Let's talk combat

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
yayswords
Elder Druid

Re: Let's talk combat

Post by yayswords »

I'll do that for future playthroughs. Anyway so you're saying the only thing that matters for my skill damage is my stats, not my weapon damage?

Also for the record, this ranger/hunter party also relies heavily on the ranger regen spells. Some masochist should try a druid/hunter party under the current build. I imagine it would be hell :P

P.S. If you buff the crit damage I will probably start oneshotting backrow mobs with it. Right now it's - for the ratmen (not practice, real fight) anyway, since I fought them like fifteen times before I won so I remember well... right now it's Critical Hit + Aimed Shot to kill a backrow mob. And there is very little overkill damage.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

No no, the weapon damage should have an even bigger impact than Loren, where mattered more the stats! Of course I can still tweak that if needed :)
I buffed the critical damage to 300% :lol: seems fair since costs 25 SP, so now at least is like a druid spell. I think won't cause too much unbalancing.
And I actually am playing with druid/hunter, but in Hard difficulty. Is possible to win it, but of course Nightmare must be worse :lol:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Yeah the weapon damage has an impact as I thought, but WHICH weapon :P do my hunter abilities use my bow damage or melee weapon damage? I want to be certain.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

yayswords wrote: Some masochist should try a druid/hunter party under the current build. I imagine it would be hell :P
I do use such a setup (on normal) and the twins are not exactly useless, but The One damage dealer is Vaelis and his dual-axe throw skill thingy. I had so far no problems with the fights (just started chapter 4 (I think, my PC was just captured by Dingirra's merchants)), though the damage difference is striking.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Ay sorry for not clarifying it's nightmare. The lack of longevity without a ranger ought to be overwhelming, and there's not nearly enough burst to compensate, that's why I said it.

Side note: From a first season perspective it would make sense to replace the druid AoE's with some utility like more heals, a single target dispel etc. I can't see myself ever picking the AoE's right now. Maybe some later character could have those.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

yayswords wrote:Yeah the weapon damage has an impact as I thought, but WHICH weapon :P do my hunter abilities use my bow damage or melee weapon damage? I want to be certain.
Ahh OK. No you hunter abilities (well all abilities except magic) use the melee attack. I should probably change that based on the type of skill, but for now works like that.
yayswords wrote:Side note: From a first season perspective it would make sense to replace the druid AoE's with some utility like more heals, a single target dispel etc. I can't see myself ever picking the AoE's right now. Maybe some later character could have those.
There is purification that heals+reduces debuffs, and tree of life that resurrects+heal. I don't want to change the skills now, however I think will modify those a bit like:
Tree of life=heals 50% of single target, if is KO resurrects him first. This way you can also use it as normal single target heal :)
Speed Of Eagle=thinking to add a small health regen too to make it more powerful.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Right, well you gotta put a simpler dispel on some other character then. If everyone needs a heal and a dispel then Purification is awesome, but if you only wanna dispel one guy then 50 mana is a hefty price to pay.

Bigger melee weapon on hunter doesn't seem to help one bit with the damage of Critical Hit :(
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Right, will reduce that to 30 SP then, makes more sense.
Regarding the damage, what is your Attack and what is the target Defense? because if your Attack is 15, and target Defense is 50, is normal to have low damage (both on normal attack and special ones).
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Yeah that does seem consistent with what I am seeing, BUT it's not like I can solve that. There's almost nothing with +attack, just a bit on weapons and 1 per str point. I can maybe crank up my hunter's attack to 40, a little more with Rally, and that giant spider still has over a hundred defense.

Also this: Double Attack is a little gimped because you lose the Hide in Shadows buff between the first and the second attack.

Oh and my hunter is once again doing more damage with melee attacks than with bow. Bow damage can't compete with dual wield damage. It's only useful for attacking the back row.

My ranger, who was supposed to be the tank, is in the back row restoring people's health and mana. My hunter has almost no use for a bow. I love betas :D
Last edited by yayswords on Fri May 02, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Can you send me the savegame before that battle so I can do some tests and tweak? and if you have another BEFORE, so I can try to buy some weapons to see the difference :)