attributes, skills & level up

The tale of the siblings Althea and Shea https://www.winterwolves.com/seasonsofthewolf.htm
jack1974
Pack leader

Re: attributes, skills & level up

Post by jack1974 »

I think the first 3 will be like Loren (since I remember some people complaining already that Hard in Loren was too hard, but also many others saying was too easy). Nightmare will be another level up from Hard, and I plan to make it really PAINFUL! <evil laugh>.
P_Tigras
Druid

Post by P_Tigras »

jack1974 wrote:I think the first 3 will be like Loren (since I remember some people complaining already that Hard in Loren was too hard, but also many others saying was too easy). Nightmare will be another level up from Hard, and I plan to make it really PAINFUL! <evil laugh>.
Sounds good, just as long as we get more treats too to go along with the greater threat. :wink:

(Since English isn't your native language Jack, and just in case my little joke has flown over your head, I was letting you know about a misspelling in the image you attached earlier via teasing, ie. treat should be threat. )
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Oops, yes I know the difference but missed it and I didn't get your joke :lol: Tricks or treats, I can get this game out for Halloween!
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

I'm finishing the character creation now (almost done, only a screen left), and I thought for the sake of variety to have each of the twins pick "traits", a sort of permanent bonus.
I wanted it to be in the form of a menu choice based on a past event, like I did in Spirited Heart or like you see in other CYOA games.

Something like (crap example I just made up):
"Althea will never forget the day of her 10th birthday, because that day...

1... she found a precious enchanted amulet that gave her a permanent Will boost
2... she learned how to hunt with bow and arrow, increasing her damage with bows by +5
3... she almost died outside in a snow storm and was ill in bed for days, but as result she became more resistant to cold Element"
such thing, I plan to only have 2 traits for each character. I am not sure yet if the other party characters will have them (preselected) or not, or you'll be able to pick them, but I thought that the two main characters should be somewhat more powerful 8)
Pace675
Druid

Post by Pace675 »

Oooo now that is a very nifty ideal, and adds a little personal touch to the player's character. Each unique in their own way.
Lonestar51
Elder Druid

Post by Lonestar51 »

Hmmm ... the examples you brought were a bit too tailored for a certain class. Except the cold resistance, which is always useful. But damage using bows is only useful if you intend to make it the chars main occupation...

Well, maybe I am just being my usual self, nitpicking too early. (If it is possibly, I am not sure. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) Anyway, the basic idea is great. Of course the PC and sibling have some special strengths, otherwise why are they called to rescue the world? And such a choice makes it more a element of a story, less just a stat boost.
Nightsnow
Young scout

Post by Nightsnow »

I like the idea of traits. And as Pace75 said, it adds a nice little personal touch to some of the stats.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

Well maybe I can have different "backstories" based on the character Class, or restrict the bonus only to generic - good for everyone. Since I was planning two traits max each twin, I could make one trait but x 3 Classes.
jack1974
Pack leader

Post by jack1974 »

final version, with the help text displayed below. I changed some attribute names so they would fit better, since Wisdom was OK for Spell point, but not much for Skill points.
Next thing to do is the character traits and then can work on the skills, I plan to mostly reuse the one I have already posted in the other thread, with some minor changes:
1) no percentage damage/heal anymore but fixed amounts
2) trying to make each skill with different levels, removing duplicates. So there isn't Heal I-II-III, but only Heal and then you can spend several points to improve it
3) because of point 2, remove many skills, but add a few more extra, that you can unlock at higher level and are more powerful :)

that's the plan at least, need to see how feasible it is!

p.s. as you see I decided to give 9 skill points to allocate, so more than 5 :) I probably will have to balance the amount of HP/SP you get each skill point a bit, after some testing.
Valorous_Roland
Young scout

Post by Valorous_Roland »

That outfit is beautiful, too... (Yeah, that's what I notice first!)

It's great to see this all coming together! I can't say I really understand all the damage-technical stuff, but this sounds good!

Although I do have one issue with removing duplicate skills. Now this may just be because I sucked at Loren, but I'd often use Heal I or II if I didn't need a full heal (but I knew I was going to be damaged next turn), or if I couldn't afford it SP-wise. So... No more of that?