Third Act Beta! - SOTW 0.8.38

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
VanillaPink
Young scout

Re: Third Act Beta! - SOTW 0.8.37

Post by VanillaPink »

jack1974 wrote:
fabulaparva wrote:In Act 1, when the twins go to the tavern to talk with Daronas about the graveyard, they are all stonefaced through the whole convo. No expression changes on any of the three sprites, even though some of their lines indicate surprise, etc. Is this on purpose or a bug?
Is because they're SHOOOOOOOCKED! :mrgreen: Honestly I am not going to fix such problems in an insanely huge game like this, otherwise I would never finish it :lol:
VanillaPink wrote:I got a bug when trying to load my save from the last act. D:
Very likely your last save was from a very old version (before I used the new Ren'Py framework).
I tried to save it on the updated 2nd act beta, but it gave me the same error. T^T I guess I can just keep trying again until I find a solution.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: Third Act Beta! - SOTW 0.8.36

Post by Troyen »

jack1974 wrote:
Troyen wrote:I've played the entire game on nightmare. It's just been across multiple versions of the Act 3 beta.

For example, I got Yeldin and Jariel's quest achievements in the same run I killed the Kraken today (0.8.36), but no Kraken achievement? I can try loading a game this evening to see if it shows up this time, but that's odd.

Do you still get the boss achievements if they die to dots?
Yes doesn't matter how it dies, since I assign the achievement at end of combat. The fact that you played using multiple versions of act3 COULD be the issue, but is still strange. Waiting to see what other people say, but now I have a doubt - you didn't fight the Kraken in the Sunken Ship quest right? because that's when you get the achievement :) he is one of a tough guy to die (you have several fights against him!).
Ok, then I probably don't have the kraken legitimately then. But I should still have Riley/Krimm. :( (I even made a thread about Riley! Remember? 15 minutes on nightmare fighting that golem!)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Depends when you did it, I made the achievements work only last week if I remember correctly! so if you played that before... sorry :oops:
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

Description says now 75%, but the Tree of Life still heals only to/by 50%.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

OOps, fixing it now.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I am officially out of the max-exp-grind now. Act 3 battles take too long to win, especially with regen dance at the end, for me to bother killing stuff just because it lives. Using taverns isn't even an option half the time and the old Mana Channels aren't cutting it.

Too, the power granted by experience is rather illusionary at this point; enemies level up when I do and I have no exciting skill picks left.

I would prefer it if I just got a full heal after every battle in act 2 and onward. Because I can do that if I have Riley and I hate my brain cells enough. I'm just ranting though.

I miss my Loren overwhelm style party so dearly :(
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

yayswords wrote:I am officially out of the max-exp-grind now. Act 3 battles take too long to win, especially with regen dance at the end, for me to bother killing stuff just because it lives. Using taverns isn't even an option half the time and the old Mana Channels aren't cutting it.

Too, the power granted by experience is rather illusionary at this point; enemies level up when I do and I have no exciting skill picks left.

I would prefer it if I just got a full heal after every battle in act 2 and onward. Because I can do that if I have Riley and I hate my brain cells enough. I'm just ranting though.

I miss my Loren overwhelm style party so dearly :(
The enemies might level up (do they? Mobs were generally gray at the end of act 2 for me), but I don't think they scale with gear upgrades anymore, and your gear gets better from farming. But yeah, battles here are much longer and more time consuming. For bosses that's cool, but for trash encounters? I'd rather skip the fight if I can.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Haha well you complained about Loren's difficulty, and now that's what you get. You can't have both, at least with the current system. The biggest difference in previous acts was that because of the old AI, enemies were dumb and weren't healing, buffing, restoring SP, etc as much as the party. Now they do, but a balanced fight naturally takes more time (otherwise, is unbalanced by definition).
In future RPGs I'm not even sure having 6 vs 6 battles is a cool thing to do anymore. I prefer smaller parties personally, but that might just be personal tastes. Or I should design the new combat to be solved more quickly, perhaps using a much smaller scale, like characters with 10-15 HP, each hit 1 dmg, then various skills but that mostly affect the status/condition and not much the damage, and so on (something I'm interested too after playing Banner Saga). Anyway, we're talking about grinding here so I think is fine.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I don't mind the difficulty at all, I mind the part where battles take up to 10 minutes extra so that I can be on full health and mana for the next. It's not a challenge, just a test of patience. Riley spends 90% his turns throwing Energize around/meleeing unless it's a boss fight.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well time to pick the Restless Traits maybe? :)