Topic Discussion on Balance for game

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

Topic Discussion on Balance for game

Post by deathknight1728 »

I have played up until chapter 4 captivity with Shea.

-On ocassion in Chapter 1, if you go to north from your house, the
characters will show vaelis, shea and althea telling you that they cant
go any further. On the 2nd to 4th try, the characters will go through
saying that only 5 million times fast. Its a bug

-The Experience in chapters 1-4 isnt enough to gain even 1/30th of a lvl
for any characters which will discourage exp farming which makes this
game awesome. This was my favorite part of the game.

-Heres the main part. Enemies are way to hard even on normal difficulty.
The Spiders need to lower the stun and poison ability that stacks. Its
entirely possible for enemies to stun the whole party within the span of
1 round stunning your allies for 5-7 rounds. I can understand brutal but
the spiders take away all your healing potions which you need for
captivity escape.

I would lower the length of stun/effects to 2 rounds maximum per
launching it Right now it is 5-7 on first try which is insane!

The enemies get a lot of aoes but that might be interesting. Otherwise I
bought the game and it is a great game.

Has anyone else has similar results?
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: Topic Discussion on Balance for game

Post by jack1974 »

The first one is because you pressed TAB or auto-skip (the only reason why the texts will go so fast).
As for difficulty: I'm NOT changing Hard/Nightmare levels. They're perfect as they are. I can change Easy and Normal based on feedback (from more people of course). BTW check the video I made in the other thread, I used only 3 potions to win the boss fight with the Giant Snow Spider, using a super-lame team with level 1 items (the starting items actually!! :lol:) so I don't think is too hard in Normal.

Of course I won't change the enemy battle behavior except extreme cases (I get a lot of complaints about a specific battle). Since if I change it, would change also for the other difficulty levels.
Also, if a battle is OPTIONAL (so not required by the plot) I'm less inclined to change it. One thing was the assassin fight in act2 which is required, but all sidequests are optional so not necessarily you need to make them.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

The only thing that I would ask of you is the poison and stun levels that are granted from spiders/creatures. It seemed like chars were getting 4-5 rounds per casting of poison bite. Keep in mind, this is an aoe. Ouch! I am only asking that you take note of the levels given from status effects.

-There should most definitely be a max you can get from status effects. Anything more than 10 rounds is ridiculous even if you are giving it to the enemy :mrgreen:

-Maybe it was just me, but I think that 3 rounds per status effect would be max. I will try and do what you said however after watching the video. Thanks.

It would seem the glory of Lolth be praised! (Drizzt shudders). Well I never liked spiders much anyway but it definitely is good for a change to make the nasty beasties pack a punch! :lol:
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

The limit I think is 7 for paralysis, while poison and other statuses can go up to 10 indeed. If you want you can send me your save so I check :)
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

A note on spider web (paralysis). If you have an empty slot between your chars, then one spider can only inflict paralysis on one of your team members at a time. I never had the Act 1 spiders inflicting AOE poison on me, either. Act 3 poisonous critters are a whole different issue, as are Act 2-3 paralysis inflicters. Good gear can reduce paralysis effect to 2 rounds on Vaelis/druid/Jariel (who can then Rally/Purify others) after act 1.
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

What about which characters you have to take out in the right order in Escape Captivity battles? I usually just run out of potions. But then again I only had 2 health and 1 restore ally pot. The enemies are so much harder than in Loren and even Planet Stronghold which is weird considering I play Planet Stronghold on normal/hard difficulty.
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think simply you haven't learned yet how the game works in full. It's a more complex game than previous ones so takes a bit to get used to it. Beside potions, you need also good gears, and pick the right skills (some are more powerful than others). I still remember you being very angry with Loren the first time you played, then you took time to learn it and liked it :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

If you list out your classes and the skills you have, it might help us provide more targeted suggestions. There are some skills that are really good early level, some that are situational, and some that you probably shouldn't take until level 50. It is possible to do the entire first act on Nightmare without potions at all, but a lot of it is skills, target order, and positioning. Some of it is also stat choices - if you're dying a lot, putting some points in Con (until you have about 100 HP) and Will (so you can use more than two skills before resting) really help out as well. And since the heal skills are % based, the more health you have, the more effective they are.

Also, if you really dislike paralysis and you're lucky enough to find paralysis gear, resistance reduces the duration of status effects. (Not sure I would recommend this as a long-term strategy though, as not all that many mobs have paralyze skills.)
deathknight1728
Woods ranger

I pretty much assumed that SOTW would use similar skills and stat choices to Loren. I made my ranger put 1 point to constitution, 2 skill, 2 strength and remaining one in agility. This will be since the character is a fighter character. However the weird thing is that the auto choose selects will and arcane. Why on earth would a warrior use magic. This is very different from typical rpgs. I figured most fighter chars would focus on physical stats. Its very weird that the auto choose selects just strength and will/arcane. What is the point?

I really liked the skill which is an attack that requires ranger and twohanded weapon skill. I gave my ranger a twohanded hammer and he actually deals major damage when they stagger.

I dont have any idea what to put for points for my althea the hunter seeing as I can only guess agility and constitution. I am guessing that the game uses a diablo style where everyone needs mana to funnel their attacks even warriors. Im just not used to it.

Any info?
?
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

When you choose auto, uses a weighted random to pick the skills. Going to make less likely for warrior to pick arcane, but its doesn't ALWAYS pick that :)