leveling skills (idea)

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Re: leveling skills (idea)

Post by Miakoda »

jack1974 wrote:Or I could make up a new class name myself :lol: like "Protector" or whatever, as long as they can use heavy armors :)
There are a lot of names available, and some do suggest various specialties. Off-hand, renk_e already mentioned Guardian. There is also Sentinel, Mymidon, Warden...
nullzero
Young scout

Post by nullzero »

Warrior, Guardian, Protector, Warden, Sentinel... all good names :) But yes, a character with the ability to use heavy armor would be good. Though I would probably go for a more stealthy char myself if I was playing.

Hmmm... never heard of Mymidon... "a member of a legendary Thessalian people who accompanied their king Achilles in the Trojan War. A loyal follower" ... hmmm... nice!
yayswords
Elder Druid

Post by yayswords »

If you have an explanation for why the isolated hunting community would have someone specialized in defending against other civilized races or unnatural threats, then you can easily derive the name from said explanation. And it's a better approach than picking the coolest loosely defined class name and making it fit the lore. You can even let the village call those people rangers, the important part is why it would be considered plausible for them to have these warriors around. They aren't going to have a metal monstrosity hunt or tend the forest.

P.S. not unmotivated to give the hunter some degree of stealth capability, so I hope your dream comes true there even if it can't be a full-fledged assassin.
If at first try it doesn't explode, it ain't Jack who wrote the code.
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

If you need a rationale for placing massively armed warriors in an out-of-the-way village you could use the Roman military as example: They had some kind of road police/military police placed everywhere in the empire, the job title was "beneficiarius" (I love the irony of calling crowd-control troops benefit-doers ;)).

PS afaik it should be myrmidon, with an extra R
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I think had an idea while taking a walk, will call them "Guardian" (of the Forest). The equivalent of the human Paladin, they can wear heavy armors and have powerful but limited healing skills (thinking about a sort of "Lay Hands" with a big amount of SP needed or very long delay).

Like Paladins they can just be in a mission from God, or just wanting to do the right thing, or protect the citizens from wild beasts.

I'm having all classes some sort of heal/defense because I want to limit the potion-spamming technique that people used in Loren :wink: there'll be potions but they'll be much more expensive, so that you can simply stock 50 restore potions and then not fear any enemy :)
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

In Loren the potion-spamming is only possible against Bosses. If you do it against any random foe, you quickly run out of potions. Also, IIRC the stores had only limited quantities of potions. (you could aways grind, and sometimes a low-level potion would be dropped, but the time needed for this...) However, if you needed to heal in boss battles, potions had a lot less delay than any spells.

I did not think the balance was done that badly. If you wanted to keep it, why not?

On the other hand, a changed balance means having fun in figuring out how to fight best under the new circumstances, so the changes are fine with me too.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Ah OK, thought the potion situation was worse than what you explained :)
In any case there are so many differences that yes the balancing is completely different in this game, so not just for the potions, but for the classes that are more versatile than Loren. Even the tanks can heal (of course with some big tradeoff) and the hits don't do big damage like before, Thieves are more powerful, etc etc.

Of course will see once the beta starts if there are some big problems. Otherwise finding some "tricks" as long as aren't really game-breaking, I think is the fun part of RPGs :)
renke_
Elder Druid

Post by renke_ »

jack1974 wrote:the hits don't do big damage like before
:'(

I tried to build a party in Loren completely optimized for quickness and high-yield damage (think all mages + thieves) - great at the beginning, middle- and end-game are nearly impossible as the possible damage done in the first round is not enough to kill or critical damage all enemies. Personally I'm not a fan of artificially prolonged combats (high hit-points, low damage), and your short sentence indicates that this approach is even broadened in SotW.

There goes my favorite tactic ;)
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well what's the fun of a battle that ends in 2-3 turns anyway!?!?!?!? :mrgreen:
Jokes apart depends on the enemies, some will also have less hit points or lower defense, some will be much lower level, and also on skills. I want to have skills that do much more damage, in Loren I had some doing 125% normal damage, here I want some to have 300% normal damage (of course they'll cost a lot of SP). So what you say should be possible this time but have side-effects :)
Miakoda
Elder Druid

Post by Miakoda »

Not necessarily for SotW, but in future games you may also allow for 'natural' armors which can be as protective as metallic heavy armors. Maybe they are harvested from extraordinary, maybe even magical sources.

For example, in Magic Stones, you have spiders which weave silk as strong as steel. It isn't that much of a stretch to figure some people have domesticated that type of spider, and make a killing selling 'Steelsilk'.

If you are looking at trees, maybe there is an 'Ironbark' tree which allows one to craft a piece of wood armor...