Feedback on Those Sweet (and Bitter)Skills --Act 2

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
lagtastic
Young scout

Re: Feedback on Those Sweet (and Bitter)Skills --Act 2

Post by lagtastic »

Hey guys, didn't really want to make a new thread just for this question. But I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with the "Flaming Torch" skill for Hunter. I have my targets staggered, and I can't make use of this skill at all. Its just never an option to use. Does it really require you to go and buy or torch or something from a vender (I see some thief only items, but nothing like torches so far)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Wait next update, I think is a bug of a new battlefield condition (underwater) I added in act 3 that somehow gets triggered also in other battlefield situations, since another user couldn't cast the fireballs in some battles! Sorry about that :)
lagtastic
Young scout

Post by lagtastic »

lol ok, I was just going to say that I couldn't use fireball ether. (made a druid because I thought hunter was bugged or something)

I could use fireball in the first battle in the arena. But after that it wouldn't show up for any of the chapter 1 battles at the start.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Yes I fixed it in last update :)
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

yayswords wrote:Rowinda
(more guesswork than experience)
Syphon Lyfe: Never used and probably never will. No scaling!
Dark Empathy: Approved.
Soulbound: Also approved.
Life Channel: I imagine this to be overpowered as hell. If you haven't tried it you might want to note that each party member receives 15% her health; they don't split it. I could see myself with a Rowinda just piling up health and using this repeatedly.
Anathema: I think the investment is too high for only a debuff. It could have a lower cost or delay. Compare it to druid nukes.
Nukes: Now these are row nukes worth taking. Not looking at any druids in particular.
Madness: The most famous spell she has apparently. I tried it against Yeldin but he didn't seem to want to go mad so I can't say much :(

Overall I like her high mana cost concept combined with her ability to regain mana.
Pretty much agree with this assessment, though I've only had her for one giant ant fight.

Syphon Lyfe steals 30 hp when I have 250 and the twins can heal for 100? Not going to waste a point on that.
Soulbound seems to steal 25 SP even if the target doesn't have 25 SP, but I don't mind.
Anathema I'm skeptical of. Low upfront damage, 20 SP, and places a debuff...except most mobs I've fought have a high debuff resistance so it'll last less than three turns. Might as well just Ice Spike them and get the 20-80 direct damage.
The AoE spells are decent. Life Channel is awesome...I imagine, I didn't need to heal on the one fight with her, but I can see using her as a party healer and using my ranger to keep her healed. (Of course, the drawback is she's not doing damage while healing.)
Didn't get to play with Madness yet, but ouch, 50 SP. :x
I took Lightning Strike, but there were no enemies stacked in the same row to try it on. Maybe in Act 3.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

People playing Rowinda in act3 says is the most powerful spellscaster and probably is true :) Mouahahah! <insert Rowinda's laugh here>
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Anathema I'm skeptical of. Low upfront damage, 20 SP, and places a debuff...except most mobs I've fought have a high debuff resistance so it'll last less than three turns.
Anathema is pretty amazing in act 3... partly because it seems to be bugged and always grant 3 turns (just checked, indeed it is so). I was going to say the minimum 2 turns rule is keeping it decent, but I just realized that probably isn't in place for anything except paralysis, since druid nukes pretty much never get 3 turns of debuff. Anyway I guess thanks to that bug it's pretty great, since the value of that debuff increases as monster health does, whereas upfront damage doesn't really keep up with the HP gains.

For one playthrough (when we were in act 2) I took Syphon Life with the logic that sure, it will never do more than 30 damage, but it will also never do less, so maybe it would be useful against some super high magic target. I now think Anathema would be the go-to spell in that situation though.

The number one thing Rowinda has over druids is sustainability however. Dark Empathy is amazing. Soulbound is not, I'm rather tired of stuff that requires stagger, and unless you badly want to remove SP from that opponent, Dark Empathy is way better for mana. It's already up and running you say? Then refresh it, it's only 2 delay and when it's her turn again she will still be 20 mana richer. Or just melee to make the next turn come up faster.

On that note, when fighting Yeldin I noticed mana burns seem to ignore Guard...
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Taleweaver
Official writer

Post by Taleweaver »

jack1974 wrote:People playing Rowinda in act3 says is the most powerful spellscaster and probably is true :) Mouahahah! <insert Rowinda's laugh here>
And she's supposed to.

Riley's an illusionist whose main motivation is to entertain people. Druid!Althea/Shea is young and relatively inexperienced.

Rowinda is a warlock who's lived a life full of using her magic for mayhem and piracy. Why would she not be the most powerful spellcaster in her party?
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

If I didn't know what I was going to face, I would not use Rowinda actually, so I don't know about most powerful spellcaster per se. Definitely a monstrous row nuker though given her sustainability.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think depends on what you want to do:
- fight a single enemy mob? then Riley's Slumber and Mana Burn is more useful
- fight several enemies? then Rowinda's row nukes are definitely better