherwise he does Shadow of Death for Scared.

Jariel puts up Potion of Slowness if nobody else can put up Slowed before Deceit will go, otherwise he just tosses heavy explosive bomb. (Even on easy, he seems to miss 15% of the time. Someone should teach him how to aim.)

Althea is complicated and probably the key. I tried Take Aim + hide in shadows + Critical Hit, which if you can pull it off (and the boss has Scared + Shattered) hits for ~250. But, Take Aim/Hide in Shadows both have a long delay, Cleanse wipes out Take Aim, and Curse of Whatever dispels Hide in Shadows. I managed to get the super combo hit off once, all other times part of my combo was dispelled and by the time I set it up again he had already healed out of the danger zone. I think I had better luck just tossing heavy bombs constantly.

Maybe you can play with it a bit more and figure something else out. Sorry. :( Maybe fabula has the key?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No worries, I'm going to upload a new update today which eliminates the Cleanse skill on Deceit for easy mode. I think is the best solution since people playing in Easy don't want to bother with tough boss fights :) I just tried that save and beat him at first attempt without using any potions, so I'm sure is fine!