SOTW 0.79 - First Act Beta preview!

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
yayswords
Elder Druid

Re: SOTW 0.79 - First Act Beta preview!

Post by yayswords »

For those of us who are anal about getting a specific trait at the start, can you make it so that if you scroll the game back you can random a new trait story? Have to remake my twins as it is right now.

Okay bug: Vaelis' Avoidance is causing Bramble Coat damage to attackers. At least something he's doing is causing that... all I'm doing is putting up that and Defend and the combat log says enemies are taking Bramble Coat damage. And they are losing health. And Avoidance loses duration. There isn't even a ranger in the party. He also seems to be getting the Bramble Coat defense bonuses rather than the greater one of Avoidance. BUT he IS getting the correct speed penalty at least :P

I am skeptical about the way the system considers items to be upgrades. Like it says some random shoulders with far less defense are an "upgrade" for Vaelis, because they provide +22 resistance to Tired. Even if it were +22 to something that actually happens in the first season I would be skeptical. At least resistances should be divided by something before you sum up the stats and have the system compare the items to decide if it's an upgrade.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

fabulaparva wrote:Not sure if this is how it was supposed to be, but after raising attribute points to 19 in any trait, every additional step eats up 2 attribute points instead of 1.
I got a list of 8 completed quests in my quest book, but the counter on top of the screen shows 7/8 even just before launching the final event.
Yes the attribute point is OK, is intended.
The quests instead should work, but perhaps in the bandits stealing pelt you finished the quest with a failure (some quests can be failed)? I should change the quests screen to show active, completed and failed quests otherwise is hard to remember :)
yayswords wrote:Okay bug: Vaelis' Avoidance is causing Bramble Coat damage to attackers. At least something he's doing is causing that... all I'm doing is putting up that and Defend and the combat log says enemies are taking Bramble Coat damage. And they are losing health. And Avoidance loses duration. There isn't even a ranger in the party. He also seems to be getting the Bramble Coat defense bonuses rather than the greater one of Avoidance. BUT he IS getting the correct speed penalty at least :P
Ah lol that's weird! I'll try to reproduce it here :lol:
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

Didn't you fix it so you don't have to spend EVERY attribute point to proceed? I had to increase something I didn't want because the stuff I wanted was in 20+ and I only had 1 point left :)
fabulaparva
Elder Druid

Post by fabulaparva »

jack1974 wrote:
fabulaparva wrote: I got a list of 8 completed quests in my quest book, but the counter on top of the screen shows 7/8 even just before launching the final event.
The quests instead should work, but perhaps in the bandits stealing pelt you finished the quest with a failure (some quests can be failed)? I should change the quests screen to show active, completed and failed quests otherwise is hard to remember :)
I think I completed all the quests. After failing the pelts-quest during a previous run on lower difficulty, I got pretty adamant about not failing it again - ever. :lol: However, since it took me quite long to finish the Beta in Nm-mode and it was quite late at that point, I guess it's fairly possible I remember wrong... Yeah, showing failed quests separately in the logbook would help!

And, oh, now that I remember, I really, really, really like the title-screen music. I hope it'll remain in the final product as well. :)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

yayswords wrote:Didn't you fix it so you don't have to spend EVERY attribute point to proceed? I had to increase something I didn't want because the stuff I wanted was in 20+ and I only had 1 point left :)
Ah no! it's one of the things that was on the to-do list, but then actually didn't do it :lol: will do on next update!!
Also showing failed quests.

And the title music will stay there of course, all tracks are custom made. There are more in the works including a theme song that won't be j-pop like Loren :mrgreen:
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

yayswords wrote:I am skeptical about the way the system considers items to be upgrades. Like it says some random shoulders with far less defense are an "upgrade" for Vaelis, because they provide +22 resistance to Tired. Even if it were +22 to something that actually happens in the first season I would be skeptical. At least resistances should be divided by something before you sum up the stats and have the system compare the items to decide if it's an upgrade.
Yes, the individual resistance bonuses are minuscule compared to the other stats (unless you specifically need a whole bunch of one resistance for some reason).

For weapons it's OK right now, though it thinks a 2H is always an upgrade over a 1H instead of counting both 1H and off-hand (for duel-weilding). Armor really should only count Defense, Magic, Speed, HP Regen, and SP Regen since that's what almost all buying decisions are based on.
Troyen
Elder Druid

Post by Troyen »

Quick question: how are the "auto" attributes assigned?

It seems to be random (at least in 0.7.9), especially if I reset and try again. Sometimes it's offering to put points into strength for a druid and I've even seen 3 points into arcane on a ranger (specifically it offered 1 Str, 1 Skill, 3 Arcane).

While "auto" shouldn't be the perfect allocation, perhaps it should favor some attributes over others when suggesting points on a class basis?

Likewise, auto-assigning a random skill might not be the best idea on character creation (I got fireball on one try which is not so helpful in this act). Perhaps automatically pick whatever the fixed skill was back in 0.7 (which was a heal, I think?) and if people want something different they can choose for themselves.

Sidenote: you fixed the "she was discovered to have" typo for Althea beating up goblins but it's still there for the "jump through fire" option.

The Wagon trait where Shea gets touched on the forehead is still increasing his max HP/SP, but not his starting HP/SP. I'm starting a fight at 65/71 and 45/49, which lines up with the 5% bonus from the trait.
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

It's been a while...

http://imgur.com/rUDjzww

happened when clicking the help button in the tanner shop

BTW I had a party (the 0 con one) finish NM 250-300 exp shy of level 7 :P
Bittersweet_Princess
Young scout

Post by Bittersweet_Princess »

Same error for me, while battling after I've activated the bear hunting quest for Vaelis, everytime. I tried to fight the monsters near the traps and also the ratmen

jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Had to go out today, but will do the 0.8 later with the new non-derived stats and fixing those issues (I get the default problem too).
When comparing items the resistances are indeed divided, so that have less weight, at least I think.
The auto-attributes uses weighted random, meaning that for each class there are certain attributes that are more likely to be assigned. But maybe I did some errors, going to check.
As for the skill, either I give the player the choice, or I assign a predefined skill. I think that putting a text "is recommended you learn healing skills" should be enough. Otherwise the only other solution is to eliminate the choice because once a skill is learned is problematic to "unlearn" it, and I don't want to spend too much time on that since is just a small thing happening at the beginning, after 5min of play you can already level up just following the main plot, so...