pre order bonus

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

pre order bonus

Post by jack1974 »

I'm still far from being able to offer pre-orders (I have too bureaucratic/admin things to take care of recently!) but I am wondering what people would like as preorders for this game.
I am thinking to offer the chance to get a random Rare item at beginning of the game. In practice you'd see a screen where you can create a random rare item of any category. You would get this bonus at beginning of each game of course, so not a one-time thing.

I'm also thinking about something else, but I'm not sure what people could like. I thought about an exclusive side-mission but then would be a pity, since some people might complain that they missed the preorders for any reason and couldn't play it. So I don't think I'll do that.

If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. Small stuff mostly, since I can't do any big thing now (for Loren 2 I'm seriously considering doing a mini-comic or something like that).
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: pre order bonus

Post by Miakoda »

I'm still far from being able to offer pre-orders (I have too bureaucratic/admin things to take care of recently!) but I am wondering what people would like as preorders for this game.
I am thinking to offer the chance to get a random Rare item at beginning of the game. In practice you'd see a screen where you can create a random rare item of any category. You would get this bonus at beginning of each game of course, so not a one-time thing.
The item sounds like a good idea.

Something to consider is that some people do get upset if they are unable to get the limited content at a later point (like the extra side-mission you mentioned).
Last edited by Miakoda on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

I am not sure if a pre-order-bonus is such a good idea. However, as you seem to have decided you want to go the route, make it
1) small (i.e. nothing which unbalances the game, like armor of immunity to everything. And no bonus quest, either - but that you ruled out already. A comic would be OK, as it does not influence the game.)
2) make it personalised; for example, if you give the player a starting armor (dagger/bow/robe/whatever), call it "personal armor for firstname.lastname" where the names may either be entered the first time you get the item, or are taken from the email associated with the registration.
SpectralTime
Woods ranger

Post by SpectralTime »

Hmmm... earlier, you showed some of the possible color schemes for each character. How much trouble would it be to offer the ability to allow pre-order customers to change off to those?
ValHallen
Druid

Post by ValHallen »

Extra skin exclusive to preorders
DunKalar
Woods ranger

Post by DunKalar »

I want a special Chalassa sexy suit for combat or beach parties :-D

Otherwhise, special sorts of individualization possibilities in the character generator are nice. You have more design options (i.e. colours, head decoration, sexy suits, a "pet" than appears on the sprite, and so on) that make a difference but do not unbalance the game.

A rare starting item would have a huge effect on the starting progression of the game I think.
#ChambarasArmy #ChalassasFreedomFighters
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Sorry but extra character customization is NOT a small thing for 2d games :mrgreen: besides, at current speed of artist could delay the game by 1 month so I don't want that.
No worries about the Rare item, it won't unbalance the game since the best items are still quest-related.
But yes no extra quest or anything big. I think just the item will do :)
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

a fanservice photo of the dev team
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
Sylrissa
Druid

Post by Sylrissa »

Yeah make it something small and nice for fans to reward them, but not anything that would make people feel they missed out when they pick the game up a year from now for example.

Good call on not making a exclusive quest too.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

yayswords wrote:a fanservice photo of the dev team
Ahem, I don't think you want to see me wearing a druid robe :mrgreen:

Jokes apart yes will do something small, I need to focus to work on the game since is likely that next month will be again very busy for me... more games could get on Steam (Planet Stronghold, Always Remember Me and Spirited Heart) and more paperwork/admin stuff to do. Of course, they're good things, but I want to find some time for gamedev since is what I really like :)