SOTW 0.8.9 - First Act Beta preview!

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Bittersweet_Princess
Young scout

Re: SOTW 0.8.9 - First Act Beta preview!

Post by Bittersweet_Princess » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:06 pm

:shock: WOW!

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:03 pm

Made some more progresses today, however I underestimated a bit all the various places you can visit and variables :lol: so testing will be a bit of a mess but I know you're not afraid of bugs!
Like for example you can visit a place and the behavior changes based on actions that spans over 3-4 scenes (each one very long) so if I find bugs takes me time to go back and recheck etc. Anyways, I even managed to add a few of the various suggestions by Taleweaver for gameplay, like in the Steam tunnels the big / two handed weapons do half damage because there isn't enough space to use them properly 8) and so on. He put lots of those during the plot, and while in some cases I couldn't implement them (too much time or simply had no clue how to do it) every time I could I did it :)

yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:12 pm

So "big weapons" and "narrow spaces" don't mix well in your borderline hentai game? :P
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:22 pm

On the battlefield no :lol:
(happens only in that dungeon though so far, maybe will reuse it later)

Taleweaver
Official writer

Post by Taleweaver » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:39 pm

When writing the plot, I really got into the "...and this encounter has THIS special perk" mood. So expect lots of non-standard fights mixing up the usual tactical battle mode.

Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:45 pm

It only took me seven hours to write up that first list of 100 bugs/typos etc for the first chapter in Act 1. Maybe you'll get a bug report by the time you release Act 3. ;)

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:04 pm

I don't expect many "crash" bugs this time, since (luckily!) we already debugged the new changes I made to the engine. There might still be some of course, but I think most of them will be logic/plot bugs, like I forgot to check some variable and you can visit a place again, replay a scene two times, or skip some parts, etc. I have tested it, but only the "normal/expected" behavior :)

yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:01 am

You know, despite all the efforts I make in pursuit of powerful characters, one thing I don't do is keep extra gear around. A 50% penalty to twohanders is obviously a huge factor to consider, so I'd need to keep onehanders around for that. And probably some more alternate gear to not be caught flatfooted by other surprises.

The problem is that inventory management does not really encourage keeping extra gear around. At the store, you can sell all your weapons or you can sell them one by one. The moment I decide to keep one spare weapon around, I doom myself to selling all my "trash" weapons one by one (that's three clicks per item), or just mass selling and buying back the ones I use, but that will lose me gold.

If situational gear is gonna become this important, then there needs to be an easy way to store it. Maybe an inventory tab for items we don't want to sell, or a way to flag items as being ignored by the mass sell button. If you do the latter, they should also be easily recognized in our inventory, so that when we decide to look through our recent loots for what to keep and what to sell, we don't end up checking items we already know we want to keep.

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:32 am

So far happens only on that instance so it's not a big problem, but I already thought about having some sort of "trash tab" or another way to mark items "do not sell this item" like a checkbox. Of course need to see how long would take to implement this :mrgreen: I think probably since is just a dungeon won't add this feature yet (even if 2h do half damage is still possible to win I think).

yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:36 am

So the other combat twists won't punish/favor certain equipment choices then? :)