Let's talk about traits

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
yayswords
Elder Druid

Re: Let's talk about traits

Post by yayswords »

Yeah I suck at explaining the maths. Let's use an example.

If the damage ratio between 1h and 2h is 3:5, then we could have a 60 damage onehander and a 100 damage twohander of the same rarity, item level etc. Two of those onehanders are gonna do 60+15 damage. We want the offhand to deal 40 damage instead of 15, so the total is 100. 40 is two thirds (or 66.6666...%) of 60, so that's the damage modifier you want for the offhand instead of 25%. Up to you how you want to express it in the tooltip :)

Still this could just be the default behavior and we can use the trait slot for something else. The Chalassa trap is ever present :)

I think it's okay that dual wielding gets a small stat edge; it's extra work keeping two item slots in shape instead of one. Sweeping Strike vs. Cross Cut is still the decision I make on a ranger. Vaelis on the other hand could dual wield without problems, and hell he carries two axes around in dialogues anyway. Not sure if Krimm should be allowed to dual wield though, big sword is more rawr.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Okay so offhand damage would do 40% of normal damage.
As for Vaelis and Krimm, I can limit Krimm to use only 2h weapons (Heavy weapons including two handed sword/hammers etc). Seems to suit her character more indeed :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

No not 40% of normal damage, then you'd get 60+24 in that above example. If it did 40% extra (on top of the existing 25%) it would pretty much be 60+40 though.

(a shiny pelt to anyone who can explain it better)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Lol I don't understand then what should be the value? By default offhand does 25% of normal (primary hand) damage. So now what value that should become with the trait? :lol:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

66.66666...% :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah OK. Well will make 65% :mrgreen:
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

okay, I surrender and continue the +crit birthday present discussion. Critical damage with 50% instead of 25% would result in a balancing drama (yayswords discussed this already) and the +crit chance trait would be still abominable. What about using this trait to change the crit dmg to 50%? Would result in quite an ugly hack (afaik currently a critical hit is a bool flag and the damage multiplier hardcoded) but an exciting birthday present for any class except druid. If this isn't an option you could always increase the present's bonus, say +10% crit and +5 attack value.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I'd rather increase the bonus itself to avoid issues with other part of the game. Will do that now :)
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

and don't forget the normal crit trait - currently as underwhelming as the birthday present
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

What is the normal crit trait ?
I changed the PC exclusive trait during chargen to 10% and +5 attack, and the trait you can "buy" with skillpoints to 65% offhand.