The random store selection

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Troyen
Elder Druid

Re: The random store selection

Post by Troyen »

renke_ wrote:small addition: I just saw a "Handcrafted Regenerating Morning Star" without regenerating abilities :) If you exclude regen to rare and above you should also change your name generator :)
Maybe it means the Morning Star itself regenerates if it gets damaged. You haven't had to pay any repair costs while using it, have you?
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

Troyen wrote:You haven't had to pay any repair costs while using it, have you?
Pssh, shut up - not that Jack will implement this. Equipment wearout is nearly as doubleplusunfun as food management.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Originally for Loren I wanted to implement a "Condition" value for each item to determine the effectiveness, but probably I'm glad I didn't do it :mrgreen:
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

I just played a ranger/hunter combo and for the first time I was able to use all the gold - though I feared my party would be mediocre equipped as all three chars are fighter-types with similar needs equipment-wise. But no, I shopped all the time and was able to improve my accessories with every shop restocking.

The selection for druids is simply too small, would it be possible to convince Shagala to expand her business?

PS regardings shops: I think Laroneas establishment should be called general store, general shop sounds somehow strange (a rather bold claim as English is not my native language - please correct me if I'm wrong ;))
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

I agree the selection is small, but I find that it's usually very rewarding to equip a druid. You can get some sweet +speed and +magic. If you try to outfit any other class armor-wise you'll mostly be looking at defense increases, and if you don't lose speed in the process you should be happy. Try to equip a hunter for the purpose of being a backliner. How much +attack can you get? A little from jewelry and weapons and that's it. That being said, classes that rely on their attack score seem to be well balanced around it being lower too, so it works out okay in that regard.

Also druid equipment is cheaper, presumably because price is a function of total stats and they don't have as much defense on their armor and damage on their weapons.

Of course if you're not willing to do a bit of mousewheel roulette you may still find it annoying to equip your druid :)
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

renke_ wrote:PS regardings shops: I think Laroneas establishment should be called general store, general shop sounds somehow strange (a rather bold claim as English is not my native language - please correct me if I'm wrong ;))
You're right, "General Store" is the most common term for that kind of establishment.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'll change the name then :)
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

yayswords wrote:Of course if you're not willing to do a bit of mousewheel roulette you may still find it annoying to equip your druid :)
nah, 1.5 hours of wheel-acrobatics feels too much like grinding - been there, done that, was shit.

I would propose to deactivate shop-shuffling altogether and increase the goods by 50 %.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

The inventory is randomed at some point. How are you going to prevent reloading it?

Improving the quality of the average item in the shop would certainly help either way. Shops randoming low quality items is so pointless, especially the ones that sell almost no items to begin with.

Mousewheel roulette is a symptom. The vastly varying quality of equipment from the so-far almost exclusive source thereof is the disease.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

There'll be more shops in Dingirra than in the small Ninim :)